Season 2020’21: Game 33: Kilmarnock (A)

Andy_P

6 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Say aye to a Killie, bye bye...

Getting a bit crusty in your old age, sir :D.

Nothing against the tattie-howkers, apart from their plastic pitch (their old grass pitch was excellent),  but  this fixture is our chance to win and start planning for next season, whch will be a huge job for GA.

Any kind of win would be a fantastic result. Killie are playing for survival and must realise that they have to get something out of this match. Right now, I'd be more than happy to take a point and move on to the post split fixtures with a clear idea of what we need to achieve to ensure top league football for another season.

We hardly coasted the last game against them, so this won't be an easy one, but we have improved since then. If we can take our chances I think we will be fine. I wouldn't complain at a point here though, that would all but guarantee we can't finish bottom. 

There is still work  to do, a couple of wins from the last 6 games and we will  be safe, so we need to be focused.  A win on Saturday would see us 13 clear of  Killie, and possibly  12 in front of Accies if results go our way, so a great place to be going into the last 5 games.

Kiltie being absent through injury is good for us. One of their better players.

With the International break after this game would not like a defeat to stew on. Tommy Wright will be telling his players they are running out of chances and I would expect them to start brightly. If we can match their intensity and show same application as last two games I am hopeful of at least one point.  Our forwards may give us the edge in this one. 

Same team as last game I would assume. Although I would expect Gallacher to return as Captain to mark Lafferty. Also suspect he needs to play with the International’s coming up. GA made it plain he needed more training and bounce game (s) to get back to full fitness. 

A point would do, as far as making sure Killie won't catch us, but we still need to keep an eye on Accies and County, so we should really be looking to beat a team at the bottom and on an utterly pish run of form. If we're very lucky, results wise, we could be just about safe from the play-off too.

• Like 1

Absolute worst case on Saturday in terms of results and we still go in to the split 7 points clear of bottom and 6 points clear of play off so despite what will be said on here we won't be doomed if we lose on Saturday.

That being said if we win and Accies and County lose then I think we could possibly be mathematically safe, though would need to get the pen and paper out for that.

2 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

That being said if we win and Accies and County lose then I think we could possibly be mathematically safe, though would need to get the pen and paper out for that.

If that's the case then we would be on 38 pts so killie, accies and Rc could only get 40, 41 and 44 pts respectively if they win their last 5 games, but only 1 of them can do that so the max totals for the other 2 would drop by 3 pts.

Don't think it will be settled this game, but a win on Saturday and another 1st game after the split will see us safe.

From doing some quick scribbling if we win and County and Accies lose then the worst case would be a three way tie on 38 points at the bottom.  So the only way we could finish 12th would be on goal difference.

Theres a few combinations of results that see us 11th even if everything goes our way on Saturday. Though you would get long odds on us finishing 11th if that happened.

I see from the photos of training on the Club Twitter account that Big Bevis is back training after the shoulder injury, not sure if he is available for Saturday though.

The big man's height could be useful against Lafferty though I still worry about his tendency to dive into a tackle, especially within his own 18 yard box.