Season 2020’21: Game 33: Kilmarnock (A)

Andy_P

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Yep, we should not have been waiting for what’s happed today.

Not sure what you mean Yorky, but this result has been on the cards for a few weeks now. Despite playing well generally and getting some decent results our defence has consistently looked vulnerable and the fact that we largely contained the likes of Livingston and St Mirren was more to do with them being toothless up front. In short we glossed over our defensive frailties. Some team with a bit of punch up front was always going to give us a doing. That team just happened to be Kilmarnock. Going into today's game there was a general feeling of complacency and over confidence.

No cause for panic and if we can pick up a few draws or a win after the break we should be fine.  The key thing is for GA to learn from our mistakes. 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We realistically need one win.

If we can't get one win then we don't deserve to stay up but I strongly suspect we'll be OK.

Lot of work needs done though.  We need a McGhee Mk I change of culture at the club.  A professional bench mark needs set.

so did hibs years ago    before the split ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hamilton beat them in the playoffs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not sure what you mean Yorky, but this result has been on the cards for a few weeks now. Despite playing well generally and getting some decent results our defence has consistently looked vulnerable and the fact that we largely contained the likes of Livingston and St Mirren was more to do with them being toothless up front. In short we glossed over our defensive frailties. Some team with a bit of punch up front was always going to give us a doing. That team just happened to be Kilmarnock. Going into today's game there was a general feeling of complacency and over confidence.

No cause for panic and if we can pick up a few draws or a win after the break we should be fine.  The key thing is for GA to learn from our mistakes. 

After match comments an honest assessment? Screams not learning from mistakes and managing any change to me.

5 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

We played right into Killie's hands. Long punts up the park to their tall defence was never going to work. But we did it all game, we didn't try playing any football on the ground. Hopeless!

You can't play football on that pitch. No one has managed it yet. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I just thought that playing an inexperienced young player instead of a club captain and full Scottish international was the wrong move. Not a problem if we were statistically safe but why take the chance otherwise when we still needed a win, just give him time after that point. I do get the idea of not changing a winning team but as you say the defence has still looked vulnerable and although he’s had a poor season by his standards he’s still the best centre half at the club by some margin and waiting for the inevitable defeat to re- introduce him smacked a bit of failing to make the big decision for me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I just thought that playing an inexperienced young player instead of a club captain and full Scottish international was the wrong move. Not a problem if we were statistically safe but why take the chance otherwise when we still needed a win, just give him time after that point. I do get the idea of not changing a winning team but as you say the defence has still looked vulnerable and although he’s had a poor season by his standards he’s still the best centre half at the club by some margin and waiting for the inevitable defeat to re- introduce him smacked a bit of failing to make the big decision for me. 

Ditto..........if we were safe no problems

Keeper for the first and the youngster for 2@4

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

I see Mr Wright moaning about Alan Burrows being in the technical area trying to talk to the 4th official, Tommy reckons he is not on any team sheet and shouldn’t be in the technical area!!

I can see his point.

I see Mr Wright moaning about Alan Burrows being in the technical area trying to talk to the 4th official, Tommy reckons he is not on any team sheet and shouldn’t be in the technical area!!

He's right, assuming Burrows really wasn't on the list. Non-listed club officials have to stay out of the technical area.

11 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I just thought that playing an inexperienced young player instead of a club captain and full Scottish international was the wrong move.

Why would GA drop magloire ? His performances in the previous 2 games had earned him the right to keep his place, and there was nothing to suggest he would not have had another decent game. All this crap about Gallacher annoys me, he messed the club about during the January window,trying to force his own agenda and will be away in 5 games time so for me he does not give a fuck about the club. He came on against Hibs and his 1st contribution nearly cost us a goal.  If It was up to me he would be in the stands beside Foley and Nolan and never play for us again.

• Like 5

dont know why he was moaning

alan burrows has no infulance on the pitch        and at best heez only played 5s n maybe cuppy at school    so not going to have any say   ps the 5s n cuppy is only my opinion :D

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Why would GA drop magloire ? His performances in the previous 2 games had earned him the right to keep his place, and there was nothing to suggest he would not have had another decent game. All this crap about Gallacher annoys me, he messed the club about during the January window,trying to force his own agenda and will be away in 5 games time so for me he does not give a fuck about the club. He came on against Hibs and his 1st contribution nearly cost us a goal.  If It was up to me he would be in the stands beside Foley and Nolan and never play for us again.

Like the agenda most players have .......move to a bigger pay packet.......Alexander made the decision and it clearly backfired 

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

i would agree ,   but playing magloire up against a slippy cant like lafferty maybe in hindsight wasnt a good idea  but as regards gallacher if we were safe i would give him a zipped up zute suit on the bench 

Just now, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

.Alexander made the decision and it clearly backfired 

That's the point though GA never had a decision to make, settled team, all playing well, won the last 2 games so no changes required, Gallacher was never starting the game.

6 minutes ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Like the agenda most players have .......move to a bigger pay packet.......Alexander made the decision and it clearly backfired 

And he made the same decision before the Livingstone game which "backfired" into a three - one win. He could have picked DG for that one, we lose, and drop him for Kilmarnock, we lose that one and we really would be in the mire.

Or to put it another way, if yer Auntie had baws.................

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

After match comments an honest assessment? Screams not learning from mistakes and managing any change to me.

Just heard his interview and going by his comments and body language he wasn't a happy man. Referred to technical ability alone not being enough and something being missing. I think he's learning fast who he can rely on and who he can't.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, grumpy said:

And he made the same decision before the Livingstone game which "backfired" into a three - one win. He could have picked DG for that one, we lose, and drop him for Kilmarnock, we lose that one and we really would be in the mire.

The thing is though that had Livvy have had more punch up front they might well have snatched a point or even won. Although the defence played reasonably well as a unit, it still showed serious weaknesses.