Super Cooper

SteelmaninOZ

Only Motherwell there selfs to blame as they spoke to him an insisted he you out to junior for a year, davie said no he could make it without going junior Motherwell said no he had to, and as they say the rest is history clydebank sign him the following week under his terms, this is fact I was with him the night he spoke to the well

13 hours ago, CoF said:

What's this story? 

We Scouted him but were reluctant to take it forward. As mentioned above we spoke to him but wanted him to go Junior for a bit to "round his game" I suppose.

At the time, our scouts used a tick box sheet. The scout report showed he had skill and a wand of a left foot, but crosses for defending, tackling, workrate, heading & right foot. Clydebank got the opportunity and literally bagged up the money from the puggys in their social club and gave him it as a signing fee. The rest as they say, is history

• Like 1

I suspect that if he'd joined us he'd still have been sold to Rangers around the same age. That's how things worked in those days. 

So it's possible we saw him in claret and amber for longer than if we had signed him as a youngster.

We certainly wouldn't have seen him line up with Bobby Russell, who people tend to overlook when talking about Cooper, but who made a significant contribution to his success at Fir Park.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

I suspect that if he'd joined us he'd still have been sold to Rangers around the same age. That's how things worked in those days. 

So it's possible we saw him in claret and amber for longer than if we had signed him as a youngster.

We certainly wouldn't have seen him line up with Bobby Russell, who people tend to overlook when talking about Cooper, but who made a significant contribution to his success at Fir Park.

Bobby Russell was a quality player! My earliest favourite player wi wee Dougie