Ian St. John

KirkySuperSub

9 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

One of the greatest players Scotland has ever produced, and one of our own, local Motherwell boy, same class at school as my mum.

Never saw him play as just before my time but a true Motherwell and Scottish legend, sad day for football. 

Condolences to his family.

Before my time but the name is synonymous with Liverpool & Motherwell.

Shankly is known to credited his signings of St. John and Ron Yates as instrumental to Liverpool's rise.

Think he worked at Motherwell Bridgeworks while signing for Motherwell and didn't he score a 2 1/2 minute hat-trick at a league cup tie at Easter Rd once?

Singy, you're in with the bricks. 

Like others just before my time but his legacy is up there with the all time greats at the club.

As our manager he increased our attendances big tim with a very exciting and attacking brand of football. I was really frustrated when he moved so soon back to England to manage Portsmouth as I felt we were fast becoming one of the best outfits in Scotland. He also brought to the club my hero of the time Peter Marinello.

R.I.P. Sinjy.

Never got to see him play, but that team he managed were a joy to watch at the time. Secured our first victories against Celtic (certainly in the 9 in a row years) in my lifetime and had us as a force to be reckoned with.

On a church billboard in Liverpoool the immortal words “ Jesus Saves” to which were added “and St John scores the rebound”

RIP Saint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My absolute hero.  Remember  as a kid telling the barber how I loved him and the barber gave me a crew cut just like him. I was at Ibrox when we beat Rangers 5-2. I think the next round when we lost to Airdrie made up his mind to leave. 

Hampden 1961. Centre forward for Scotland Ian St John FP of Calder Primary CF for England Joe Baker FP of Park Street School later Cathedral primary half a mile away. 

Thanks for the memories 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sinjy said:

My absolute hero.  Remember  as a kid telling the barber how I loved him and the barber gave me a crew cut just like him. I was at Ibrox when we beat Rangers 5-2. I think the next round when we lost to Airdrie made up his mind to leave. 

Hampden 1961. Centre forward for Scotland Ian St John FP of Calder Primary CF for England Joe Baker FP of Park Street School later Cathedral primary half a mile away. 

Thanks for the memories 

I'm probably wrong but I had always been led to believe St John was a FP of Muir St Primary.

Happy to be corrected.

46 minutes ago, livivoice said:

I'm probably wrong but I had always been led to believe St John was a FP of Muir St Primary.

Happy to be corrected.

Definitely a Calder boy ( like me) ........mentions the school a couple of times in his autobiography  playing in a  cup final and on ash park and the ball having to be fished out from the River Calder

Lived in Scott Street

2 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

His goals to games ratio at Fir Park is astonishing, 80 goals in 113 appearances. A truly phenomenal player.

And if you include cup games, he racked up 105 goals in 144 games. Impressive stats in an equally impressive team.

Sadly never got to seem him play, but I do remember the season he was manager at Fir Park.

Very sad to hear, like a few on here, he was before my time (just) but I fondly remember the team he built and how annoyed I was when he left after one year.

I know the fee from Liverpool built the P O'D stand, but I'm sure he once claimed that if the Motherwell board had shown some ambition and not cashed in on him and a few others (different days children, the club had you until they allowed you to go, none of this Bosman stuff), then Motherwell would have been the Scottish team of the 60's  and not Celtic.

Im too you to remember him as a player. But his reputation at Fir Park is well known. I dont remember his managerial stint but he was responsible for a huge part of "my first Motherwell". If all he ever did was pair Wullie P and Bobby Graham together he would be a hero to me. Thankfully he did so much more. A fantastic career as a player and you have to think he would have earned many more Scotland caps if he hadnt been born in the same era as Denis Law. What Scotland would give to have someone like that available this summer.

RIP SAINT.