Retain or Release - Defenders

Andy_P

Retain or Release  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Bevis Mugabi

2. 2. Declan Gallagher

3. 3. Stephen O'Donnell

Stephen O'Donnell is a solid SPL level full back. Not a world beater, and against higher quality opposition he can get found out at times. However, anyone who thinks there is a queue of superior players lined up waiting to sign on at Fir Park needs a reality check. This is very good business for the club, not just from a playing perspective, but in raising or at least maintaining our profile as a club who can help players progress their careers. It may help attract some decent palyers in the summer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Motherwell Daft said:

Well, as has been said before me I didn’t see that one coming, never thought we would be able to hold on to SOD and a bit of a feather in GA’s cap as SOD would definitely had others with bigger budgets like Hibs, Sheep, Hearts sniffing about him but I’m pleased we have retained him and on a 2 year deal,

His inconsistency for us but so positive when in a Scotland top shows what he can do and we have to be pleased and positive to keep that type of talent on our budget and hopefully  GA can get the best out of him in the coming season and I’m sure GA will want to build his defence around him as Dec will be gone as fast as he can clear Lanarkshire as soon as the seasons over.

I can now only hope that GA has a few more rabbits in his magic hat that he can use to  sign Liam Kelly, a centre half, a left back, a couple of midfielders and resigning Cole!

Good signing Well, what’s/who’s next?

Liam Kelly would be outstanding business.

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Stephen O'Donnell is a solid SPL level full back. Not a world beater, and against higher quality opposition he can get found out at times. However, anyone who thinks there is a queue of superior players lined up waiting to sign on at Fir Park needs a reality check. This is very good business for the club, not just from a playing perspective, but in raising or at least maintaining our profile as a club who can help players progress their careers. It may help attract some decent palyers in the summer.

Post of the week.

• Like 1

I am hopeful that we get a turn out of players in their second season e.g Liam Donnelly and I think back to players like Martyn Corrigan who grew into the team over time.  So if folk like Lamie and McGinley stick around, they know the club better, the management know them better, perhaps a more fruitful contribution could ensue.

Wishful thinking?

21 minutes ago, ropy said:

I am hopeful that we get a turn out of players in their second season e.g Liam Donnelly and I think back to players like Martyn Corrigan who grew into the team over time.  So if folk like Lamie and McGinley stick around, they know the club better, the management know them better, perhaps a more fruitful contribution could ensue.

Wishful thinking?

I dont think its wishful thinking at all.

McGinley in particular has had it tough moving up here on his own stuck in a flat outwith his playing/training schedule, having to cope with that and then getting injured on top of it. I think there is a decent player in there and I would hope that as we come out of lockdown he might enjoy being here a bit more and that might help his performances on the field (which I dont think have been anywhere near as bad as some suggest). 

Lamie has improved dramatically since his early performances, probably due to getting a fair run in the team and an upturn in results. I think he is a decent squad player and can do us a turn. However, I think we should be looking to strengthen in centre defence, it all depends on who becomes available in our price range.