2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

11 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Biggest rebuild will be the dressing rooms as Alexander wants them extended - that’s with a reduced squad too

from memory there's some space to reclaim with some creative architecture but interesting to see how much of a benefit

11 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Well, he’s magic according to most on here so doubt it’ll cause him too much hassle.

I've not really read that as the general consensus on here at all. Most have been saying he has done a good job in turning the club around from where we were but the jury is out and he has the big task coming in the summer..... :dontknow:

1 hour ago, Big Stall said:

I've not really read that as the general consensus on here at all. Most have been saying he has done a good job in turning the club around from where we were but the jury is out and he has the big task coming in the summer..... :dontknow:

Well it is Steelmen Online.

Basically the Manager approval ratings (1-5) goes from:

1. He is doing an OK job but not convinced yet. 

2. I would not sack him yet.

3. He coat is on a shoogly peg.

4. He is utter garbage and has no idea what he is doing. 

5. Sack this buffoon now or I am not going back to Fir Park. 

4 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Well it is Steelmen Online.

Basically the Manager approval ratings (1-5) goes from:

1. He is doing an OK job but not convinced yet. 

2. I would not sack him yet.

3. He coat is on a shoogly peg.

4. He is utter garbage and has no idea what he is doing. 

5. Sack this buffoon now or I am not going back to Fir Park. 

I rate him as 1 options 2-5 are all irrelevant at this time, well for most on the forum  anyway. We can repeat this topic next summer when we can judge him for a full season with his choice of players etc.

21 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I rate him as 1 options 2-5 are all irrelevant at this time, well for most on the forum  anyway. We can repeat this topic next summer when we can judge him for a full season with his choice of players etc.

I rest my case....

I think he has done a VERY good job given the circumstances he faced when he came in. To get us from relegation to 8th (effectively joint 7th) was almost as good as he could have achieved. Take Tommy Wright as an alternative example.

I am glad he was appointed and am hopeful he can kick on and get us challenging for top 6 or more probably 6th place. 

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I rest my case....

I think he has done a VERY good job given the circumstances he faced when he came in. To get us from relegation to 8th (effectively joint 7th) was almost as good as he could have achieved. Take Tommy Wright as an alternative example.

I am glad he was appointed and am hopeful he can kick on and get us challenging for top 6 or more probably 6th place. 

Exactly. The form guide since he came in, even before the split (which skews it a bit) had us sitting 2nd and 3rd.

There's been a few really disappointing performances along the way, but there isn't a team in the league that doesn't apply to and in the big picture so far Alexander has been excellent for us.

I think folk are right hold back just now though - one of the biggest tests for a manager is building a squad and there's a big job this summer, however I think there's every reason for us to feel optimistic about things. 

GA has done very well so far in keeping us up and finishing in 8th. So as far as that immediate aim is concerned, its job done. However he will have longer term objectives to hit such as rebuilding the squad and promoting youth. We don't know how he'll fare in these regards. 

It doesn't end there though. What style of play will he implement? I'd like to see open expansive football but, for me, that comes second to being successful on the pitch. I know others will disagree, some vehemently, on that. 

its important that we move forward.

In the last 5-6 years our revenue has been incredible through selling players but none if it has been reinvested in the squad to help move us from the 10th biggest earners to the 9th, 8th etc.

I get why we had to do this.

Moving forward Id like to see progression , reinvest in the team and move us forward. 

Yeah, season after two cup finals and the cash boost = shitshow

No Turnbull, no doubt budget decreased = finish 3rd

3rd cash boost/Turnbull cash, you'd expect a cash injection = finish 8th

Maybe we should just pay players in ginger bottles and win the Champions League (in 2023 obv)

All this highlights is that the summer business is key. The squad this year was bloated with too many below average players where 2 or 3 quality players at the expense of 8 or 9 what we had would have made all the difference. I would hope GA's contacts in the game and standing can attracts players notwithstanding our own positive story about raising up players and giving them a springboard.

Robinson was big on the character of a player, what they added to the dressing room, what example they led, reviewing the social media for clues as to their outlook and true idea of their injuries. Identifying that corrosive arttitudes poison the harmony and effectiveness of a squad. I wonder with him gone that ethos has stayed central to our recruitment or seen as a thing of the past under a past regime.

2 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Yeah, season after two cup finals and the cash boost = shitshow

No Turnbull, no doubt budget decreased = finish 3rd

3rd cash boost/Turnbull cash, you'd expect a cash injection = finish 8th

Maybe we should just pay players in ginger bottles and win the Champions League (in 2023 obv)

Robinson was big on the character of a player, what they added to the dressing room, what example they led, reviewing the social media for clues as to their outlook and true idea of their injuries. Identifying that corrosive arttitudes poison the harmony and effectiveness of a squad. I wonder with him gone that ethos has stayed central to our recruitment or seen as a thing of the past under a past regime.

The team suffered badly from a lack of character this season. I just wonder if Robbo was as keen on character as you say. It seems that GA is very focused on character and attitude.

30 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Looking for 7-10 signings according to GA on the latest ep of inside motherwell. He then goes on to say he wants to keep the squad tight and close knit.

Quality not quantity is always a good approach,  we failed badly on that last summer and in January  this year, commiting funds to dross who contributed nothing, so we need to get it right this summer, I hope GA's contacts book is full he will need it.

• David locked this topic