Historical Away Kits

underboyleheating

On 3/27/2021 at 1:57 PM, underboyleheating said:

On the back of the Motherwell HFK change kit launch I would like to share with you one of Motherwell’s oddest away kit anomalies. If you can solve the puzzle, please let us know.

image.jpeg

I contacted Johnny Gahagan to ask him about the kit, here's his reply:

I broke my nose in that game and the second game at Tannadice was an exciting game too although we went out after extra time.
I think I may have some photos in an old scrap book. If I find them, I will send on a copy. We did wear white shirts at times but always with the claret and amber frills. I never wore black shorts. If it was a black and white photo of Albert Kidd it may have been claret shorts, which we wore with the white top...... sometimes we wore white shorts but never black. I promise to get back to you in the near future...... 

Strange thing I've noticed about United's Adidas kits, home and away, up to 1981/82 - in every photo I've seen, regardless of the time of year, their tops seem to be long sleeve. 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

I contacted Johnny Gahagan to ask him about the kit, here's his reply:

I broke my nose in that game and the second game at Tannadice was an exciting game too although we went out after extra time.
I think I may have some photos in an old scrap book. If I find them, I will send on a copy. We did wear white shirts at times but always with the claret and amber frills. I never wore black shorts. If it was a black and white photo of Albert Kidd it may have been claret shorts, which we wore with the white top...... sometimes we wore white shorts but never black. I promise to get back to you in the near future...... 

Strange thing I've noticed about United's Adidas kits, home and away, up to 1981/82 - in every photo I've seen, regardless of the time of year, their tops seem to be long sleeve. 

Sounds good. The shorts thing is intriguing as they may well have been claret. Ask him if he ever members having/wearing a white/black Adidas shirt. If so, does he know if that was in anyway official or did we borrow it for this game?

39 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Sounds good. The shorts thing is intriguing as they may well have been claret. Ask him if he ever members having/wearing a white/black Adidas shirt. If so, does he know if that was in anyway official or did we borrow it for this game?

I asked about the black & white shirt and if we borrowed it, but he didn't seem to think that was a possibility.

I'm gonnae ask a daft question here -

Dundee Utd turned up and discovered we had no change strip - they loaned us theirs so they could play in their home kit. Would it not have been the logical solution for them to just wear their white away kit and let us play in claret and amber? I know football disnae like logic, but if you're having to stick tape on jerseys...

17 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I asked about the black & white shirt and if we borrowed it, but he didn't seem to think that was a possibility.

I'm gonnae ask a daft question here -

Dundee Utd turned up and discovered we had no change strip, so they loaned us theirs. They must've played in their home kit. Would it not have been the logical solution for them to just wear their white away kit and let us play in claret and amber? I know football disnae like logic, but if you're having to stick tape on jerseys...

Yes logic and football doesn’t go hand in hand! At that time it was customary for the home side to change, However, we apparently didn’t have an away shirt. I’m imagining a conversation earlier in the week between us and them and us asking if they wouldn’t mind bringing both sets so we could keep up the away kit tradition. The other solution is that we called up our mysterious rep and asked him if we could borrow a set of kits. He just happens to have a set of United away style shirts that he loans us. After the game we wash them and hand them back. The reason I say we handed them back is that we played Thistle the next season and magically wore our old white Admiral kit and not the white Adidas we wore against United. it’s a very strange puzzle. Anyone got a time machine?

1 hour ago, underboyleheating said:

Anyone got a time machine?

You forget that most pictures in newspapers were black and white, even then. Used to have scrapbooks full of them and a colour photo was a rarity. When I was looking for some photos there I came across a video of the 6-1 Scottish Cup defeat at Tannadice in 1981. Could've been a lot worse, given it was 4-0 after 17 minutes. Still, good to hear John Gahagan and the Motherwell fans getting praise off Archie MacPherson and see Ally walking down the touchline. Don't recall seeing any other footage of him as Motherwell manager.

I’ve been in regular contact with a United match worn collector who has studied a few images of a white long sleeve shirt that belonged to Joe Wark. His widow kindly photographed them for us. He concluded that he doesn’t believe the shirt Joe had was anything to do with United. The shirt is identical in style to the United away, but with a few detail inconsistencies. We also wore short sleeves and Joe’s was a long sleeve. 

I remember when the 2002/03 kits were revealed they were sponsor free and looked cracking. When The Untouchables were announced as the new sponsors at the photoshoot the 2000/01 white away kit was modeled alongside the new claret and amber reverse kits with the new sponsor logo added. 

I remember the side wearing the white training kit with black stripe a couple of times versus Partick Thistle but does anyone remember seeing the 2000/01 reappear in an actual game? I will post an image of the kit as I have one somewhere. 

I don't think that's the one Kat is talking about Andy, that one there was our official away kit.

If I remember rightly I'm sure it's one that was white with and off-centre, vertical black stripe and "Untouchables" sponsor?

4 hours ago, Al B said:

I don't think that's the one Kat is talking about Andy, that one there was our official away kit.

If I remember rightly I'm sure it's one that was white with and off-centre, vertical black stripe and "Untouchables" sponsor?

1 minute ago, Ballso said:

That was a training top for that season and had to be used due to our clashes against Partick I think. It was similar to the England national shirt at the time. 

Is that not the one I've posted earlier in the thread?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

Is that not the one I've posted earlier in the thread?

Ahh yeah it is. Just got confused as it looked like your picture of the Kaiser was responding to the training top thing.

1 minute ago, Al B said:

Ahh yeah it is. Just got confused as it looked like your picture of the Kaiser was responding to the training top thing.

If it's any consolation, you aren't alone. :lol:

I thought Kat was referring to season 00'01's away kit which is the one Kaiser is wearing!

sco_motherwell_2_0203.gif.66aca7eed1e762c5c658b86fa5c744e0.gif

Sorry for the confusion folks.  This was the kit I was meaning, we used this many times in the 2000/01 season (Motorola version) but it was brought back as an alternative at the beginning of the 2002/03 with The Untouchables logo on it.

I wasn't sure if we actually used this version as we opted to wear a white training top against Thistle. 

1 hour ago, Kat said:

sco_motherwell_2_0203.gif.66aca7eed1e762c5c658b86fa5c744e0.gif

Sorry for the confusion folks.  This was the kit I was meaning, we used this many times in the 2000/01 season (Motorola version) but it was brought back as an alternative at the beginning of the 2002/03 with The Untouchables logo on it.

I wasn't sure if we actually used this version as we opted to wear a white training top against Thistle. 

If you can find any picture evidence of it being worn in an official game we will include it.

7 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

If you can find any picture evidence of it being worn in an official game we will include it.

2002/03 Kits

I tried to upload this image onto here but the file size was too large so its a link to SNS images I have enclosed.

This was the image of the kit that I could remember, it was used to promote The Untouchables as the new main sponsor. I couldn't remember if we ever used this shirt, I had a look through SNS images from that season but I couldn't find any evidence of using it sadly, it seems that white training top posted earlier in the thread was preferred as this was used in the League Cup against East Fife, against Aberdeen at Pittodrie and versus Thistle.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Kat said:

2002/03 Kits

I tried to upload this image onto here but the file size was too large so its a link to SNS images I have enclosed.

This was the image of the kit that I could remember, it was used to promote The Untouchables as the new main sponsor. I couldn't remember if we ever used this shirt, I had a look through SNS images from that season but I couldn't find any evidence of using it sadly, it seems that white training top posted earlier in the thread was preferred as this was used in the League Cup against East Fife, against Aberdeen at Pittodrie and versus Thistle.

Thanks, I’ll look into it. However, I suspect it was just used for promo purposes.