2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

12 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

38 league. 3 league cup 1 cup minimum, so at least 42. Hopefully closer to 50. He’s expecting a settled team with non injuries then

After the injuries we've had this season a settled team with no long term issues will be a big bonus, here's hoping.

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

According to Graham Alexander's  latest interview, he's looking to bring in players who can play 40/50 games a season. Make of that what you will.

What I'm taking from that is that he's maybe learned from his January signings that he should be looking at guys  who don't have a reputation of being injury prone and not considering guys coming back from long term injuries. Players who can hit the ground running in effect. 

Doesn't always work but at least you're mitigating risk with that approach.

In saying that I would quite happily keep Foley around as there's definitely a player in there and with a good pre season under his belt might turn out to be a good signing.

25 minutes ago, CoF said:

Another year under Alexander could see Cole get a really decent move. He's really showed his quality the last few months. If we can keep him for next season that would be huge. 

I think I have decide that if the ball is played in front of him he is a world beater, if it is played up to him with his back to goal it is like firing it off a wall.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ropy said:

I think I have decide that if the ball is played in front of him he is a world beater, if it is played up to him with his back to goal it is like firing it off a wall.

Deadly finisher. But could not trap a bag of cement. 

I laughed loudest when McGinley pinged him a pass at 100mph. He couldnae control it at 1mph. 

Knows where the goal is though....

57 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I laughed loudest when McGinley pinged him a pass at 100mph. He couldnae control it at 1mph. 

completely agree and this makes him good value for us. Don't think he'd get a game with a higher level club.

If he can keep banging in the goals that's good enough for us. 

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Made an arse of it a few times today, but can't remember him doing that too often in other games. 

Scotland on Sunday reports that we are hoping to retain the services of Devante Cole.

Also, do posters think that we should evaluate Sam Foley in our final 2 games to decide whether he's worth retaining for an extra year? He was impressive yesterday, but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

8 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Also, do posters think that we should evaluate Sam Foley in our final 2 games to decide whether he's worth retaining for an extra year? He was impressive yesterday, but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Foley is a very decent player. He's had little air time but has looked excellent and very composed on the ball. 

He deserves his starting place for the next game.

Being 34 is the issue. One thing being a 34 year old keeper but in midfield he's likely to pick up knocks. 

11 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Foley is a very decent player. He's had little air time but has looked excellent and very composed on the ball. 

Being 34 is the issue. One thing being a 34 year old keeper but in midfield he's likely to pick up knocks. 

I was surprised to discover recently that Ronaldo is 36, so age doesn't always matter. Foley looked like the midfielder we have been lacking this year and I'd be happy to give him a chance if he performs similarly in the last two games.

5 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

I think he would be a great signing to me being 34 is not the issue let him finish his career at Motherwell. It’s a win win.

Hopefully he doesn’t pick up serious knocks.

Its interesting that we have not actually offered Cole a deal yet but Mugabi, Crawford and O'Donnell have all been offered new contracts and signed on. Same with Gallagher although to be fair I think the club maybe think its a foregone conclusion he is leaving anyway.

I don't think Foley will be offered a contract on the basis of what the manager said previously about wanting players to be able to cope with 40-50 games a season.

I am still firmly in the belief we will see around 25 plus leaving at the end of the season between the First team and youth players.

3 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Its interesting that we have not actually offered Cole a deal yet but Mugabi, Crawford and O'Donnell have all been offered new contracts and signed on.

Today's BBC gossip suggesting Motherwell are close to agreeing a new deal with Cole

A Sam Foley that was released by St Mirren due to his injury issues, thatbhas barely featured for us after signing in January  probably isn't going to be a player that can do 40+ games next season.

Good player and would have helped us massively if he had been fit. Didn't work out but I can see why we took the gamble.

Would be happy if we can keep Cole for next season . 

7 minutes ago, that hat said:

Today's BBC gossip suggesting Motherwell are close to agreeing a new deal with Cole

The headline says that but Alexanders quotes in the article doesn't. 'We spoke to him quite a while ago about a contract and it's still ongoing'  is a bit of a leap to being close to agreeing a deal it doesn't even say he was offered a deal only discussed it. Would be good if he did stay but like Long I think he only signed back up last season because he had nothing else.

51 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I would have major worries about how many games Foley would end up playing.

Presumably we are back to 3 subs next season but there is scope for a wise old head coming on from the bench to see out a game rather than throwing on another centre back.

• Like 1

If we hadn't already signed crawford up for next season,I wouldn't be against foley being kept on,I would say on the evidence of yesterday foley is a better player than crawford but with limited funds I don't think retaining foley should be an option especially with donnolly to come back and having crawford,o'hara and maguire due to be here next season,if we are looking at another midfielder I would like to see us go for someone more attack minded.i hope cole signs on,he's frustrating at times with his touch but he has been excellent in front of goals for us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Scotland on Sunday reports that we are hoping to retain the services of Devante Cole.

He gave an interview last week where he would be open to staying and it was up to the club to make him an offer.

(Of course, often that kind of statement is just a case of saying the right thing, but as Alexander has also said they are trying to re-sign him, then there is at least a chance).

3 hours ago, ropy said:

Presumably we are back to 3 subs next season but there is scope for a wise old head coming on from the bench to see out a game rather than throwing on another centre back.

I think it comes back to a smaller squad with a little more quality. With what we have already contracted for next season how many more midfielders are we going to sign, I think we need another two strong midfielders. For me if we sign Foley that leaves one other signing and if Foley then fails to start games is that enough when we are losing Campbell and Polworth. Crawford, OHara, Foley ( a fitness risk) Maguire, Donnelly (a fitness risk). I’m afraid that does not install a huge amount of confidence. A year ago we were looking at Turnbull, Campbell, Polworth, Donnelly.

Not surprised we're at least trying to secure Cole. Seems like it would be a good move for both parties, but we know more money is available elsewhere. 

I don't know what Foley's injury history is, but his age isn't an issue for me, 34 isn't old if you take care of yourself. If he plays like yesterday, and trains like Alexander mentioned, I doubt he'd be a backup player, but as said above, if he's not up to playing a full season we'll have too many bit part midfielders on our books if we retain him. 

I like him, but I also really liked Davide Ferrere after his debut, so I'll give this one a few more games.

11 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

A Sam Foley that was released by St Mirren due to his injury issues, 

Is this fact? I know he had a couple of short spells out, but he was fit and just not getting a game when he was told he could find a new club.

1 hour ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Goalie Brisbane Roar goal keeper wants away worth looking at.

Young looks a decent goalkeeper, and he could be the sort of player who might be nterested in a move to a club like ours. In his mid thirties though, so not really a long term prospect or likely for us to develop and sell on.

I think that Kelly is probably beyond our budget, though another loan could be an option, but I have always been an admirer of Trevor Carson and hope that he can make a successful recovery and return to our first team.

• David locked this topic