2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

I assume it's just an "on this date" kind of tweet, as the second leg was 31st May.

I liked Lasley's comment about that game.

"My son and daughter both have a tile in the tunnel as you go out and I like to touch them as I go by. It just reminds me of why you are out there, who you are doing it for. My son's optimistically says 'score a goal Daddy' although I'm not sure if it was worth the price of the tile.

Think I'm in the minority but wouldn't mind seeing Hastie back on a permanent deal. He's got the physical attributes and Alexander seems like the kind of guy who could coach him to use that again. He was at his best when he was running into space or at people with the ball at his feet.

The only reason I'd like hastie to come back is that Rangers had to pay us for him, and now we will get him for nothing, and there's a tiny wee possibility we can sell him again. This ticks so many boxes, maybe we can loan him to plymouth.

58 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Think I'm in the minority but wouldn't mind seeing Hastie back on a permanent deal. He's got the physical attributes and Alexander seems like the kind of guy who could coach him to use that again. He was at his best when he was running into space or at people with the ball at his feet.

Im genuinely not having a go but what exactly is it Hastie has shown you that makes you think hes worth signing again. I genuinely want to know what I'm missing.

13 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Im genuinely not having a go but what exactly is it Hastie has shown you that makes you think hes worth signing again. I genuinely want to know what I'm missing.

‘One of our own’

We've seen what he can do at his best. Some of us view that preiod where he broke through with us as a purple patch never to be replicated again, and others think there is something there that the right manager can work with to bring him back to what he was. I'm somewhere in the middle.

I think if he can get a run, and boost his confidence, he has the attributes to be an effective player, although streaky like most wingers. However, I think he's a long way from getting there  based on how hopeless he looked last season. 

I think he needs to be somewhere where he will be a guaranteed starter, and I'd be surprised if it was us.

41 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

We've seen what he can do at his best. Some of us view that preiod where he broke through with us as a purple patch never to be replicated again, and others think there is something there that the right manager can work with to bring him back to what he was. I'm somewhere in the middle.

I think if he can get a run, and boost his confidence, he has the attributes to be an effective player, although streaky like most wingers. However, I think he's a long way from getting there  based on how hopeless he looked last season. 

I think he needs to be somewhere where he will be a guaranteed starter, and I'd be surprised if it was us.

The problem for Hastie is he is now 2 years from his "purple patch" and has done the square root of bugger all anywhere he's been since. If hes going to turn into a player he better start showing something now or his career will drift into oblivion. Mind you he is a prime example of why players should jump at a big money move. He will be a wealthy man having done sod all in football.

Thing is GA has seen enough to know if its a good move or not. I'll sit and see what transpires. Notwithstanding he may decide to go elsewhere, let's not be arrogant about him only coming here.

His history so far suggests he is a confidence player but hampered by lack of consistency. On his game he's a handful but unfortunately those are like hens teeth.

Alloa ... didn't set the heather alight

Back to FP ..... heather blowtorched

Ibrox ..... was always bought as someone to be brought on rather than immediate inclusion in the matchday squad

Rotherham .... amazing start, went off the boil (sound familiar?)

Motherwell ..... the indifference/apology making/citing of hope on here tells us that he didn't enhance the squad or options this season

11 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

As others have said when he burst onto the scene he was unplayable. Would be great if we could get him like that again.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

As others have said when he burst onto the scene he was unplayable. Would be great if we could get him like that again.

My argument would be he was also one of the most predictable players you would ever see. If you look back at any montage of him you know exactly what he’s going to do which was usually cut inside and shoot, and managers soon worked out that if you stopped him doing by closing him down and not just standing off  he was ineffective.  I remember watching him at games and knowing exactly what his next move was going to be. He then started to get taken off and seemed less than happy and you thought that maybe his head had been turned but tended to think he’s going to develop over time, it’s never happened. I’m no longer convinced that’s ever going to happen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

My argument would be he was also one of the most predictable players you would ever see. If you look back at any montage of him you know exactly what he’s going to do which was usually cut inside and shoot, and managers soon worked out that if you stopped him doing by closing him down and not just standing off  he was ineffective.  I remember watching him at games and knowing exactly what his next move was going to be. He then started to get taken off and seemed less than happy and you thought that maybe his head had been turned but tended to think he’s going to develop over time, it’s never happened. I’m no longer convinced that’s ever going to happen.

100% this he is Jamie Murphy Mark 2, he always wanted to cut inside just like Hastie does, as you say stay with him and show him down the line and he is very ineffectual .

3 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Absolutely. Another Ross Forbes? Towards the end of his purple patch, opposing managers had him sussed. A one trick pony? I recall he scored one of his trademark goals against Hearts and Craig Levein going nuclear at one of his defenders for allowing him to cut inside. Not for me.

17 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I would say it's a massive minority (does that make sense?) I can't think of anyone I have ever seen say they take him back.

50 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

100% this he is Jamie Murphy Mark 2, he always wanted to cut inside just like Hastie does, as you say stay with him and show him down the line and he is very ineffectual .

these comparisons are a bit wild. Jamie Murphy was a good player.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

I would say it's a massive minority (does that make sense?) I can't think of anyone I have ever seen say they take him back.

these comparisons are a bit wild. Jamie Murphy was a good player.

It was not a comparison on footballing ability, but on the style of play, I appreciate Murphy is a much better player , but he is easy to defend against all he wants to do is cut inside he gets away with it more as he's a better player and can adapt but Hastie plays the same way without the extra ability and almost always comes up short.

• David locked this topic