Post-split fixtures

Toxteth O'Grady

12 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/03/22/2020-21-post-split-fixtures-announced/

MOTHERWELL 2020/21 POST-SPLIT FIXTURES
Date Opponent Kick-off
Sat 10 April St Mirren (H) 3pm
Wed 21 April Hamilton (A) 7.45pm
Sat 1 May Kilmarnock (H) 3pm
Wed 12 May Dundee United (A) 7.45pm
Sun 16 May Ross County (H) 12pm

Accies are at home to Dundee untd 1st game so if they lose and we win, we could be going to NDP ( or whatever its called these days) knowing a win could see us safe and potentially relegate them as a bonus :nod:

You’ve got to hope that surely to God we can record a win against either or both of St.Mirren and Accies? Apart from the obvious reason of needing to ensure top flight next season, that we haven’t beaten either since 2019 is galling. 

It might not be comfortable but I think we’ll do just enough.

7 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

You’ve got to hope that surely to God we can record a win against either or both of St.Mirren and Accies? Apart from the obvious reason of needing to ensure top flight next season, that we haven’t beaten either since 2019 is galling.

As far as St Mirren are concerned, we've played them 5 times in the league in the last two seasons. Won 2, drawn 2, lost 1.  I'm not too galled by that.

St mirren fans and the media have wanked themselves into a frenzy making out they've had a great season while playing good football and that goodwin is the new guardiola but yet we can go two points behind them if we beat them,i would love nothing more even will all our troubles this season than for us to finish above them.

The first order of the day in my opinion is to get enough points to be safe, then if we can get above St Midden just to prove a point after Covidgate n then if all my Christmas’s come at once the Accies to get relegated right after we have pumped them 5-0 at their shitheap....can but dream eh? 
Survival  first n foremost!!!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, weeyin said:

As far as St Mirren are concerned, we've played them 5 times in the league in the last two seasons. Won 2, drawn 2, lost 1.  I'm not too galled by that.

They’ve beaten us twice in the league in that time.  Both times at Fir Park, 2-1 last February just before the lockdown and 1-0 in December  this season. And of course they knocked us out of the Scottish Cup on penalties in February ‘20 as well. Our last win against them was in December ‘19.

So while we’ve not got the worst of recent records against them on paper (P6, W2, D2, L2) the fact remains we haven’t beaten them for well over a year.

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

St Mirren at home was the game I wanted first. 

It's amazing how quickly they can get the fixtures out when the league title is settled. 

I suspect that due to the lack of fans at these games, Police Scotland involvement will have been rendered largely unnecessary, thereby removing a significant potential for delay.

Fixtures are about as good as we could have got them.

3 home matches and 2 of them within the first three matches.  Given we probably only need 1 win to be safe that gives us a decent chance to get the points on the board early.

I've actually got a feeling St Mirren might flop in the post split matches.  They have only won 4 in their last 16 and have only scored 2 goals in open play in the last eight (plus 2 penalties).

If all else fails we have Ross County at home on the last day.  I'm sure if you asked a lot of posters 'beat Ross County at home on the last day to stay up' they would have taken it but hopefully it'll be academic by that point.

Based on previous results this season I'm making a point predictions.

St Mirren          49
Dundee Utd    46
Motherwell     43
Kilmarnock     34
Hamilton          34
Ross County   32

The only team with a clean sweep this season is Dundee Utd over Ross County. 

In fact Ross County's record against the bottom 6 teams isn't great, in the last 31 matches they have only beaten bottom 6 teams twice while picking up points against Aberdeen, Hibs, Celtic and St. Johnstone.

On 3/22/2021 at 11:05 PM, Ya Bezzer! said:

If all else fails we have Ross County at home on the last day.  I'm sure if you asked a lot of posters 'beat Ross County at home on the last day to stay up' they would have taken it but hopefully it'll be academic by that point.

I hope - and believe - it will be academic by then. Because, if we get ourselves into a position where it's not, I wouldn't put any money on our survival.