2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

Agree with the comments about Dunne, he's had a tough few years and the wages we've been paying were probably a fraction of what he was on. He was offered a trial with us or a two year contract with St Mirren. That offer probably wouldn't be on the table for long and so can't blame him at all for jumping at it.  

Good luck to Charles Dunne. A decent guy by all accounts, who deserves a bit of good luck. Not the best footballer in the world but very quick on his feet and decent in the air. I'm surprised that St Mirren offered him a 2 year deal given his injury record but thats up to them. He also leaves with a bit of class.

I wonder if we knew of St Mirren's interest when he was offered a short term deal/pre season training facilities? From the sound of things St Mirren had him  medically checked out thoroughly and these things take time.

All in all a good moves for both parties. It gives our management team a bit more clarity on the squad make up as rebuilding continues.

I bear no ill will to Charles Dunne. Always gave 100% when he played. While not the best defender we've seen at Fir Park, he was far from the worst. I don't know how much he would have played had he stayed given both Lamie and McGinlay can play left centre half so probably a good move for both club and player. 

With the number of players leaving, it frees up a fair bit of the wage budget for the 7-10 signings that Alexander says we're after. Like others, I'd hope that one is a starting midfielder and one a starting centre half...

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

the two cup finals? Dark period?

I kind of get what he means. Yes two cup finals, but they were pretty devoid of footballing entertainment from our point of view. And while I know a lot of folk think things like big Ryan bursting Cardoso's nose was hilarious, I'd much rather watch us running rings round teams than battering them off the park.

54 minutes ago, numpty said:

I kind of get what he means. Yes two cup finals, but they were pretty devoid of footballing entertainment from our point of view. And while I know a lot of folk think things like big Ryan bursting Cardoso's nose was hilarious, I'd much rather watch us running rings round teams than battering them off the park.

I think you've been listening to St Brendan, Rangers and  the Scottish press if your takeaway from that Cup Semi is that we relied on physicality rather than playing football.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, numpty said:

We were great to watch for a 6 month spell. Physical aye, but plenty of teams had a worse disciplinary than us that season.

5 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

With the number of players leaving, it frees up a fair bit of the wage budget for the 7-10 signings that Alexander says we're after. Like others, I'd hope that one is a starting midfielder and one a starting centre half...

I'm not sure how GA's 7-10 number will pan out but I'd be looking at bringing in 2 starting centre halves and yes one midfielder. That said, I'd like to see McGinley tried in the middle, as I thought that was his position. We seem to have a lot of experienced defenders and midfielders but how many are real starters? Hopefully we'll concentrate on quality rather than quantity this summer.

2 hours ago, Ped_MFC said:

I think you've been listening to St Brendan, Rangers and  the Scottish press if your takeaway from that Cup Semi is that we relied on physicality rather than playing football.

I certainly don't believe we elbowed our way to the final, we absolutely got there on merit. I've just never particularly enjoyed watching niggly feckers being niggly feckers, whether they're ours or anyone else's.

4 hours ago, numpty said:

I’m pretty sure Rangers had more red cards that season than us. Did Bowman really have that bad a record, not that it recollect. The whole hammer throwers line was nonsense.

Just now, Yorkyred said:

I’m pretty sure Rangers had more red cards that season than us. Did Bowman really have that bad a record, not that it recollect. The whole hammer throwers line was nonsense.

We had 3 each, if you believe Transfermarkt, and Bowman picked up 4 yellows and no reds if you believe Soccerbase. I dare say I wouldn't have enjoyed watching Rangers that year either though ;) 

54 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Bowman was never a dirty player, he was tarred with that reputation after a tackle on Kieran Tierney at Parkhead a few months before that Semi Final. Rodgers slated him after that game and the press were only too happy to run with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Thankfully

Agreed, he looked handy in the televised games (old firm) where he had one job and that was to run at folk and put them under pressure, that seemed to be his only trait though. Apparently stormed out the stadium after being subbed and after Alexander's chat about characters, he doesn't tick that box either.

8 hours ago, mfc said:

Weve offered lafferty a deal according to sun,if true i wonder if that means cole won't be staying.

These things don’t stay secret for too long. Always seems to hit the press within days.....agent at work I wonder...

If true it would be a decent signing. Not the most likeable chap, primarily because he has scored against us many times. 

All that said - is it even true we have offered him a deal. I also suspect if he has turned down Killie our wage / contract offer won’t be much more. Maybe he does not want to play in the championship or maybe he would still like to earn £4 or £5k a week. I suspect there will be a club out there prepared to offer more than we can. 

We shall see but not too sure this one will get over the line.

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

These things don’t stay secret for too long. Always seems to hit the press within days.....agent at work I wonder...

If true it would be a decent signing. Not the most likeable chap, primarily because he has scored against us many times. 

All that said - is it even true we have offered him a deal. I also suspect if he has turned down Killie our wage / contract offer won’t be much more. Maybe he does not want to play in the championship or maybe he would still like to earn £4 or £5k a week. I suspect there will be a club out there prepared to offer more than we can. 

We shall see but not too sure this one will get over the line.

Or maybe he doesn’t want to play on that plastic abomination that passes for a football pitch 

You would imagine at his age he would want to play at the highest level in Scotland while he still can and he will certainly have offers. Personally I would  not rule us out of the running.

Just trying to work out what formation we will be playing with a front three of Lafferty/Cole/Moult.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

My killie fan mate told me that Lafferty was on £2,500 a week and £1,000 a goal.  No way would we pay him that

Can I ask why we wouldn’t? I’m not a particular fan of signing Lafferty btw however we surely must have room in the budget for that level of spending? Alexander has gone public in saying that we will be bringing in between 7 and 10 players after having released 24. I’ve got no inside knowledge however looking at the public accounts, some deduction would suggest we’ve just removed about 20-25k in weekly wages from released players therefore the money should be there if we are maintaining playing budgets as we have said we will.

• Like 1

The whole lafferty situation is a no brainer for me, he scored loads of goals in a poor team last season, i think alot of fans dislike him due to his history with Rangers but say it was a player who hadnt played with Rangers/Hearts with figures like he had we would all be delighted. I will be happy IF we sign him, guaranteed to score goals and is an improvement on who left the squad. 

• David locked this topic