2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

I don't think the loan players were a problem as far as the team mentality went. Both nolan and Smith were injured, so we'll never know what they could have done for us, although Smith's chance against Celtic was frustrating. Kelly and Roberts were committed and made a big difference. 

There was an issue though, since both managers, and lasley, mentioned it. Gallagher and Polworth were two that clearly wanted to leave but there must have been more to it than that. Looking forward to Robbo or Lasley's tell all book. 

Forgot all about lang, what a weird season. 

12 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I don't think the loan players were a problem as far as the team mentality went. Both nolan and Smith were injured, so we'll never know what they could have done for us, although Smith's chance against Celtic was frustrating. Kelly and Roberts were committed and made a big difference. 

There was an issue though, since both managers, and lasley, mentioned it. Gallagher and Polworth were two that clearly wanted to leave but there must have been more to it than that. Looking forward to Robbo or Lasley's tell all book. 

Forgot all about lang, what a weird season. 

I think to a degree Lang was unlucky. He joined at a time when confidence was extremely low  and it ended up pulling him down. He was clearly not lacking ability and could well thrive again in the right set up.

I suppose loanees do have a point to prove to thier parent club  . One year terms playing for a bigger move ,we could benifit from only short term.  We will always be chasing our tail to build a stable squad dedicated to improving the club, with these type signings. Realisticly good players for our leval are always going to be hard to ty down on longer contracts. SOD worked out well , the exception to the rule? 

16 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I think to a degree Lang was unlucky. He joined at a time when confidence was extremely low  and it ended up pulling him down. He was clearly not lacking ability and could well thrive again in the right set up.

He's scored 8 in his last 15 games at Wigan so he's definitely thriving down there.

Think Conor Shields is an excellent signing. We were actually interested in him when he was flying at Albion rovers a few years ago but he got the move to Sunderland. Also thought he would have been worth a punt last season. But I’m kind of glad the way it’s worked out, move to QoS has probably been a massive confidence booster for him and has shown exactly what he can do at a level just below us. 3 year deal is a great move from the club and a local boy too.

1 hour ago, supermarv said:

Think Conor Shields is an excellent signing. We were actually interested in him when he was flying at Albion rovers a few years ago but he got the move to Sunderland. Also thought he would have been worth a punt last season. But I’m kind of glad the way it’s worked out, move to QoS has probably been a massive confidence booster for him and has shown exactly what he can do at a level just below us. 3 year deal is a great move from the club and a local boy too.

Well it’s either a fantastic decision to give a 3 year deal, or it turns out we are stuck with a player for 3 years that we can’t get rid of. We should know fairly quickly when the season kicks off.  

40 minutes ago, santheman said:

Rumours we're after Ben Henegan at Wimbledon

Anyone else heard anything?

Not exactly rated by many when last here so not sure how that would go down.

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

Not exactly rated by many when last here so not sure how that would go down.

A few years experience under his belt since those days. Currently their club captain as well so must have something still in his locker.

Time will tell I suppose.

38 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I thought Heneghan was ok with us. Yes, a few rough edges but he played in a poor team. We could do far far worse.

I agree, I thought he was better than given credit for.

I thought he did fine, although he needed an experienced head to play beside him and talk him through the games.

I get pretty bored pretty quickly, though, with the transfer chat about bringing players back. Part of the fun of being a 'Well fan is "discovering" a new talent like a Kipré or a Moult.

With few very rare exceptions signing ex-players smacks of a lack of vision and ambition.

28 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I thought he did fine, although he needed an experienced head to play beside him and talk him through the games.

I get pretty bored pretty quickly, though, with the transfer chat about bringing players back. Part of the fun of being a 'Well fan is "discovering" a new talent like a Kipré or a Moult.

With few very rare exceptions signing ex-players smacks of a lack of vision and ambition.

True, but looking at the actual standard - would a 27 year old with 90 appearances since 2018 at mid/ lower english league-one clubs seem like a decent signing? Most fans would say that sounds decent enough. 

Heneghan was a decent SPL centre back when he played for us before, that was not long after the time where we couldn't sell anyone (Randolph and Hutchinson both went on to have fantastic careers but not a single bid) so I think that clouds the judgement of how good a bit of business getting 400k for Ben was.

He's not exciting but we need a solid steady hand at centre back and we would certainly fit that bill. Dunno what he would be looking for money wise but I imagine it would be towards the top end of our budget.

According to my Rangers mate, he reckons that Hastie and a few others namely Jones and Middleton are going to be released of their contracts, whether that’s true or not it is not unsurprising, if we get Hastie for nothing I would be willing to give him a chance, but would prefer Jones if we had an option!!

12 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

According to my Rangers mate, he reckons that Hastie and a few others namely Jones and Middleton are going to be released of their contracts, whether that’s true or not it is not unsurprising, if we get Hastie for nothing I would be willing to give him a chance, but would prefer Jones if we had an option!!

Stewart is another player heading for the exit door but I wouldn't be surprised if he went to Aberdeen or Hibs or maybe even Dundee seeing he was on the books previously at Dens. I think a decent pacey winger is something we missed last season, Jones and Stewart are two I would happily look at but wouldn't be surprised if they were outwith our budget. 

45 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Regarding Hastie not surprised but I’m still of the opinion a return would be based more on his history with us than his ability to cut it at the top level. Any other loan player would be out the door never to return if their overall performances were on a level his were. Now Roberts I would consider ( injury permitting).

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

Wouldnt take Hastie in a lucky bag. Has show zero since his 7 game purple patch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

Regarding Hastie not surprised but I’m still of the opinion a return would be based more on his history with us than his ability to cut it at the top level. Any other loan player would be out the door never to return if their overall performances were on a level his were. Now Roberts I would consider ( injury permitting).

Exactly Hastie is a Scottish Championship player at best.

2 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

Middleton is a decent prospect, he will probably sign a permanent deal at St Johnstone if he is released, to be fair it will be a great career move, maybe not financially  but football wise for all of them to get away from the blue uglies, they should all get a team at a decent level. 

• David locked this topic