2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

1 hour ago, 1991 said:

The whole lafferty situation is a no brainer for me, he scored loads of goals in a poor team last season, i think alot of fans dislike him due to his history with Rangers but say it was a player who hadnt played with Rangers/Hearts with figures like he had we would all be delighted. I will be happy IF we sign him, guaranteed to score goals and is an improvement on who left the squad. 

Before his purple patch with Killie (bolstered by hat-trick vs Stenhousemuir) he has scored 10 goals in 62 games.

All his league goals were against bottom 6 teams so zero evidence he can play against a good side. For example his hat-trick against Utd came in the midweek before their cup tie. Utd had rested most of their team.

He is turning 34. Not someone we should be looking at.

• Like 2

I’d just like to think there are better out there. There must be a striker somewhere who could emulate Moult and we could get a payday at the end of his time. Issue is finding him.

Can’t help but feel I’ve seen this adoration of a player numerous times before. Cup final in 2017, Bigi plays OK compared to the rest, many on here see his regular inclusion as the key to success. Hastie, purple patch, a few wise heads were suggesting the hype should be tempered and that, with hindsight was astute.

Lafferty has a number of things not going for him, attitude, age and a run of good games after a significant drought. Adding penalties to his tally has to be tempered too, what’s important here if he was instrumental in them being won rather than slotting them away.

In his favour, he seemingly single handedly kept a rank team their top flight status a possibility until the last round of fixtures. But context is required, I didn’t watch all of both legs of the playoff, maybe that’s a better indicator.

His arrival would result in a shoulder shrug rather than genuine anticipation for me.

The way I look at it is despite the baggage the guy is undoubtably a very good player and you can never have enough of them in your team.

Don't think it'll happen though that's assuming there's any truth in the story.

1 hour ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I’d just like to think there are better out there. There must be a striker somewhere who could emulate Moult and we could get a payday at the end of his time. Issue is finding him.

Can’t help but feel I’ve seen this adoration of a player numerous times before. Cup final in 2017, Bigi plays OK compared to the rest, many on here see his regular inclusion as the key to success. Hastie, purple patch, a few wise heads were suggesting the hype should be tempered and that, with hindsight was astute.

Lafferty has a number of things not going for him, attitude, age and a run of good games after a significant drought. Adding penalties to his tally has to be tempered too, what’s important here if he was instrumental in them being won rather than slotting them away.

In his favour, he seemingly single handedly kept a rank team their top flight status a possibility until the last round of fixtures. But context is required, I didn’t watch all of both legs of the playoff, maybe that’s a better indicator.

His arrival would result in a should shrug rather than genuine anticipation for me.

I'm actually in the lafferty in camp, can see your point on age and can definitely see your point about finding another Louis moult, but like you say that is easier said than done. We could be waiting a while. Lafferty will score you goals in this league, I don't actually have a problem with his attitude, does he even have an attitude problem? A bit of of a funny past off the park but he seemed to be well liked at Killie.

We've got an easy demonstratable "come here and get a big move if you're good enough" model now. That combined with the increased TV exposure that you get in the SPFL opposed to the lower English leagues, I hope if there are enough agents out there that look longer term than immediate payday then we could do better than Lafferty.

So far our recruitment/retention has been mostly uninspiring so if he does sign I doubt it would be bucking the trend.

5 hours ago, Kmac said:

Can I ask why we wouldn’t? I’m not a particular fan of signing Lafferty btw however we surely must have room in the budget for that level of spending? Alexander has gone public in saying that we will be bringing in between 7 and 10 players after having released 24. I’ve got no inside knowledge however looking at the public accounts, some deduction would suggest we’ve just removed about 20-25k in weekly wages from released players therefore the money should be there if we are maintaining playing budgets as we have said we will.

I would be happy signing him, I just meant that would be a change from our usual wage structure

5 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

His arrival would result in a shoulder shrug rather than genuine anticipation for me.

I watched both of their playoff games and Lafferty was anonymous for 180 mins he hardly touched the ball, I was all for signing him in January but now  I would avoid him, I would rather we used the money to offer  Cole an enhanced contract it would be better spent.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CoF said:

Would much rather have Cole than Lafferty on the pitch. Would much rather have Cole than Lafferty off the pitch. 

Agree ......but unfortunately Cole doesn’t want to play in Scotland( only came back to us as nobody else wanted him)and his goals scored  will get him a deal in Englandshire he wants.......Long was the same

2 hours ago, eddiemunster said:

Get Kyle Lafferty and his gypsy haircut to fuck.

Great new signing policy , yer haircut has to be approved by EM before talks can procced.

11 hours ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Adding penalties to his tally has to be tempered too, what’s important here if he was instrumental in them being won rather than slotting them away.

Brings him down to a mere 6 in 8 league appearances.  Bare in mind Long scored 4 in 19 starts and Watt scored 3 in 28.

According to Who Scored.com he was Kilmarnock's best player in 5 out of the 8 matches.

11 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Before his purple patch with Killie (bolstered by hat-trick vs Stenhousemuir) he has scored 10 goals in 62 games.

All his league goals were against bottom 6 teams so zero evidence he can play against a good side. For example his hat-trick against Utd came in the midweek before their cup tie. Utd had rested most of their team.

All his league goals were against bottom 6 teams because with the exception of a sub appearance (his debut) against Aberdeen all the teams he played against were bottom 6.

Even if you exclude his first spell at Rangers he's still scored 25 goals in 65 appearances.

As for his record outside Scotland, he's often played as a left winger rather than a centre forward

If Cole doesn't sign up for next season, we will need to find someone who can supply goals. When we had our poor start to the season just ended, it was the lack of goals that really hurt us. We created chances but didn't take them. Even three or four more goals at that stage of the season and we might have been looking at a top six finish. Is Lafferty the player to provide those goals? I think he is possibly more likely than some of the other options. Watt is great for us, but is not a scorer, Shields is unproven at our level, goals from midfield currently look unlikely and Moult is currently pie in the sky thinking and a gamble given his recent history of injury. The truth is that Lafferty is also a gamble. His career is one of highs and lows, and he is due another low. Perhaps he has realised that he isn't getting any younger and this might have improved his attitude, but you would imagine he would take up a fair proportion of our budget if he did sign. Right now, I would rather see us throw a bit of that cash at Cole, to see if we could get him to sign for another couple of years,with a view to moving him on next summer, to the benefit of both parties.

When Lafferty is in the Scottish top flight he scores goals (mainly at Fir Park).  That's basically the end of discussion for me, if he's affordable and keen it's a no brainer to get him in.

We already have a young sellable asset  upfront as well in Shields, it's not like we'd be filling every position with 34 year olds on one term deals.

6 hours ago, The African said:

Right now, I would rather see us throw a bit of that cash at Cole, to see if we could get him to sign for another couple of years,with a view to moving him on next summer, to the benefit of both parties.

Cole's goal scoring was much improved under GA. I don't think his all round game is that impressive- hence him playing for us.

What I don't believe works is when players and their families don't want to be living in Scotland. Long was a good example of his family still being down South and he living up here.  It didn't work.

50 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Cole's goal scoring was much improved under GA. I don't think his all round game is that impressive- hence him playing for us.

What I don't believe works is when players and their families don't want to be living in Scotland. Long was a good example of his family still being down South and he living up here.  It didn't work.

Not disagreeing on any of the points you make. I certainly think that Cole is improving and may continue to do so with, which is a positive for both parties.  If he really doesn't want to be here though, then it won't work.

I have an idea let's just get someone brand new in someone fresh and let's see if the new scouting network is decent.Lafferty is a hit and miss don't think GA would put up with any of his nonsense more than likely be out the door in January.

We have a the man stay of the squad players so I am thinking GA will want to bring in 6-7 more money earners than just fill the team with dross taking up a wage again.

12 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Agree ......but unfortunately Cole doesn’t want to play in Scotland( only came back to us as nobody else wanted him)and his goals scored  will get him a deal in Englandshire he wants.......Long was the same

Did we actually want Long to stay? I assumed we didn't offer him a new deal. 

23 hours ago, 1991 said:

The whole lafferty situation is a no brainer for me, he scored loads of goals in a poor team last season, i think alot of fans dislike him due to his history with Rangers but say it was a player who hadnt played with Rangers/Hearts with figures like he had we would all be delighted. I will be happy IF we sign him, guaranteed to score goals and is an improvement on who left the squad. 

if ga is signing players of " character", he wont touch Lafferty. As I've said before hes one of the most frequent divers and one of the worst at it. Refs are wise to him.

Years on I still cringe at the " mulgrew" incident  and some if his other off field stuff is questionable.

Let's show a bit if imagination and go for something a bit different. Kiltie or Burke from Killie??

Sounds like he was on good money at killie,  now he's having a pop at them.

• David locked this topic