2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

10 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Where do you get the info on what players are signed on and for how long? 

I found it.  GA has quite the task on his hands. Hope Carson can make it back but need a Goalie anyway. A strong center back, a new midfield, a goal scoring striker and probably at least 1 other forward. All that is minimum requirement. Hopefully the players and our tactics/formation will compliment each other. 

32 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I found it.  GA has quite the task on his hands. Hope Carson can make it back but need a Goalie anyway. A strong center back, a new midfield, a goal scoring striker and probably at least 1 other forward. All that is minimum requirement. Hopefully the players and our tactics/formation will compliment each other. 

Think some need to temper expectations... minimum requirement?

1 hour ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

What about anything we’ve seen in the past or present made someone offer Lawless an 18 month deal?

Alexander was just in the door on the 15th of January but I’m racking my brain on this one.

I didn't object at the time.  A reasonably solid top flight player of five or six years experience and who quite often chipped in with half a dozen goals or so a season.  It didn't look a retograde step when set against what Hastie, Seedorf or Long stuck out wide were offering in the first few months of the season.

I will however concede however he's delivered the square root since he actually joined mind you.

Same. I was fine with it at the time since he did well for Livi and seemed to be good with Partick too. He was joining from another club who agreed to end his contract, so I doubt we could have swung a 6 month deal even if we wanted to.

He has been rubbish though. Doesn't help that we play him out of his normal position, but that doesn't excuse some of the daft stuff he's done.

11 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Well if we don’t, the the expectations are same pish all over again next season. 

You’ll have seen my posts a lot earlier in this thread. If you think there is going to be a mass cull and the rebuild you were looking for you’re being naive at best.

34 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

You’ll have seen my posts a lot earlier in this thread. If you think there is going to be a mass cull and the rebuild you were looking for you’re being naive at best.

How many new faces would you expect to see in the starting line-up come kick off? 

2 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

How many new faces would you expect to see in the starting line-up come kick off? 

Not many. As I’ve said, the numbers don’t stack up for me given who is under contract, who’s been rehired thus far & who accepts terms. 

• Like 2

I don't expect a massive influx of players based on the numbers we already have under contract for next year. I'm also not sure the manager dislikes some of the contracted folk as much as some of us do. I'm also taking into account the fact that Alexander didn't have to endure that horrible first half of the season, and as such may be more inclined to retain some of the players who did a job for him, like we've already seen with Mugabi and Crawford.

We definitely need at least one center back since we just have Mugabi and Lamie, and with only Tony Watt on the books, we need 2+ forwards. We also need at least one midfielder since Donnelly, Ohara, Crawford and Maguire aren't going to get us through a season.

A lot will be clearer when the released list comes out. We could end up offering terms to Fox, Dunne, Foley, Seedorf and Long :-)

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

I just looked at the players we have signed up for next season.  Defense (other than goalie) can probably get by. But we virtually have no midfield or forward line based on contracts expiring and loans ending. 

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

Same. I was fine with it at the time since he did well for Livi and seemed to be good with Partick too. He was joining from another club who agreed to end his contract, so I doubt we could have swung a 6 month deal even if we wanted to.

He has been rubbish though. Doesn't help that we play him out of his normal position, but that doesn't excuse some of the daft stuff he's done.

Livy supporters just about to a man were  sorry to see Lawless go and felt he had been one of their best players, he was a regular in the Thistle team that also finished top 6. On paper he looked a very solid signing and certainly one that could do a job.

29 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I don't expect a massive influx of players based on the numbers we already have under contract for next year. I'm also not sure the manager dislikes some of the contracted folk as much as some of us do. I'm also taking into account the fact that Alexander didn't have to endure that horrible first half of the season, and as such may be more inclined to retain some of the players who did a job for him, like we've already seen with Mugabi and Crawford.

We definitely need at least one center back since we just have Mugabi and Lamie, and with only Tony Watt on the books, we need 2+ forwards. We also need at least one midfielder since Donnelly, Ohara, Crawford and Maguire aren't going to get us through a season.

A lot will be clearer when the released list comes out. We could end up offering terms to Fox, Dunne, Foley, Seedorf and Long :-)

Not a midfield that’s going to see us upsetting the top six.

Of the 13 players who took the field today (status excepted) , ideally I'd only want retain 5 or maybe 6 at a push: Kelly, O'Donnell, maybe Foley, Cole, McGinley and Watt. That assessment is based on this season , not today's game. Will we have a clearout? I very much doubt it due to contractual reasons.  

Even if finances weren't much of an issue,I wouldn't be keeping foley on,that's nothing against him as he's had not enough game time to show what he can really offer but having o'hara,maguire,crawford and donnolly potentially here next season,it makes for pretty grim viewing,I really hope we're looking to add someone with a bit of energy and attacking threat from the middle of the park as we simply can't go with the midfielders that we have signed up for next season.

• David locked this topic