2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

14 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Another local lad. 

I'm assuming there's no training compensation owed. Cant say I've saw enough of the Championship to say anything but looks a decent return in terms of goals.

A quick look at the regs says that Training Compensation is due "each time a player is transferred until the end of the calendar year of his 23rd birthday"

So if that is accurate, the compo requirement ended in December 2020.

I heard GA say recruitment was well under way, so good to see us get some early business completed.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I'm getting worried about this forum new player just in the door and it's all positive, nobody slaughtering him yet, :dontknow:

The no. 6 tried to slaughter him at the first goal in the clip, if that had connected he would have landed in the town centre.

• Like 1

Got just about everything in his locker,  fast,  direct,  good with the ball at his feet,  good out wide or more central.  Can score and assist. Not too sure about his attitude if things aren't going right though although there wasn't a massive problem with this at Palmerston.  He did tail off a bit near the end of the season. As others have said,  would be happy to see him back on loan sometime. 

Asked some of the QOS boys over on P&B about him and this was a typical response

30 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

When was the last time we gave a full 3 year contract to a new signing ? Showing a lot of faith.

GA and the coaching team must rate him, a young player with lots of potential to develop, could potentially be a very good signing, nice to see we are getting our business started early.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

GA and the coaching team must rate him, a young player with lots of potential to develop, could potentially be a very good signing, nice to see we are getting our business started early.

They must indeed, however it’s going to be a tough 3 years if he’s written off after two or three games.

Addressing the problem of loan and year long deals at last. Most signing short deals dont really have any real commitment to the club or bother about Motherwell long term. Hence apathy in the dressing room.

39 minutes ago, stv said:

Addressing the problem of loan and year long deals at last. Most signing short deals dont really have any real commitment to the club or bother about Motherwell long term. Hence apathy in the dressing room.

The apathy that got us to 3rd not so long ago?

Professional sportsmen of any sport want to win. They won't stay pro very long otherwise, but they live, eat and breathe winning. Even off the pitch and after they retire. 

It's a difficult balance for a budget constrained club like ours. One year is too short. Two years is often the longest players will commit to. Three years is great if the player is good - if they are a dud then we have tied up a wage for two years too long. And with a squad of 24, that is quite a big percentage of wage. 

Can you imagine the complaining on here if the guys we released this summer were all coming back for another 2 seasons?

I also think that offering  a 3 year deal gives any player choosing between us and the rest of the teams who might also interested in him but offering a shorter deal on much the same money a bit more security and hopefully be more inclined to sign for us.

Might even help to attract a better level of player as well.

4 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Remember I’ve not lived in Scotland for over 30 years……. What happened to teams signing players from the juniors? Is that even still a thing? 

there is probably only a handful of junior teams  that are any good now as they all defected to the new lowland type set up  so your not left with very many top end players. 

i think the last one we signrd from the juniors ( dundonald bluebells ) martin greshem or something like that, was a striker dont think he made it and went back to the juniors 

5 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Remember I’ve not lived in Scotland for over 30 years……. What happened to teams signing players from the juniors? Is that even still a thing? 

Juniors no more

There are now part of the new WoSFL which is part of the pyramid … … heap of shite and a total decimation of the grade

36 minutes ago, smiddy said:

i think the last one we signrd from the juniors ( dundonald bluebells ) martin greshem or something like that, was a striker dont think he made it and went back to the juniors 

Aye, Martin Grehan. Think he was scoring about 40 a season for them. Only came off the bench once for us. 

9 hours ago, weeyin said:

The apathy that got us to 3rd not so long 

No , the apathy that was going to get us relagated until the new manager came in. 

I agree its a balance with contrct lengths, but  a team needs a commited core. 

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

Juniors no more

There are now part of the new WoSFL which is part of the pyramid … … heap of shite and a total decimation of the grade

I really like the idea of the pyramid so I’ll disagree with you on that.

I think Shields will be Long’s replacement rather than a definite starter which is fine by me.

7 hours ago, stv said:

No , the apathy that was going to get us relagated until the new manager came in. 

I agree its a balance with contrct lengths, but  a team needs a commited core. 

Totally agree with your second point, but your first point isn't adding up. We only had Lang, Crawford and Hastie on loan in the first half of the season. Hastie wasn't great but he definitely knocked his pan in, Lang was good enough to go straight back to the Wigan first team at Christmas and regardless of Crawford's performances he never looked apathetic. Kelly and Roberts coming in on loan In January saved our season. Nolan was injured (or something), Harry Smith just didn't look good enough and Magloire has been okay(ish). 

You could argue about quality, but there's I don't think it's fair to say the loanees attitudes were a problem. 

• David locked this topic