Season 2020’21: Game 34: St Mirren (H)

Andy_P

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

Dire stuff but it was all about the result today,I love beating they bastards,that's paypack for erwin's dying swan act earlier in the season.

My thoughts exactly, beating St.Mirren is always very satisfying. :)

1 minute ago, MFCL84 said:

An important 3 points which I'll be happy to take, but that was a very poor performance. The team needs a massive overhaul for next season.

Agreed,massive changes will be required to see us improve next season.i don't think I've seen a well team so less comfortable in possession as this one,far to many are just happy to header it and kick it whatever way there facing,great 3 points though,atleast we can plan for next season knowing we will be in the top flight.

4 minutes ago, Kat said:

Shout out for Kelly for the penalty save. 

He’s been our best signing this season. I know he had a nightmare against Kilmarnock but overall Kelly has been solid for us.

When you think that at one point we were looking at the possibility of Chapman being our No.1 for the remainder of the season then Kelly has been a massive upgrade.

Still the cup to go but we are nowhere near good enough to win that so for me that’s the win that allows us to plan for next season.  It’s going to be a very interesting summer with a big overhaul but at least GA is not left with a large amount of players still under contract that he can’t move on. I’m expecting another influx of players we have never heard of from the lower leagues down south with no doubt a fair amount of grumbling as to why we are not signing established, quality Scottish players.

A lot of huffing and puffing from St Mirren but in all honesty Kelly had only 1 serious save to make for the pen, we let them come on to us and coped well with it.

And Cole in where he should be to pick up on the keeper spilling it, after we scored we never looked like losing it, a great win today.

Needed 3 points, and got 3 points, job done. 

Thought mcginley had a good game, while SOD had a shocker. The change at half time did improve us. We were really poor in possession, and I thought we'd screwed it with that ball out wide to long, so fair play to him for retrieving it and putting in a good cross for cole. 

It would be nice if we could go on to finish above St. Mirren. Unfortunately we can't relegate accies in the next game, but maybe we can get the ball rolling. 

Just now, fizoxy said:

It would be nice if we could go on to finish above St. Mirren. Unfortunately we can't relegate accies in the next game, but maybe we can get the ball rolling. 

For some reason, ESPN were streaming the Accies game here so I was keeping half an eye on that. From what I saw, Accies really should have taken at least a point and gifted Utd their goal with a terrible error from the keeper.

That one is going to be tough.

If we were playing good football but not getting results there would be folk screaming about the lack of character and how the team was full of hiders who don't have the bottle for the scrap.

Now we've scrapped our way to a result that all but guarantees another season in the SPL people are kicking off that we don't have any quality (the same that were saying in September when we were knocking the ball about but not getting results that we'd no character).

Today was a huge match and we showed the character to keep a  clean sheets against a very decent St Mirren side. Now the pressure is off we can play a bit in the next few games and hopefully put a bit more enjoyable displays on.

Well done to the boys, not the best performance but it’s the result that counts.

Progress in the cup next week and let’s start Accies free fall out the league after that.

COYW, a season to forget so onwards to next season and let’s see what Mr Alexander can do.

I think everybody on this forum would have taken any kind of win, I know I would.  A sclaffed shot that hit a seagulls's arse and deflected in would have been good enough for me :-)

The icing on the cake would be doing the same to accies  and properly arithmetically relegating them, while at the same time ensuring we couldn't finish in the play off. I don't care what a shit show it turns out to be (and it will be on that plastic pitch). Any win would be tremendous all round.

7 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Today was a huge match and we showed the character to keep a  clean sheets against a very decent St Mirren side. 

Got to disagree about St Mirren. Goodwin has them running about a lot, to no great effect. Falling about a lot has a greater effect. We've undoubtedly had a poor season, they think they've had a good one, yet they're only 2 points ahead of us. 

• Like 3

Right now we can't finish bottom.

Assuming we pick up no more points this season.

If accies win all their remaining games then County need 3 wins to catch us which means Killie can't catch us. Killie and County can be switched in that scenario.

That could see us finish 11th. 

The other scenario would be both County and Killie getting 3 wins from the remaining 4. If they draw when they play each other they need to win all their other games.  In fact even if either side wins the other has to win all their other games to catch us. 

I suppose it could happen but I really don't see it.

7 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Right now we can't finish bottom.

Assuming we pick up no more points this season.

If accies win all their remaining games then County need 3 wins to catch us which means Killie can't catch us. Killie and County can be switched in that scenario.

That could see us finish 11th. 

The other scenario would be both County and Killie getting 3 wins from the remaining 4. If they draw when they play each other they need to win all their other games.  In fact even if either side wins the other has to win all their other games to catch us. 

I suppose it could happen but I really don't see it.

Could it not pan out with Accies winning 4 to get 39 points, Killie winning 3 (losing to Accies) to get 38 points and Ross County winning 3 (losing to Accies) to get 39 points?

Leaving us on 38 points, but bottom due to goal difference?

(Zero chance of that happening, of course).

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Could it not pan out with Accies winning 4 to get 39 points, Killie winning 3 (losing to Accies) to get 38 points and Ross County winning 3 (losing to Accies) to get 39 points?

Leaving us on 38 points, but bottom due to goal difference?

If Accies win 4 then County and Killie only have 3 games remaining and they both can't win 3 games.

Actually you're right and I've made a tit of it since I've assumed they have to play each other, completely ignoring the fact they just drew a couple of hours ago. I'm a tit.

Edited by C&A not the shop
I'm a tit