Historical Away Kits

underboyleheating

Nice! Great work.

A very minor point but white shorts with the Patrick away kit in the early eighties though?  Any recollections I have/images I've seen (such as away at Pittodrie around 83ish and in the 84'85 team photo) have us in claret shorts.

You're also missing one that was worn during the Terry Butcher years away to East Fife in the League Cup and I think against Partick Thistle. I believe it was actually originally a training/warm  top that ended up being used on a handful of occasions.

jamesmcfadden0203partickthird.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Nice! Great work.

A very minor point but white shorts with the Patrick away kit in the early eighties though?  Any recollections I have/images I've seen (such as away at Pittodrie around 83ish and in the 84'85 team photo) have us in claret shorts.

You're also missing one that was worn during the Terry Butcher years away to East Fife in the League Cup and I think against Partick Thistle. I believe it was actually originally a training/warm  top that ended up being used on a handful of occasions.

jamesmcfadden0203partickthird.jpg

Cheers, it’s a work in progress at the minute and any help identifying ‘lost’ away kits is much appreciated!

• Like 1

We've had some cracking away strips when you look back at that, 94-95 my own personal favourite, which I own in long sleeve. 

Bizarrely, bought it off eBay and it arrived from somewhere rather odd, Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania, somewhere like that...always wondered how that happened...? 

34 minutes ago, mio said:

I was positive we played another game in that white adidas kit. I was a kid but I’m sure there was another midweek game a year later we wore it too?  During the promotion season? 

I’ve been researching that kit for some time. The general opinion is that we borrowed it from Dundee United who wore an identical kit. I’ve found no other picture evidence that we ever wore it again so the assumption is that United took the kit back up the road with them. The only slight flaw in the argument is that the United kit had D.U.F.C on the left hand chest area and I can’t see any evidence of it being there on the available pics from the game. However, it may have been carefully taped over with white tape and due to the low quality of the images it may not be clear. If you locate a picture of it being worn in another game I would been keen to see it. Although the fact that we wore our old Admiral away against Thistle in 81 would suggest that we no longer had it. 

• Thanks 1

In the 80/81 season, the only other team I can think of that might have clashed is Berwick Rangers - but the change kit rules were a lot more relaxed in those days. I honestly don't remember if we wore that white Adidas more than once, though. The Utd game is a standout largely because of how well we played against a very good side.

For some reason I have us playing a midweek game, possibly in the league cup or Scottish cup at fir park against Ayr utd?? Which makes little sense to me as they play in white and black. Might well be wrong but I remember being confused as a kid about it and I have a memory of my dad going on about why are Ayr playing in yellow and us in white?

The Adidas home was supplied by a self employed kit rep who in essence was an early team wear entrepreneur. It’s apparent that he had no real control over the colour and him and us had to accept what was available. He apparently supplied several smaller clubs around that time. There is a slim chance that he loaned us a set of kits for that game as the United away was just a generic Adidas design from the era. United where a much bigger concern than us around that time and I suspect they would have been supplied directly by Adidas. 

Probably for on your strips thread but some of the under armour ones for Tottenham about 8-9 years ago are among some of the best I've seen in the modern era. They had a two tone grey third strip that if converted to our colours or Dark Grey Light Grey Cash Convertors or Claret I think would look mint. They also had a yellow one with a pinstripe that their fans changed to white and said would have been a classic. White with claret would be mint for us.

What do you know of Macron and their deals with so many SPFL clubs?

13 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

What do you know of Macron and their deals with so many SPFL clubs?

I’m not sure, however, our deal is arranged through PSL. I assume they all handle some other clubs as well as us.  Big clubs like Manchester United, Barcelona deal directly with the supplier and encourage them to wear their gear as it’s good for their brand. Whilst we still have contact with Macron and no doubt receive great service there has always been a category tier system in football kit supply. We are sadly nowhere near the top kit deal tier.

10 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

My mistake, I’ve altered it

I thought it was maybe one of those time traveller photos you see on the internet.

I can't add anything to the white shirt mystery, but the "borrowing it" seems the most likely explanation. I wonder if someone like Davie Hay would remember.

• Haha 1