2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

https://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/football/allan-campbell-definitely-leaving-motherwell-fc-this-summer-says-manager-graham-alexander-3232076

Allan Campbell definitely leaving Motherwell FC this summer says manager Graham Alexander
Motherwell manager Graham Alexander has confirmed that midfield powerhouse Allan Campbell, 22, will definitely leave the club upon his contract expiry this summer.
By Craig Goldthorp
Tuesday, 11th May 2021, 10:52 am

This will bring to an end an incredible 13-year association with ’Well for Campbell, who played in the youth team between 2008 and 2016 and has made 162 first team appearances since 2016, scoring 16 goals.

The Glasgow born ace – tipped to move to the English Championship – has also made 24 appearances for the Scotland under-21 team.

Alexander said: “I had one last shot a couple of weeks ago (at getting him to stay).

"We did offer him a very good contract for us because I didn’t want to get to the summer and he goes elsewhere and we haven’t tried everything to keep him because he’s a brilliant player, brilliant professional. And any manager would be desperate and keen to keep him on board.

"And I know the reasons why and I can understand the reasons why as an ex-player myself. We had a great chat the other week and he was honest as he always is, and I can see his perspective.

"He’ll be leaving in the summer and I hope he gets the best club he can. Everyone at Motherwell – not only myself – would wish the best for Allan because he’s been absolutely fantastic for this club.

"I think he can go all the way. Not right now, he’s still young, he’s got loads of experience, he’s still got little bits to improve in his game.

"But if I know anything about Allan Campbell, he’s going to do everything he can to improve.

"Already he’s a quality player but as you go through the levels you have to find that little bit extra and Allan Campbell will search for that little bit extra and get it.

"Nothing would surprise me in what Allan Campbell goes on to achieve in the next 10/15 years.”

He's been brilliant since he broke into the first team,his performances have dropped off this season but to be fair there isn't many players that would get pass marks.its definitely the best thing for his career to move on,I just hope he has a decent move lined up and doesn't end up at the likes of hibs.

We all talk about how Campbell has dropped a bit this season but at the start of the year he was far and away our best player,for the first 12 games or so we would only get a result if Campbell had a good game.

And of late he's been solid again. So really he had a poor middle of the year, and the club followed with a poor period.

He's got to go challenge himself down south (or in Europe) and I hope it works for him. 

If you look at the core of the team you'd want to keep from this squad you have

Campbell  - Offski

Gallagher - Offski

Kelly - Probably Offski

Watt - Staying

Cole - Maybe Staying

So that's just 9 or 10 first team players we need then.....

10 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

We all talk about how Campbell has dropped a bit this season but at the start of the year he was far and away our best player,for the first 12 games or so we would only get a result if Campbell had a good game.

And of late he's been solid again. So really he had a poor middle of the year, and the club followed with a poor period.

He's got to go challenge himself down south (or in Europe) and I hope it works for him. 

Campbell has missed 15 league matches over the last 4 seasons and we won 2 of them (3 draws, 10 defeats).

We've not won a league match without Campbell playing since the 2017/18 season (the 'Ciftci match' v Hamilton).

Campbell is probably the most 'painful' one to loose in the summer, together with Kelly (although we knew it was a loan). 

As expected, we are going to need 6 first team players brought in over the summer (and 2 more forwards for the squad). 

Feel free to swap in any of the subs for an existing name but taking a sub for a 'missing role' will see us playing the same forgettable shite that has been served all season (with the exception of Carson, whom as mentioned previous, I believe will be a back-up moving forward). 

------------------Goalkeeper

O’Donnell———-Mugabe——Centre Half—-Carroll

RM————-O’Hara——-CM———-LM

————-Watt—— Striker 

Subs:

Carson

Mcginley

Lamie 

Grimshaw

Donnelly

Crawford 

Lawless 

Maguire 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If you look at the core of the team you'd want to keep from this squad you have

Campbell  - Offski

Gallagher - Offski

Kelly - Probably Offski

Watt - Staying

Cole - Maybe Staying

So that's just 9 or 10 first team players we need then.....

I'd add o'donnell to that list but agree, it's going to be one hell of a rebuild for GA. Not sure what fringe players are out of contract as well, but there's that to think about too.

8 minutes ago, mfc88 said:

I'd add o'donnell to that list but agree, it's going to be one hell of a rebuild for GA. Not sure what fringe players are out of contract as well, but there's that to think about too.

Yeah, I'd agree. I missed him out for some reason.

I don’t understand why people aren’t keen for Lamie to be a starter next season. He was a bombscare at the start but he’s played 9 or 10 games now and comfortably been one of our best defenders. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mfc88 said:

Try and look upon it as a positive. The wages freed up by Gallagher, Campbell, Polworth, Seedorf, Chapman and others leaving at least gives us scope for the rebuild required. In the case of Seedorf, Chapman and Polworth (together with Nolan and Harry Smith) you're freeing up wages without really weakening the matchday squad...

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

Campbell is probably the most 'painful' one to loose in the summer, together with Kelly (although we knew it was a loan). 

As expected, we are going to need 6 first team players brought in over the summer (and 2 more forwards for the squad). 

Feel free to swap in any of the subs for an existing name but taking a sub for a 'missing role' will see us playing the same forgettable shite that has been served all season (with the exception of Carson, whom as mentioned previous, I believe will be a back-up moving forward). 

------------------Goalkeeper

O’Donnell———-Mugabe——Centre Half—-Carroll

RM————-O’Hara——-CM———-LM

————-Watt—— Striker 

Subs:

Carson

Mcginley

Lamie 

Grimshaw

Donnelly

Crawford 

Lawless 

Maguire 

Think you're being a bit unfair on Donnelly and Carson who if fit in August will walk into that team.

38 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Think you're being a bit unfair on Donnelly and Carson who if fit in August will walk into that team.

Don’t disagree regarding Donnelly but he and O’Hara as a midfield pairing would be murder polis. Carson is/was an excellent keeper however given his recent injury problems, I don’t believe we can rely on him as a number 1 sadly.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

As usual the longer a player has been out the better he has become in the fans memory . Donnelly was brought in as a defender  then turned into a centre midfielder in neither position was he a standout one for the pool not first choice 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

22 years old and played 134 games for us!I think we all knew he was going to go and not going to lie pretty gutted about this one but wish him all the best he has always put in a shift for us week in week out.

totally off topic, but on appearnces, Mason greenwood made his 100th man utd appearance at the weekend, only broke into the first team in 2019. Good job Campbell looks after himself, the amount of games down south is levels above what we have up here.

I can see Lamie starting alongside a new right footed centre back that replaces Gallacher.

Our luck with goalies was wildly poor last season.  The year before Gillespie played every game as far as I can remember whereas this season we had Carson, Archer, Chapman and Kelly all in goals with Fox injured and Morrison recalled from a loan as we had no one to sit on the bench.

Carson came back from his DVT issues and was looking great, he had one knee injury that he was rushed back from (to avoid playing Chapman, so you can see why). I have faith he'll be our number one and will play 40+ games next year.

18 hours ago, Yodo said:

As usual the longer a player has been out the better he has become in the fans memory . Donnelly was brought in as a defender  then turned into a centre midfielder in neither position was he a standout one for the pool not first choice 

He was a goalscoring standout before he got injured

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

I was being a bit tongue in cheek but he did score 8 goals in 7 games which is not bad for a midfielder. Point not really proven.

An early season reign of goal scoring form a full calendar year before being injured hardly makes him a goalscoring standout no matter how you dress it up.

As far as I can see, this is the current position 

Out
Campbell
Gallagher 
Fox
Chapman
Dunne 
Polworth
Foley
Long
Seedorf 
Robinson
Cole - Offered new contract 

Loan Out
Kelly - Would take back
Nolan - Not sure why we signed him.
Magloire - Bye
Hastie - Bye
Smith - Bye
Roberts - Away already. Back next season?

No idea what youngsters will be away. 

8 minutes ago, alanos said:

As far as I can see, this is the current position 

Out
Campbell
Gallagher 
Fox
Chapman
Dunne 
Polworth
Foley
Long
Seedorf 
Robinson
Cole - Offered new contract 

Loan Out
Kelly - Would take back
Nolan - Not sure why we signed him.
Magloire - Bye
Hastie - Bye
Smith - Bye
Roberts - Away already. Back next season?

No idea what youngsters will be away. 

Not too many that we'll desperately miss. Campbell and Gallagher would have been good to keep.

Cole, Roberts, Hastie. Foley are the ones from the list Id consider keeping. Got a soft spot for Hastie, albeit appreciate he's not set the heather on fire .

1 minute ago, wellsince75 said:

Not too many that we'll desperately miss. Campbell and Gallagher would have been good to keep.

Cole, Roberts, Hastie. Foley are the ones from the list Id consider keeping. Got a soft spot for Hastie, albeit appreciate he's not set the heather on fire .

I think a carrier bag blowing about the Fir park pitch has more presence and has more chance of finding the net than Hastie

• David locked this topic