Season 2020’21: Game 33: Kilmarnock (A)

Andy_P

18 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

If there is a bad egg in the camp, given the size of the clear out,  and the fact it must be a senior, influential member of the team, chances are they'll be moved out in the summer.

The end of this season can't come quick enough.

My money would be on Gallacher with Polwarth 2nd favourite.

Theres probably groups within the squad headed by an individual. There is a lack of leadership within the squad. Someone to knock heads together and bring the groups together. Something a captain should do. Our captain lacks credibility. He wants away and the squad know it. Who is going to listen to him. In saying all that you wonder if covid restrictions have stopped these groups gelling.

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

Theres probably groups within the squad headed by an individual. There is a lack of leadership within the squad. Someone to knock heads together and bring the groups together. ............... In saying all that you wonder if covid restrictions have stopped these groups gelling.

Just like some messageboards in other words :lol:

Agree about lack of leadership though.  Thats down to poor recruitment. Covid restrictions don't appear to have affected other teams gelling though.

On 3/20/2021 at 6:03 PM, Kmcalpin said:

Not sure what you mean Yorky, but this result has been on the cards for a few weeks now. Despite playing well generally and getting some decent results our defence has consistently looked vulnerable and the fact that we largely contained the likes of Livingston and St Mirren was more to do with them being toothless up front. In short we glossed over our defensive frailties. Some team with a bit of punch up front was always going to give us a doing. That team just happened to be Kilmarnock. Going into today's game there was a general feeling of complacency and over confidence.

No cause for panic and if we can pick up a few draws or a win after the break we should be fine.  The key thing is for GA to learn from our mistakes. 

A bit of punch up front?? Kilmarnock!!! Seriously? have you seen their scoring record over the last 3 months. 

7 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

A bit of punch up front?? Kilmarnock!!! Seriously? have you seen their scoring record over the last 3 months. 

Yes. The arrival of Lafferty has changed things. Going further back I'd agree with you, but we're dealing with the here and now. They've now scored 7 goals in their last 3 games, with Lafferty netting three times, including a penalty.

I didn't have a good feeling about winning on Saturday, saying that I didn't expect to lose by that score line, conceded very poor goals. I'm not one for blaming the plastic park usually,  but the players just don't seem to be able to stay on there feet at all, it looked as though Alexander tried to get around playing football by going direct (which was effective V st Mirren a few weeks ago) it didn't work, evidently. 

as frustrating as results like these are I normally don't let them get to me too much, I can accept they happen every so often, nature of supporting a club with a budget like ours, my one gripe though is that we had quite a few of them this season. Those sort of results have to be few and far between.

Right now we seem to be in a "two or three decent performances followed by one or two poor performances" mode.

That should be sufficient to see us safely through the remainder of the season in readiness for the The Great Clearout.

The enforced layoff certainly didn't help as historically we tend not to perform well after those. Post-split, however, that won't be an issue and I think we will do OK.

I'll be delighted to see Killie disappear with that pitch though as win, lose or draw there, it offers zero entertainment to the paying fans (home or away).

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Completely agree

I disagree. In saying that he seems to be the type who plays better for International team than club team. It is usually the other way around like Andy Robertson etc.

For me SOD has been a decent signing. He is far from being anywhere near the waste of space half the squad has been this season. Also probably suffers from comparison of an International player. Key difference is he is playing with better players. 

Add to that and any interview he has given has been generally positive of his time at Motherwell and the ease of signing extension v the want away stars in out team. 

So he gets a pass from me and one of the few in the squad that I would keep into next season. Unlikely as it may be. 

27 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I disagree. In saying that he seems to be the type who plays better for International team than club team. It is usually the other way around like Andy Robertson etc.

For me SOD has been a decent signing. He is far from being anywhere near the waste of space half the squad has been this season. Also probably suffers from comparison of an International player. Key difference is he is playing with better players. 

Add to that and any interview he has given has been generally positive of his time at Motherwell and the ease of signing extension v the want away stars in out team. 

So he gets a pass from me and one of the few in the squad that I would keep into next season. Unlikely as it may be. 

Agree with that, SOD has been one of the very few players with pass marks this season so far, keeping him for next season would be a decent bit of business. 

Here is Ritchie Wellins comments on his last game before the sack at Salford, sounds quite familiar to Alexanders comments 

He said: "The attitude was poor from the start.

"If we stay humble, do the basics right, listen, and take out onto the pitch what we’ve worked on then we’re alright, we’ll pick up results in this league.

"But when players decide to drift off and do whatever they want to do then that’s what we got served up.

Salford's biggest issue with managers is the ownership team made up of footballers that can't keep their hands off.  Scholes seems to be the worst offender.

(Well, that and the fact they think their big spending should be getting quicker results).

2 hours ago, Coatsy said:

Here is Ritchie Wellins comments on his last game before the sack at Salford, sounds quite familiar to Alexanders comments 

He said: "The attitude was poor from the start.

"If we stay humble, do the basics right, listen, and take out onto the pitch what we’ve worked on then we’re alright, we’ll pick up results in this league.

"But when players decide to drift off and do whatever they want to do then that’s what we got served up.

that suggests a lack of ability to get players to do what the manager wants them to do.   Not a great sign. 

On 3/20/2021 at 7:08 PM, Onthefringes said:

After match comments an honest assessment? Screams not learning from mistakes and managing any change to me.

OTF do you know something on the inside thats not been disclosed ?   i would think either you dont fancy him , or the players are not to takeing to his ideas, or GA underestimated the state of the club / dressing room ,   am a wee bit possibly like you n thinking that there is just something that i cant put my finger on, but all will be revealed eventually 

21 hours ago, smiddy said:

OTF do you know something on the inside thats not been disclosed ?   i would think either you dont fancy him , or the players are not to takeing to his ideas, or GA underestimated the state of the club / dressing room ,   am a wee bit possibly like you n thinking that there is just something that i cant put my finger on, but all will be revealed eventually 

He’d have been my pick for the job certainly with a view to the longer term. I’ve been consistent in my approach, just failed to catch the same enthusiasm of some at his soundbite.

My point on Saturday reflected losing 4-1 against the bottom team twice in a month as not learning from mistakes & selection and formation against St Johnstone aligning with not managing change - not setting up to be more compact and harder to beat was folly.

Fair to reserve judgement.

22 hours ago, smiddy said:

am a wee bit possibly like you n thinking that there is just something that i cant put my finger on, but all will be revealed eventually 

Personal view is there's something (perhaps several things) not right at the club , potentially goes beyond having poor players.

Several of the very decent players haven't been contributing anywhere near their level (Campbell, Gallagher for example)
Several of the ever presents have gone missing without any real explanation (O'Hara, Grimmy) 
Everything looks pretty lacklustre. 

Over the years there's been family feel and everyone involved spoke very highly of the club - not sold that's how it feels just now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

He’d have been my pick for the job certainly with a view to the longer term. I’ve been consistent in my approach, just failed to catch the same enthusiasm of some at his soundbite.

My point on Saturday reflected losing 4-1 against the bottom team twice in a month as not learning from mistakes & selection and formation against St Johnstone aligning with not managing change - not setting up to be more compact and harder to beat was folly.

Fair to reserve judgement.

to be fair i was quite excited when he was appointed , but as you say some of his post match bumf is ,,, well meh,    i can only say he is talking manager speak and just trying to wring enough points out of this shower of shite before he has a raid out, and starts his rebuild, but time will tell 

15 minutes ago, smiddy said:

to be fair i was quite excited when he was appointed , but as you say some of his post match bumf is ,,, well meh,    i can only say he is talking manager speak and just trying to wring enough points out of this shower of shite before he has a raid out, and starts his rebuild, but time will tell 

When you see the reactions on here any time a manager gives an honest opinion about players, you can understand why they stick to manager speak.

Plus, at this point, it's counterproductive to slag of anyone in public.

1 minute ago, weeyin said:

When you see the reactions on here any time a manager gives an honest opinion about players, you can understand why they stick to manager speak.

Plus, at this point, it's counterproductive to slag of anyone in public.

thats basically what i was saying he is trying his best to get the points to get us safe     but     i bet if he is telling his maw or da or brother he would be telling them just how it is ie     that lazy barsteward ( insert name ) is feckin murder,  and as for that big ( insert name ) he thinks he is something ,,,,,,, you know the drill 

• Haha 1

On 3/22/2021 at 6:20 PM, wellsince75 said:

that suggests a lack of ability to get players to do what the manager wants them to do.   Not a great sign. 

A win percentage at Salford of 48.2% would suggest he was not doing that bad a job ability wise.  I would have been happy to see Robinson stay and he was not my first choice but it’s difficult to argue with his record at Salford and Fleetwood. 
It’s way to early to be making any form of judgement in my view.

6 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

A win percentage at Salford of 48.2% would suggest he was not doing that bad a job ability wise.  I would have been happy to see Robinson stay and he was not my first choice but it’s difficult to argue with his record at Salford and Fleetwood. 

Put your hankies away he's gone 

11 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I was a big Robbo fanboy. But even I admit his time had come to an end. A rot had set in and it seems still persists. 

My preference was Graham Alexander and I was pleased he was appointed over Tommy Wright or whomever else was mentioned. I do find some of his after match comments a bit tedious but it is also hard to argue with anything he is actually saying. Hardly groundbreaking but if we do not put in a 100% then chances are you will lose in this league. 

I mean if you had to choose Graham Alexander over Stephen Glass. I am sure Cormack will throw money at Glass but all things being equal there is no comparison in terms of playing and managerial experience.