Retain or Release - Midfielders (I)

Andy_P

Retain or Release  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Allan Campbell

2. 2. Robbie Crawford

3. 3. Liam Polworth

• Andy_P unlocked this topic

I would love to see Campbell stay at Fir Park but I think we all know he will be away in a few months. We have benefitted with a few contract extensions, I'm sure he will have a number of suitors. 

I would keep the 2019/20 Polworth but this seasons version can jog on. Somethings not been right, I know it's mentioned his family are based in the Highlands, I wonder if covid restrictions have made it hard to settle on that front. The guy didn't do himself any favours against Aberdeen and I think he's only played once since then. 

Probably unfairly but I voted to let Crawford go. I don't think the guys done to much wrong tbh, he is a neat and tidy footballer and would probably be a decent squad player but I think we need better quality in the middle of the park. 

Polworth looks like he's totally out the picture with Alexander so I think he'll be off.  Personally, while he has a wee bit about him he's anonymous far too often and I would be scoring his name out with out much regret.

Campbell has been a shadow of himself this season.  He's 22 and has over 150 appearances so that shows you how much football he's played in a short space of time.  Maybe the whole malaise around the club has affected him or he's just tired out because as I've said often for a lot of the time he's had to carry the team.  I'm not entirely convinced he'll leave.  He's not 'hot' right now and I have my suspicions about the level of the game he can play.  He's been great for us over the piece but he's not English Premiership standard and even English Championship is a big step up these days.  I don't think he'll have a bunch of great options - maybe Hearts or Hibs would take him.  Whatever happens it's going to be a big year for his development as a player.  He's been on the ascent then taken a dip and he needs to get back to where he was and push on again.

Crawford to me seems 'adequate' in current times but if we want to move forward next season maybe we need a higher standard of player.  Perhaps a squad player but not convinced he's first choice in a better team.

• 2 weeks later...

Crawford has signed an extension.   

A hard working player with limited talent. Not good enough for Livingston has been quoted as an integral part of our team. 

This has been one of the worst and least enjoyable seasons I can recall. My enthusiasm for next season isn't getting any stronger.  

Meh 

On 4/2/2021 at 6:44 PM, wellsince75 said:

Crawford has signed an extension.   

A hard working player with limited talent. Not good enough for Livingston has been quoted as an integral part of our team. 

This has been one of the worst and least enjoyable seasons I can recall. My enthusiasm for next season isn't getting any stronger.  

Meh 

Crawford has done a fairly decent job with us, like you say, he might not be the most talented but he is hard working, that goes a long way at our level, Allan Campbell is probably a prime example of someone who doesn't have the most talent in the world but works hard and is good at it at being that battler, albeit Campbell has added some more attacking aspects to his game now. 

The not good enough for livingston thing doesn't really matter to me either tbh, Jake Carroll wasn't good enough for Partick, Tom Aldred for bury, the list is endless.

could we do better? yes, could we do worse? yes, much worse.

Crawford has done a fairly decent job with us, like you say, he might not be the most talented but he is hard working, that goes a long way at our level, Allan Campbell is probably a prime example of someone who doesn't have the most talent in the world but works hard and is good at it at being that battler, albeit Campbell has added some more attacking aspects to his game now. 
The not good enough for livingston thing doesn't really matter to me either tbh, Jake Carroll wasn't good enough for Partick, Tom Aldred for bury, the list is endless.

Don’t think Jake Carroll was ever at Patrick, but your point is nonetheless valid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

great point about some players don't work out a certain clubs.

Personal view , I don't rate Crawford, he's no better than the likes of Grimmy. I'd rather we let those making up the numbers go and look to build a better starting 11.

11 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Personal view , I don't rate Crawford, he's no better than the likes of Grimmy. I'd rather we let those making up the numbers go and look to build a better starting 11.

yeah, I reckon i'd be here all day trying to drum enough reasons as to why he was better than the likes of Grimmy, Maguire etc, with regards to a better starting 11, it would be good to know how Alexander views him going into next season, that would give us a good idea of what to expect. 

on midfielders, I actually quite like O'hara, I know a few here really don't, mainly @Onthefringes, but he has just been MIA since January.

Top of Alexanders list has to be a creative midfielder cause we have missed one terribly this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

yeah, I reckon i'd be here all day trying to drum enough reasons as to why he was better than the likes of Grimmy, Maguire etc, with regards to a better starting 11, it would be good to know how Alexander views him going into next season, that would give us a good idea of what to expect. 

on midfielders, I actually quite like O'hara, I know a few here really don't, mainly @Onthefringes, but he has just been MIA since January.

Top of Alexanders list has to be a creative midfielder cause we have missed one terribly this season.

Re-hiring so far not enough of an idea of what to expect?

3 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

While I'm not overly impressed by Crawford or his resigning, I'd say he is easily a better central midfielder than Grimmy 

6 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

completely with you. Ohara for me has proven to be spot on.  

If we're going to play with hard working battling midfields then we should play 3 at the back and push Carrol and S OD into wingbacks. 

Loads of people pushing this idea of improving the starting 11 but we've used about 35 players this season. I seen the Pie and Bovril account posting about it on twitter earlier in the week.

Its a squad game and its a lot easier and cheaper to pick up 20 players that are mid table spl players than it is to pick up 11 top end of the SPL players.

Which is why Aberdeen and Hibs 11 highest earners will probably be on more than our entire squad.