2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Under Robinson, aye, we were. At times under Alexander, yeah. But I don't agree we're streets behind many teams, and with a bit of improvement we can get much closer. Hands up who thinks Aberdeen are gonnae improve under Glass or Hearts won't buy another load of expensive rubbish? If Alexander's up to the job, we don't need 10 new starters.

apologies - didn't explain myself well. 

His are well ahead of us in terms of strength. The league proves that out.

As they should be, they have a bigger fan base and have the ability to buy players and pay much higher salaries.  I wish we had the ability to bring in the calibre of player they often bring in.  

3 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

apologies - didn't explain myself well. 

His are well ahead of us in terms of strength. The league proves that out.

As they should be, they have a bigger fan base and have the ability to buy players and pay much higher salaries.  I wish we had the ability to bring in the calibre of player they often bring in.  

So do I. In saying that, not always, but quite often, these players don't live up to expectations or a manager doesn't get the most out of a good squad. Wonder how much Hearts spend assembling and paying the team that took them down, or the one that's brought them back up - and will probably need replaced in the summer.

I don't expect every season to be great for us. But every now and then, for a season (or 2, if we're really lucky) with just the right mix of players and a manager on his game, we could give the bottom 9 a run for their money. Whether Alexander can provide that, who knows? 

I just hope we can win a cup again before I shuffle off, but like folk said, and we saw yesterday, you need luck as much as a good side to do that.

22 hours ago, El Grew said:

The media are full of bullshit at this time of the season as they try to fill their columns and airtime with the latest “exclusive scoops”.  Best to ignore them entirely.

One of the major problems we have had this current season has been an inability to score goals from open play.  This is down to an utter dearth of creativity, craft, guile and ability to pick passes for the forwards from our midfield. The players we have are simply unable to provide these qualities.  This means we are left relying far too much on scoring goals from set pieces. For me this is an area where we really do need to improve on the crud we have been signing as midfielders.  Cull the squad to free up some cash to try and raise the quality of players we sign.

We've scored 7 from set pieces (which includes a few penalties) and 13 from open play under Alexander. I agree we need more creativity from midfield, but scoring from open play is definitely not a major problem just now. 

22 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

So do I. In saying that, not always, but quite often, these players don't live up to expectations or a manager doesn't get the most out of a good squad. Wonder how much Hearts spend assembling and paying the team that took them down, or the one that's brought them back up - and will probably need replaced in the summer.

I don't expect every season to be great for us. But every now and then, for a season (or 2, if we're really lucky) with just the right mix of players and a manager on his game, we could give the bottom 9 a run for their money. Whether Alexander can provide that, who knows? 

I just hope we can win a cup again before I shuffle off, but like folk said, and we saw yesterday, you need luck as much as a good side to do that.

agree with that.  Good players don't make good teams.  Celtic are a good example of that this season. 

Be great to see us being more of a team next season

9 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Lamie has shown since Alexander came in that he's actually quite good. No problems whatsoever with him being in the starting XI next year.

Some of the doom and gloom stuff above about how we are doomed for relegation and we have a squad of Championship players is just repetitive pish. We've been reading it all season and when it came to it we weren't even really close at all to being relegated.

Lighten up a bit.

Exactly Gaz, same people who fret about cup final tickets or question business decisions when they don't appreciate the nuances of those decisions. It has only been in the last few weeks that the bottom 6 clubs had any sort of real points spread.

Thing is regular posters know the naysayers as their record is long played and wearying.

Not that long ago a mere two game winning run could take you from 11th to 5th. All that tells us outside the Glasgow's shame there is nothing separating the teams by and large and certainly not a massive leap to Aberdeen and Hibs despite their much higher budgets.

As another poster has conveyed, the exact same criticisms levelled at our team bounce about in other teams fans forums like an echo chamber. All that tells me despite managers and executives buming up our game really isn't anywhere near an entertaining product as it could or should be ...... and we'll ignore the lack of competition outside the cups. Our game is characterised by frantic pace and fear of relegation for 8 out of 12 (Aberdeen and Hibs probably arrogantly think they're safe) I'd go as far to add us too this year after our third and "decent" summer business on the transfer market but I do think many of our fans are more humble due to our resources.

What's the best solution on the table .... let the OF colts teams join the league to farm more players up to Grayskull and the Tattiedome and increase their dominance. In a week where the rich clubs looking to increase their coffers and stifle competition caused such outrage how can this be overlooked as in the same vein?

I for one am fed up of our domestic product, it is chronic and you can only get away with a nae knickers and a fur coat for so long. All we all we do facilitate the precision and if you're good and play nice you'll get a wee cup run once every 5 years.

Like everything in life, money has ruined it, pyramid economics to the Bosman all conspired to benefit those at the top of the tree. We unearth a one in 20 year gem from our academy and we get a season out of him, is that what we're signing up to be the best we can hope for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Exactly Gaz, same people who fret about cup final tickets or question business decisions when they don't appreciate the nuances of those decisions. It has only been in the last few weeks that the bottom 6 clubs had any sort of real points spread.

Thing is regular posters know the naysayers as their record is long played and wearying.

Not that long ago a mere two game winning run could take you from 11th to 5th. All that tells us outside the Glasgow's shame there is nothing separating the teams by and large and certainly not a massive leap to Aberdeen and Hibs despite their much higher budgets.

As another poster has conveyed, the exact same criticisms levelled at our team bounce about in other teams fans forums like an echo chamber. All that tells me despite managers and executives buming up our game really isn't anywhere near an entertaining product as it could or should be ...... and we'll ignore the lack of competition outside the cups. Our game is characterised by frantic pace and fear of relegation for 8 out of 12 (Aberdeen and Hibs probably arrogantly think they're safe) I'd go as far to add us too this year after our third and "decent" summer business on the transfer market but I do think many of our fans are more humble due to our resources.

What's the best solution on the table .... let the OF colts teams join the league to farm more players up to Grayskull and the Tattiedome and increase their dominance. In a week where the rich clubs looking to increase their coffers and stifle competition caused such outrage how can this be overlooked as in the same vein?

I for one am fed up of our domestic product, it is chronic and you can only get away with a nae knickers and a fur coat for so long. All we all we do facilitate the precision and if you're good and play nice you'll get a wee cup run once every 5 years.

Like everything in life, money has ruined it, pyramid economics to the Bosman all conspired to benefit those at the top of the tree. We unearth a one in 20 year gem from our academy and we get a season out of him, is that what we're signing up to be the best we can hope for?

Well said I agree with that Goggles. 

9 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Aberdeen have won 3 out of their last 16 league matches scoring 7 goals and they are likely to finish 4th.

I think that kinda sums it up the quality of the league.

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Aberdeen have won 3 out of their last 16 league matches scoring 7 goals and they are likely to finish 4th.

Could it just be that there's not a lot between 9 of our top 12 clubs? When you question the quality of the league what are comparing it with? I'm curious.

2 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Rather than a quality issue, I think it highlights the inconsistency of the other chasing teams that Aberdeen have been able to hold on to 4th. Only Livingston put together a decent run to get them up to 5th.

We have thrown away lots of points pre split, 2 at StM, and Dundee untd, 9 to the worst team in the league ffs, so 13 points at least, even taking 10 of those would have seen us challenging for 4th and a European place.

Regarding the quality of the Scottish Premiership it may not be the best but it is what it is, comparisons with other leagues are difficult as we only tend to see games involving the top sides which does not give a true picture.

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Rather than a quality issue, I think it highlights the inconsistency of the other chasing teams that Aberdeen have been able to hold on to 4th. Only Livingston put together a decent run to get them up to 5th.

We have thrown away lots of points pre split, 2 at StM, and Dundee untd, 9 to the worst team in the league ffs, so 13 points at least, even taking 10 of those would have seen us challenging for 4th and a European place.

Regarding the quality of the Scottish Premiership it may not be the best but it is what it is, comparisons with other leagues are difficult as we only tend to see games involving the top sides which does not give a true picture.

Spot on but not only the Premier League but just the same in the Championship as Hearts were rank rotten towards the run in but thanks to their good first half of the season along with the rivals not good enough to put a decent run in, they literally fell over the winning line. The play off for the championship will be very interesting and would be very difficult to predict as the three teams involved are unpredictable, personally I would like to see Dunfermline come through as I would like to see them back in the Premiership!

We are on about the players rebuild, has anyone given a thought about the supporters does anyone think we will have an increase/decrease/same amount of home support, I just hope it’s an increase but have my doubts as it will be interesting to see what all clubs attendances will be like when back to some kind of normality, especially when you can watch your home games through your season ticket as arranged by SKY and the SPFL in the comfort of your home?

I honestly wonder how many will be gone from the first team - Fox, Chapman, Kelly, Grimmy, McGinley, Dunne, Gallagher, Nolan, Magloire, Campbell, Polworth, Foley, Long, Hastie, Seedorf, Robinson, Smith, Cole  and Roberts. In bold is who I would like to stay or bring in but potentially 19 that can be removed from the squad. I think one or two maybe have another year but thats a lot of players potentially leaving

Out of that list,  Grimshaw and Mcginley are contracted. I have to assume Mcginley is in the plans for next year given the playing time he's had recently, but I worry for Grimshaw, who seems to have had a nasty illness.

Of the ones not in bold, i could possibly see an argument for Long,  but since he wouldn't have played had Roberts and Watt been fit, I'd assume he's not in the plans either. Had Robinson still been manager I wouldn't have been surprised to see us keep dunne, who I like,  but surely GA will be looking to bring in his own man there.

It's going to be an interesting summer. 

McGinley has proved in the last few games that he can be a solid left back for us. He is better defensively than Carroll and when allowed to push up by the manager as he was in the latter stages v Hibs he has shown he can be effective going forward as well. Having struggled at left back for so long, I would have no issues going into next season with McGinley and Carroll as our left back options.

• Like 1

Given how 2020 went I'd be happy to see wholesale changes as much as anyone, but given this 'shower of shite' (etc etc) have taken us to third in the form table since Alexander arrived there's every chance he'll show more faith in the core of the squad than most of the fans would. Personally, I'd be quite content with that approach as long as he cuts numbers and bolsters with a few quality additions. 

15 hours ago, fizoxy said:

but I worry for Grimshaw, who seems to have had a nasty illness.

Was Grimmy not one of the players who had to isolate due to COVID ????

Does long COVID come into play ???

Have a mate who is a postman who tested +ve between Xmas and New Year and is still of work. He has a couple of days where he feels fine the the next day he cannot walk the length of himself without feeling totally shattered.

Wish Grimmy all the best and hopefully he’s back soon a good guy to have about the club.

8 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Was Grimmy not one of the players who had to isolate due to COVID ????

Does long COVID come into play ???

Have a mate who is a postman who tested +ve between Xmas and New Year and is still of work. He has a couple of days where he feels fine the the next day he cannot walk the length of himself without feeling totally shattered.

Wish Grimmy all the best and hopefully he’s back soon a good guy to have about the club.

If it's long covid that grimshaw has It's not good my wife had covid the same time, just before Christmas and she is still off work same symptoms main one being extreme tiredness, nobody really knows how to treat it.

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Today's BBC gossip:

No surprises there.

He's inevitably going to end up at Aberdeen Dundee Utd or Hearts if he stays in Scotland, all depends which one stumps up the most money.

Still think he could do a job down south but perhaps lacks the pace needed down there and probably doesn't want to move his young family anyway.

Gallacher’s a decent defender but he lacks pace, his positional sense is sometimes iffy and he is prone to the odd blunder or two. Similar player in many ways to Mark Reynolds and his career nose-dived when he moved to Aberdeen.  Not irreplaceable by any means.

I think any player heading to Aberdeen the season coming could be on a hiding to nothing.

Reading on P&B the Aberdeen fans are mostly extremely unimpressed in the appointment of Stephen Glass and I think his whole tenure up there could be very short lived indeed if they don't pick up and hit the ground running.

Any player being brought in will naturally be associated with his appointment and how it pans out.

Of course, money will always talk though, eh?!

There is the possibility that Stephen Glass will be a roaring success, emulating the Don's fans expectations of a repeat of the early 80's...my money's on the former though...!

9 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Gallacher’s a decent defender but he lacks pace, his positional sense is sometimes iffy and he is prone to the odd blunder or two. Similar player in many ways to Mark Reynolds and his career nose-dived when he moved to Aberdeen.  Not irreplaceable by any means.

6 years at 7 grand a week at Pittodrie. I think he will be quite happy with how his career panned out. 

• David locked this topic