2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

23 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

cheers OTF, glad that we are an option at least, much better offers on the table I am sure. Hopefully the affiliation with the club goes in our favour.

Best guess would be the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen and Dundee United. Hibs, if they sell Nisbet would be a possibility. A fit Moult would improve all those teams. And that's the thing. Is he fit? How much are clubs willing to gamble? 

I would imagine we’re in a pretty reasonably position if it’s a choice between Scottish clubs. If he’d  stayed fit we could get nowhere near a big city club in wages but I don t see them offering a fortune after 18 months out.

6 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Moult too Morecambe? Surely with the money made from promotion they will be able to afford his wages?

They seem to like to run on small budgets there, but probably.

9 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

Moult too Morecambe? Surely with the money made from promotion they will be able to afford his wages?

Depends if he wants to play for Morecambe I guess. 

3 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I would imagine we’re in a pretty reasonably position if it’s a choice between Scottish clubs. If he’d  stayed fit we could get nowhere near a big city club in wages but I don t see them offering a fortune after 18 months out.

I'd imagine that main competitors would be the likes of Kilmarnock, Ross County, St Mirren, and certainly Dundee. I wouldn't think bigger clubs would be willing to take the risk. Probably doesn't even fit the St Johnstone profile. Pure speculation on my part though and I may be totally wrong.

29 minutes ago, Ped_MFC said:

One year extension for Scott Fox reports the official Club site.

Thats a strange one. It kinda suggests that Carson and another first choice keeper won't both be in the squad. Goalkeeping situation is still unclear.

38 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'd imagine that main competitors would be the likes of Kilmarnock, Ross County, St Mirren, and certainly Dundee. I wouldn't think bigger clubs would be willing to take the risk. Probably doesn't even fit the St Johnstone profile. Pure speculation on my part though and I may be totally wrong.

I would be pretty hopeful if it’s other Premiership sides of a similar size of it going in our favour. Watching the interview of him he’s clearly attached to the club and I’m struggling to see how those other clubs would blow us out of the water on wages. I think st Mirren are now pretty covered up front and Killy are now down in the championship. Ross County ? Maybe but a long shot, Livi I doubt given their budget. Dundee would be a worry though.

Moult is a Championship level striker who is nearing full fitness again (remember he made the bench for Preston a couple of times), the "other options" will absolutely be top six sides and there's no chance he'll end up at a Dundee, Ross County or St Johnstone.

It would be extremely painful to see Louis Moult score against us.

10 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Moult is a Championship level striker who is nearing full fitness again (remember he made the bench for Preston a couple of times), the "other options" will absolutely be top six sides and there's no chance he'll end up at a Dundee, Ross County or St Johnstone.

Not seeing that, landscape has changed somewhat.

1 hour ago, C&A not the shop said:

I assume with Fox coming back the club is confident that Carson will be fit and stay fit.

I just don't know. As we know, there were rumours that we wanted Liam Kelly back. GA has said that he wants players capable of playing 40 or 50 games a season. Does Trevor fit that bill? Time will tell who the boss wants as his No 1.

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Not seeing that, landscape has changed somewhat.

Staying in England then?

To be honest, I'd rather he stayed down South. There are four possibilities if he returns to Scotland. He comes to us and is as good as before. He comes to us and disappoints. He goes to another SPL club and is as good as before.  He goes to another SPL club and disappoints. Possibilities 2, 3  and 4 would be painful to watch...

9 hours ago, GazzyB said:

The problem is he’s not played a game in 18 months and his record at PNE was nothing special before that. He could just as easily break down again when things get going. Personally I would think he will struggle to remain in the championship.

13 hours ago, Ped_MFC said:

One year extension for Scott Fox reports the official Club site.

for a club who want a smaller squad some of our resignings have been uninspiring. (Fox, Carrol, Muguabi, Crawford - not sold any of these are auto picks for starting 11)

Couple this with GA signing Lawless until end of 21/22 season.

If these players weren't good enough to get a starting place last season we should let them go and look to replace with players who are likely to start.

You have to remember how many bodies we let go, got rid of, or lost at the end of the season. A bit of continuity can't be a bad thing, especially for the premier sports cup group stages, having players who know what Alexander want's to navigate early banana skins could prove quite sensible. Fox will be there as back up, nothing more. Carroll, Mugabi and Crawford will do a job, we know what we are getting from them, might not be the most inspiring signings for fans, mainly because we would much rather see new faces regardless of how good they are on most occasions but they will be good guys to have around the place. 

even with these guys signing on and GA looking at between 7-10 new faces, it still leaves a smaller squad so I wouldn't look too much into it, I guess with Crawford and Mugabi signing on, it gives Cornelius and Devine a chance to go and play every week out on loan, saying that we may have bigger plans for both.

2 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

You have to remember how many bodies we let go, got rid of, or lost at the end of the season. A bit of continuity can't be a bad thing, especially for the premier sports cup group stages, having players who know what Alexander want's to navigate early banana skins could prove quite sensible. Fox will be there as back up, nothing more. Carroll, Mugabi and Crawford will do a job, we know what we are getting from them, might not be the most inspiring signings for fans, mainly because we would much rather see new faces regardless of how good they are on most occasions but they will be good guys to have around the place.

Some truth there about the benefits of continuity. I'd love inspiring signings, but solid Premiership citizens will do me just fine. No spark or flair, just a good work ethic and few mistakes. Thats my benchmark, but hopefully we can aspire to better. The problem is that I don't even see Crawford and Mugabi as being at that level.   If that standard is good enough for St Johnstone it'll do me just fine.

10 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Some truth there about the benefits of continuity. I'd love inspiring signings, but solid Premiership citizens will do me just fine. No spark or flair, just a good work ethic and few mistakes. Thats my benchmark, but hopefully we can aspire to better. The problem is that I don't even see Crawford and Mugabi as being at that level.   If that standard is good enough for St Johnstone it'll do me just fine.

The problem is there's no solid Premiership players left.

They've all signed for St Mirren.

• Like 2

Crawford ,Mugabi and Lamie have been different players since GA has come into the club think they have proved they are decent enough no worse than what alot of teams have.

I like the GA approach seems to have cleaned house a bit with the scouting aswell.Polworth was being a dick kicked him too touch I like his style no nonsense.

A good manager will get the best out of a bad player I think the way the management goes about it is spot on.

4 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

i'm very much on the same wavelength with you here, I think players with a strong work ethic go down well amongst our support, most will forgive a lack of skill with players that leave it all on the park.

Crawford and Mugabi are kind of in the middle for me, Personally I think they are fine, however I can 100%  see why others may not. Mugabi has a wild moment in him however if you ask him to defend he does so well enough, very athletic and good in the air. Crawford much the same just in midfield, he does the nitty gritty side of it well, and again if you ask him to keep it simple, he is solid enough. 

The signing we make to accompany these types is where our final league position will be decided.

• David locked this topic