2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

Absolute baseless speculation here, founded  in no reality whatsoever but that’s what close seasons are for.

I’m imagining that the outgoing players (including Dunne) must be freeing up close to 20k a Week in salaries which is a huge chunk. 

If Alexander is correct that he is running with a smaller squad and we are maintaining playing budgets, then we must be looking at almost doubling our weekly average wage I’m guessing. 

I mean really, I’m glad another charity case has been taken off our hands, before we did anything stupid. Dunne was ok when fit, benefitted greatly playing with stronger players in the back line when he went through his purple patch with us. 

But his injury record is simply atrocious, not a player we should’ve even been thinking about offering another contract too. Quite frankly St Mirren offering him 2 years is wild. If it pays off for them, fair enough. Wish him all the best and hopefully he has fully recovered and get a proper run of games.

To get a 2 year deal at another top flight team having been injured for so long is really good going for him,he played his part in us getting to the two cup finals and for that I hope he has a bit of luck  on his side and he can get his career going again.

• Like 2

I think we were doing him a favour by inviting him to pre-season. Fair play on the 2 year deal, I doubt we would have given him that even if he had proved his fitness. Could be a decent signing for them if he stays fit.

I heard today we offered him a deal which I thought was strange but probably a counter to this offer. 

If St Mirren have offered him two years then it's an incredible result for Dunne. Not much direct return for our loyalty but having a reputation as a club that looks after players will always be an advantage when bringing in new players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

They also expect a ball playing midfielder to be a hard tackling, back tracking, box-to-box dynamo.

A tad harsh Weeyin. I expect a decent ball playing midfielder, at our level, to have a wee bit of pace, work hard and not hide when the going gets tough. Is that unreasonable? 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A tad harsh Weeyin. I expect a decent ball playing midfielder, at our level, to have a wee bit of pace, work hard and not hide when the going gets tough. Is that unreasonable? 

Generally, yes.

I expect ball players to be making time for themselves, picking out passes and looking to protect the ball. When we lose possesion, I expect them to be taking up good position and making themselves available for when we win it back.

I didn't care that Davie Cooper, Bobby Russell, Gary McAllister or Brian McLair never tackled or got "stuck in".  A well balanced midfield has tacklers, box-to-box and play makers. It's rare to have a quality ball player that is also a midfield dynamo or a hard tackler - and even more rare that we could afford someone who is.

Get someone comfortable on the ball and build a midfield to protect them and let them do their job. It's a lot easier to find players who run around and tackle than it is to find a player that always makes time for a pass and has the quality to complete it.

A classic example of that balance would the the French Carré Magique of Tigana, Fernandez, Giresse and Platini.

There is no reason why a ball playing midfielder can't work hard. When Polworth had a few good months his work rate was excellent so he could do it when his head was right. Vigurs was just unfit but I honestly don't think we'll see many more players like that as the game has moved on and everyone has to produce stats in training and games.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

They also expect a ball playing midfielder to be a hard tackling, back tracking, box-to-box dynamo.

When I read that description of a player I immediately thing of Phil O Donnell in his first spell as a youngster. 

Maybe ball playing was his weakness in that description but a back tracking box to box dynamo he certainly was. A player that we were lucky to have. 

1 hour ago, star sail said:

When I read that description of a player I immediately thing of Phil O Donnell in his first spell as a youngster. 

Maybe ball playing was his weakness in that description but a back tracking box to box dynamo he certainly was. A player that we were lucky to have. 

That's my point really.  With an O'Donnell or a Campbell in mid, you can afford the play maker beside them. Ally Mauchlen beside Gary McAllister is another perfect example of that balance.

• Like 1

Charles Dunne is a strange one. He has been missing through injury for so long that it doesn't seem to feel like losing a player. His efforts when he was fit were worthy enough, though you tended to think that the main asset he brought was his pace, and without that you would have to consider whether he was good enough for this level. I think the club has done the right thing by him and obviously got him back toa level of fitness, but what sort of deal were we going to offer him? As it is, you certainly cannot be on harsh on the guy for accepting a two year deal, even if it is with St Midden. I am happy enough to offer a qualified good luck and best wishes to the guy. He always gave his all for the cause while at Fir Park and deserves a bit of luck on the injuries and fitness front. Please just don't come back and have an absolute blinder when you play against us.

Some of the twitter comments are wild, guys raging that he has left in this manner, thrown it back in our faces was being thrown about quite a lot. Best of luck to the guy, A horrible two years or so and a fresh start is definitely required to get his career back on track. Seems a genuinely cracking guy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

Some of the twitter comments are wild, guys raging that he has left in this manner, thrown it back in our faces was being thrown about quite a lot. Best of luck to the guy, A horrible two years or so and a fresh start is definitely required to get his career back on track. Seems a genuinely cracking guy.

Spot on,some of the comments online about dunne leaving are just nonsense,guys playing for the likes of us and st mirren are never going to be millionaires and need to grab the security of a contract with both hands when it comes,especially with his history of injury getting a 2 year deal is incredible and good luck to him.i get why we invited him back for pre season but I actually think him moving on before then is best all round,he can concentrate on his new club and we can start looking for a replacement.

• David locked this topic