Season 2020’21: Game 33: Kilmarnock (A)

Andy_P

18 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Then thing is though that had Livvy have had more punch up front they might well have snatched a point or even won. Although the defence played reasonably well as a unit, it still showed serious weaknesses.

I agree, but sticking with a winning team is not an unreasonable approach. He could have changed the team for Livvy and won, stuck with that team today and who knows what would have happened, hence the "Auntie had baws" comment ( which you left out of the quote)

The bottom line for me though is, I think we will be safe, and GA will learn more from days like today than an easy game with a team which may, largely, be playing somewhere else next season.

• Like 1

That was an interesting interview with Alexander. He clearly isn't happy. It looks like he has lost patience with at least some of the squad and knows that this team can just roll over at times. It looks like he wants the end of this season to come just as much as most of us on this board.

1 minute ago, MFCL84 said:

That was an interesting interview with Alexander. He clearly isn't happy. It looks like he has lost patience with at least some of the squad and knows that this team can just roll over at times. It looks like he wants the end of this season to come just as much as most of us on this board.

totally agree and i said as mutch on the GA thread,,,,,,, something reeks of shite 

45 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Why would GA drop magloire ? His performances in the previous 2 games had earned him the right to keep his place, and there was nothing to suggest he would not have had another decent game. All this crap about Gallacher annoys me, he messed the club about during the January window,trying to force his own agenda and will be away in 5 games time so for me he does not give a fuck about the club. He came on against Hibs and his 1st contribution nearly cost us a goal.  If It was up to me he would be in the stands beside Foley and Nolan and never play for us again.

I get the feeling about Gallagher but regardless the most important thing is surely staying in the top flight ? With that in mind who is the better of the two players at this stage of their careers and that’s without doubt Gallagher. For me that’s all that matters, Gallagher will be away regardless and will be forgotten pretty quickly, relegation won’t be.

1 hour ago, grumpy said:

And he made the same decision before the Livingstone game which "backfired" into a three - one win. He could have picked DG for that one, we lose, and drop him for Kilmarnock, we lose that one and we really would be in the mire.

Or to put it another way, if yer Auntie had baws.................

Agree ........if yer maw had baws and we had won today we would have probably secured our place in the top flight and everybody would be happy

but unfortunately we never and playing a young guy who has started 16 games in his career instead of the club captain a current Scotland international who has massive experience on playing on plastic pitches is a massive gamble to take in my opinion until our premiership place is secured for next season

4 minutes ago, MFCL84 said:

“ Intensity” story of the last 3 years at the club. We do that and the results come, we drop it and we look awful.

Absolutely shocking and disappointing result today, the only benefit is we have a cushion. Team needs at least a 70 percent clear out as there are too many players not committed to the club. So two wins post split will be enough and the biggest re build for many years, hope Alexander gets it right. COYW

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Why would GA drop magloire ? His performances in the previous 2 games had earned him the right to keep his place, and there was nothing to suggest he would not have had another decent game. All this crap about Gallacher annoys me, he messed the club about during the January window,trying to force his own agenda and will be away in 5 games time so for me he does not give a fuck about the club. He came on against Hibs and his 1st contribution nearly cost us a goal.  If It was up to me he would be in the stands beside Foley and Nolan and never play for us again.

This kind of nonsense does my heid in. 

Why start a Scotland International and Club Captain over a youngster loan player. Deary me.

Like asking why would you want to shag the elephant man over Gal Gadot. 

I get the dislike for Gallacher. But I also understand why he would want to engineer a move to a club that will make him comfortable for his family and future. We may not like it but 100% we would ALL do the same. 

Would we have won today with Gallacher in defence ? Possibly not but I 100% certain we would have avoided shipping 4 goals to Killie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Why start a Scotland International and Club Captain over a youngster loan player. Deary me.

That's the question. Why? Not changing a winning team is one thing, but it's a rare manager who makes that decision unless he feels he has a very good reason. As you say, young loanee playing ok. Is that the very good reason?

I had a fair inkling beforehand that this one might not go our way, although I didn't quite foresee the margin of Kilmarnock's victory.  They did a power of whining after the 1-0 game that they felt hard done by, the two weeks preparation felt like it would benefit them to establish some shape and game plan whereas our job was more about trying to guard against a loss of momentum.

Awful start with a poor goal conceded so early and so uncharacteristically but a good response to return to parity to so quickly.  And after that I genuinely thought there wasn't a huge amount between the teams, even though the scoreline suggests totally differently.

Not much in it for the remainder of the first half and I'd even go so far as to say we started the second half marginally the brighter but losing two in quick succession just took it completely away (not to discount the poor defending in both cases) and there was an element of being caught chasing things when they added their fourth.

That can happen at times.

What I'd say is I compare that 4-1 loss yesterday to the 4-1 loss to Hamilton a few weeks back and they are night and day in performance even though both ended up with the same outcome.  I'd say even the St Johnstone game was much much worse a performance than yesterday and I'm inclined to give them more the benefit of the doubt for yesterday, albeit acknowledging we could have been better.

At the moment the result hasn't phased me too much.  I still believe there the couple of results in us to get the points we need to make things mathematically safe.  Whether the game has a more negative context as the weeks roll on we'll see but for the here and now I'm content that whilst not ideal we've built up a sufficient barrier to cope with the defeat whilst having a sharp kick in the balls to remind them the season isn't finished yet,  but all the while still being able to chuckle heartily at St Mirren,

Just a pity were at that point of the season where we need to wait two weeks before the next opportunity to rectify yesterday's failings.

13 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I think it was a good decision by the players yesterday not to take the knee. Last season Devante chose not to participate in A Show Racism The Red Card display so it's obviously something he's got strong opinions about. 

image.thumb.png.0bedf61918e323e4ee718fc3c20bde62.png

Definitely, it’s all well and good doing gestures like take the knee and hold up cards but at the end of the day that’s just tokenism. Racism is abhorrent and anyone caught saying or acting in a racist manner needs to be challenged and dealt with accordingly by clubs and the authorities. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Not much in it for the remainder of the first half and I'd even go so far as to say we started the second half marginally the brighter but losing two in quick succession just took it completely away (not to discount the poor defending in both cases) and there was an element of being caught chasing things when they added their fourth.

That can happen at times.

That's it for me. Definitely not as shambolic a performance as the St Johnstone and Hamilton games. In those games we looked completely clueless whereas yesterday Killie at least had to play their part in nullifying everything we tried. 

26 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Was doing my stats there and noticed Kilmarnock have won 3 of their last 19 matches and 2 of them were against us.

If it had not been for us being so generous and playing so badly against them Killie (6 pts) and Accies (9 pts) would have been relegated weeks ago.

22 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Was doing my stats there and noticed Kilmarnock have won 3 of their last 19 matches and 2 of them were against us.

I knew they only picked up one point in the last ten games before the match yesterday but didn't realise that their form had been so bad prior to that. It is just typical of us to have gift wrapped 9 points to Hamilton and the six to Kilmarnock. Thankfully we have a nice cushion as it stands.

17 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

If there is a bad egg in the camp, given the size of the clear out,  and the fact it must be a senior, influential member of the team, chances are they'll be moved out in the summer.

The end of this season can't come quick enough.

Could it be Polworth, never been played for weeks?