Bounce game v hearts

Neilwell86

6 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

All about minutes in the legs for most. Lawless the only January signing with game time.

Trialist played also.

any names for the trialist  otf  ???      i would imagine heez not connected to any team just now so thats why he could play

I wonder how much money we are contributing towards the salary of Nolan and Smith?

As for Foley, I'm assuming he isn't exactly one of our lower earners on a full time contract. The full thing seems bizarre with the bodies we brought in. I'm assuming most of them were prior arranged to Alexander and we went along with it - the strategy of singing non-fit players in January reeks of Foyle. 

Hopefully get back to rebuilding our Youth structure when all this is over. Most teams will be in the same boat and I suspect/hope there is a core of youngsters known to us champing at the bit to get their careers moving forward. Staying in the PL can only help us secure these kids, especially financially

Where would we be without the income the system has generated over the years? Not just the likes of Turnbull but many others who have moved on for decent money before really getting to first team level. 

I hope Stevie Hammell will still be involved and I also wonder if there is a role for Keith Lasley to play. Too much to hope for the return of Stephen Craigen as I think his results show he was excellent with the younger age groups and took them to a level Maurice Ross struggled to match.  Whatever the Coaching structure is, the sooner the youngsters get back playing the better. Could the summer break be a time to get ahead of the game?

One of the reasons Craigan left is that he saw how the new Reserve structure was going to make it close to impossible to match the levels he had set. So no surprise that anybody who took over had a big challenge on their hands.

With the lower leagues starting up again, no doubt we'll be trying to send out a few youngsters on loan again.

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

I wonder how much money we are contributing towards the salary of Nolan and Smith?

As for Foley, I'm assuming he isn't exactly one of our lower earners on a full time contract. The full thing seems bizarre with the bodies we brought in. I'm assuming most of them were prior arranged to Alexander and we went along with it - the strategy of singing non-fit players in January reeks of Foyle. 

I don't disagree that it is indeed bizarre that some have featured so little or not at all, or that there will have been a list of players who have been on a shortlist based on the club/DOF/previous manager's requirements.

But as asked before when an attempt was made to absolve Alexander of any involvement in the January recruitment, are we to believe that a manager who has turned down several positions because the circumstances weren't right for him is going to relocate his family to join a club a couple of miles up the road  who struggling team in a relegation battle and for whom relegation is going to dent his reputation, is going to to accept a job in the knowledge that there are four or five players whom he doesn't want going to be foisted upon him?

I just don't buy that.

16 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I don't disagree that it is indeed bizarre that some have featured so little or not at all, or that there will have been a list of players who have been on a shortlist based on the club/DOF/previous manager's requirements.

But as asked before when an attempt was made to absolve Alexander of any involvement in the January recruitment, are we to believe that a manager who has turned down several positions because the circumstances weren't right for him is going to relocate his family to join a club a couple of miles up the road  who struggling team in a relegation battle and for whom relegation is going to dent his reputation, is going to to accept a job in the knowledge that there are four or five players whom he doesn't want going to be foisted upon him?

I just don't buy that.

I'm hoping some of the signings were subject to a medical and come with a return to sender address. 

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

I'm hoping some of the signings were subject to a medical and come with a return to sender address. 

Tend to agree. You'd think that if loanees pick up a serious injury that keeps them out for weeks/months that they'd go back to their own clubs. I'm sure I've read that in the past.

41 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I just don't buy that.

It's a fair point. 

If your 'hunch' is correct however it leaves me with about 50% fear for the summer. There is a mammoth rebuilding job to be done; not only in re-building a squad with arguably only 7/8 first team players on the books come June. We signed very well in Kelly and have unlocked something in Roberts however Magloire still gives me the fear (despite improved performances).  The trick will be replacing our established players whom we all know to be comfortably good enough for this level, whilst not being worldbeaters (Gallagher, Campbell, O'Donnell etc). Hopefully GA will have learned enough and will learn enough between now and the end of the season to know that the squad rebuild has to contain a solid 7/8 stick on first team players that will first and foremost keep us in the division. 

On a side note, does anyone have some insight on Grimshaw and his illness?

2 hours ago, Andy_P said:

I just don't buy that.

Maybe, maybe not.

But then again, he didn't have many options as he joined us after the window opened and without a chance to fully assess what we had in the way of playing personnel.

While some people like to think you just go out and find what you need in a weekend, as Robinson and others have pointed out - particularly in the January window - it can take months (or even years) to identify a target and work out an appropriate time to bring them in.

To flip your scenario on its head, are we re we to believe that a manager who has turned down several positions because the circumstances weren't right for him is going to relocate his family to join a club a couple of miles up the road  who struggling team in a relegation battle and for whom relegation is going to dent his reputation, would accept a role where he believes he can keep a team in the league with the already available players with the promise of full autonomy over the running of the team and with a promise of a budget and full control over signings in the summer would worry about a few loanees he can punt or ignore if he doesn't want them?

Probably.

Also I think the January signings stuff is a bit harsh.

Brought in 6 players.

3 started our last 2 games and played well.

One was coming off the bench regularly before an injury. 

So thats leaves 2 out of 6 that are either carrying injuries or aren't up to the level anymore (they are both older players and sometimes players just fall off a cliff edge at that age).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, smiddy said:

any names for the trialist  otf  ???      i would imagine heez not connected to any team just now so thats why he could play

His first name was Jason but I didn't hear his second name. I believe he and David Devine played well.