2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

8 goals and 2 assists in 9 games is a fantastic return, we would be mad not to sign him if we could. 

While I agree his recent form has been good, as I mentioned elsewhere, his goal overall goal scoring record is similar to someone like Ryan Bowman. An average of about 5 per season in the prior 8 years.

We have experience with Watt and I'd be delighted if we could bring back Cole, backed up with a younger prospect to develop.

That is some achievement by st Johnstone,they are all the things we were when we got to the two finals.there organized and play to a certain system with players that are comfortable in that system.that is something alexander will need to sort out with us,get players in that suit his style and prefered formation and anything is possible.roll on the new season.

22 minutes ago, mfc said:

That is some achievement by st Johnstone,they are all the things we were when we got to the two finals.there

Plus a large slice of luck we never seem to get in not having to face either of the ugly sisters in both finals, that very rarely if ever happens in Scottish football, but fair play to them for taking full advantage. 

Outwith the uglies there is not much between the other 10 clubs in the premiership so any luck you get in the cup competitions is a big bonus.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mfc said:

That is some achievement by st Johnstone,they are all the things we were when we got to the two finals.there organized and play to a certain system with players that are comfortable in that system.that is something alexander will need to sort out with us,get players in that suit his style and prefered formation and anything is possible.roll on the new season.

It’s worth remembering that they finished on exactly the same number of points as us. And we had major injury issues this season.

Great achievement by St. J regardless of the draw. I had them tipped for the drop around the time Robbo left. Turned out that was just a bit of a bad run. Bigger teams may have panicked and took drastic action, but fair play to them for sticking to their plan.  Shame no one was their to see either one. 

What bothers me is that this is all attributed to them being well organized and playing players in a system that suits them, which should be the bare bloody minimum a manager does! Hopefully we can do that at least next season. 

I think our team that got to the 2 finals was better, just a shame we caught Celtic pre-meltdown. 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Well  done to St Johnstone,   a great manager but also a combination of good players through academy,  good signings from  championship and a few auld heids.  Just shows you anything is possible

You absolutely need to keep a few auld heids in there. In many cases that was responsible for our fairly consistent success league wise post-Malpas. Craigan, Lasley and Hammell were very much the bastions long term with the team generally changing around them substantially every year. I struggle to see that same staple if you like in our squad, the only one with the potential is Watt - an absolute workhorse and I think he genuinely has found his club since arriving at Motherwell. I get it has been a few yeas since all those players came off the pitch but I have reflected on that regularly recently with the perceived lack of love of the club in the current team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Well  done to St Johnstone,   a great manager but also a combination of good players through academy,  good signings from  championship and a few auld heids.  Just shows you anything is possible

Yes, a morale boost to us as a club as it shows what can be achieved on a limited budget. OK, I accept that their playing budget is a bit more geenrous than ours. Their "exceptional team of this season contains no John Ruddy, no Cedric Kipre, no David Turnbull, and no Louis Moult. It contains a good mix of journeymen who are very competitive, can play well together as team, are solid and make very few mistakes. There's no brilliance in the team just solid no nonsense football. As Spiderpig says though, they also enjoyed a fair measure of luck and that shouldn't be underestimated.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

I hope GA was looking at the final as St Johnstone’s defending was magnificent curtailing Hibs to one genuine opportunity in the game, I would love us to see us defending like that!

Thats the foundation of their success. Exciting football? No way, but ask any St Johnstone fan tonight if they care a jot.   

8 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

I hope GA was looking at the final as St Johnstone’s defending was magnificent curtailing Hibs to one genuine opportunity in the game, I would love us to see us defending like that!

An element of that but everyone in Perth must also be pissing themselves that Hibs also failed to turn up in any shape or form.

13 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Plus a large slice of luck we never seem to get in not having to face either of the ugly sisters in both finals, that very rarely if ever happens in Scottish football, but fair play to them for taking full advantage. 

In the League cup they beat Celtic at Parkhead and in the Scottish Cup they beat Rangers at Ibrox. 

Not much luck involved there. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

In the League cup they beat Celtic at Parkhead and in the Scottish Cup they beat Rangers at Ibrox. 

It was Ross County who put Celtic out of the League Cup.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Not much luck don't talk shite, league cup both the uglies out, none of which they had to beat themselves,  Scottish cup they beat Rangers with an  injury time goal from their goalkeeper ffs who was allowed a free header, in a game Rangers should have been out of site in.

Yes they got lucky bigtime in both competitions winning one trophy without the uglies involved is usually the only way the other clubs s get a sniff, but being only the 4th club in Scottish football history to pick up a cup double tells you how lucky they were. But they still had to beat whoever they were playing so fair play to them for taking full advantage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think the biggest "luck" factor, if you want to call it luck, was just how weird this season has been with all the Covid restrictions. With the exception of Rangers, every team's form has been all over the place. Same in England where Man City cantered to the title losing 6 and drawing 5 games - which is nowhere winning form for prior seasons.

The fact that the Scottish Cup ties were compressed into a few weeks also helped, as it meant you only needed to maintain good cup form over a much shorter time frame.

That's not to take anything away from St Johnstone. The conditions were the same for every team and they took full advantage of it. An incredible achievement for any of the "wee" teams in the modern era and something the fans will be talking about forever.

A small part of me is happy we didn't get to the finals this season purely because it would have been awful having to watch us compete for a trophy in an empty stadium - but I'm sure I'd have been delighted if we'd won.

29 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

I’d be surprised if it was much more than ours. I suspect our playing budget is pretty much the same as St Johnstone. 

St Johnstone's playing budget is "top 6" and has been for some years. Yes, its behind the likes of Aberdeen, Dundee United and Hibs, but its possibly the highest of the rest. Its not thousands above our average salary  but it is a bit. 

8 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

According to the Record we are favourites to sign Connor Sheilds from QoS, unfortunately don’t know much about him but was scoring for Q of S so maybe worth a punt

I know there is often a push on here to sign players from the Scottish leagues rather than the lower leagues down south so I would imagine a popular bit of gossip. As with every signing we make it’s a gamble, he’s fairly young but his record is pretty average and I’m not sure the snippets I’ve seen give a real indication of his ability to make the step up. Personally I don’t care where we sign players from, it’s all about finding those diamonds regardless of where they come from, for every Lui Moult there is always going to be a few who don’t make the grade.

• David locked this topic