2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

39 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

that's Devante Cole off to Barnsley, good move for him, another good advert for us, they missed out on the prem only by the play offs. 

Moult or Lafferty need announced pronto !!

Hi, a Barnsley fan here.

Sorry we nicked your striker.

I've got serious reservations about whether he is up to English Championship level.

What is he good at, please? What are his weaknesses? When we had him on loan - he was only a kid, true - he had issues arriving on time for training. Has that been a problem for him at Motherwell?

Good luck, and thanks in advance for any replies you give!

Cole has definitely improved as a player and i would have liked him to have stayed but strangely at the same time I'm not overly fussed he's away,without his goals last season we would have been in real bother so far that i wish him well and hope this move works out for him.

• Like 1

I would have liked him to stay and improve the guy needs regular games and a bit of stability however I'm afraid he's a football nomad who without a starting place which i doubt he will get at Barnsley will drift into obscurity.  Taking more money now and nothing wrong with that over his career IMO

That statement is doing a disservice to him as a player, his ambition and what potential he has. Didn't see anyone saying James Scott couldn't cut it at Hull. To suggest staying here over a team at the top of the Championship may have been a valid shout in 1995 but not today.

I'm sure he weighed up the significant upping in standard, the wage increase, the proximity to where he grew up/family over mid table mediocrity here in a league where you won't win it and you're limited to hoping for a decent (and fortuitous) cup run.

• Like 1

It’s a great move for him, Championship football down south is a good level above the Scottish Premiership. He’s even more in the shop window and will probably be earning three times what he would here. He’s at that age now that he needed a good move and he appears to have got it.

40 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

It’s a great move for him, Championship football down south is a good level above the Scottish Premiership. He’s even more in the shop window and will probably be earning three times what he would here. He’s at that age now that he needed a good move and he appears to have got it.

The top of the Championship is very competitive as the newly relegated teams are wallowing in the massive parachute payments they receive. The bottom half is a bit more variable in quality as some of the teams like Ipswich and Sunderland found themselves passing through to lower divisions as their form dropped off a cliff.

Barnsley were  in the mix for promotion last season, so definitely a good move for him. You can't criticise a player for backing himself to succeed.

I'm always a believer in the philosophy that there are more good players out there than there are available first team starting slots. So now it's up to the management/coaching staff to find the next one.

17 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I just don't know. As we know, there were rumours that we wanted Liam Kelly back. GA has said that he wants players capable of playing 40 or 50 games a season. Does Trevor fit that bill? Time will tell who the boss wants as his No 1.

I think we have four goalkeepers contracted at the club right now.  Can't see us bringing in a fifth but I might be wrong.  I suppose we could send some of the younger lads on loan again but if we are going with a smaller squad I think there are other positions that are more pressing.....provided Carson is fit.

I don't wish Devante Cole any ill will at his decision to move on, but I can't help but be concerned at the loss of another our better players. 

That's a spine of a team in Kelly, Gallagher, Campbell and Cole all gone.  Under normal circumstances that would be a challenge in itself, but with a new manager going into his first close season alongside a new head of recruitment to me that challenge is only magnified.  It is of course early in June and the "seven to nine" signings line has mentioned more than once but the apprehension that began to form with the renewals towards the back end of last season hasn't exactly eased since.

On 6/6/2021 at 8:25 PM, Goggles & Flippers said:

Wasn’t there some unwarranted bitching at the time of administration (Greg Strong) or was it legimate?

Eddie Forrest bitched long and hard.  Maybe he had a point but considering he was absolutely woeful and should have been dumped anyway on a footballing basis, maybe not.

Issue here is Andy all of them in theory we can't compete with and outwith our hands.

Kelly is contracted to QPR, Cole to a team that just missed out on the Premier League, Campbell wishing to get a decent payday after seeing many of his colleagues from the youth setup move on for decent wedge despite the fact he was one of the most talented.

The only one you cite is the centre half, who should have been on the books this summer and a move would have resulted in cash to spend elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Issue here is Andy all of them in theory we can't compete with and outwith our hands.

Kelly is contracted to QPR, Cole to a team that just missed out on the Premier League, Campbell wishing to get a decent payday after seeing many of his colleagues from the youth setup move on for decent wedge despite the fact he was one of the most talented.

The only one you cite is the centre half, who should have been on the books this summer and a move would have resulted in cash to spend elsewhere.

I'm not suggesting there's been a failing.  I'm just concerned at the increasing scale of the rebuild that is required and the lack of a remaining core around with which to formulate a team; and the as yet unproven ability of those charged with undertaking it.

11 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

That's a spine of a team in Kelly, Gallagher, Campbell and Cole all gone. 

If you have an old spine you don't need any more please contact......

Graham Alexander

Fir Park Stadium

Fir Park Street

Motherwell

ML1 0NO!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If you have an old spine you don't need any more please contact......

Graham Alexander

Fir Park Stadium

Fir Park Street

Motherwell

ML1 0NO!

Maybe folk would like us going for likes of Curtis Main... vast majority of players we will be looking at wont commit to us until the very last minute as any offer we make are unlikely to have decent player knocking the door down to sign.  

I have confidence in GA and Chris Lucketti's knowledge and contacts to find a few gems here. Bear in mind the club's performance dept (regardless of manager) keep tabs on certain players using stats software and just from seeing them perform. Emphasis will be placed on identified players on how they will adapt to the managers prefered system and style of play. Some high up the list for Robinson may be way down for Alexander. However I'll temper that statement with its probably how we acquired Lawless and gave him 18 months on the books.

The only thing that I think puts a spanner in works is GA's stock must be pretty high. Salford promoted and then he was pumped out when seemingly doing OK, 3rd best record in the SPFL since he took over only behind the OF.

Therefore if he has been tapped or will be before deadline day he may keep some players to himself to take elsewhere (depending on the level).

Or we have a core of Carson, O'Donnel and Watt who have been at the club at least a year and are all international players with plenty of experience in the SPL alongside solid SPL performers like O'Hara(192 spl games), Lamie (78 spl games), Crawford (43 spl games) who have all been here a year so will help with the transition. 

It's not ideal but it's not the worst position we've been in.

6 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I have confidence in GA and Chris Lucketti's knowledge and contacts to find a few gems here.

The only thing that I think puts a spanner in works is GA's stock must be pretty high. Salford promoted and them pumped when seemingly doing OK, 3rd best record in the SPFL since he took over only behind the OF.

Therefore if he has been tapped or will be before deadline day he may keep some players to himself to take elsewhere (depending on the level).

of course Money talks, but having just moved his family up into Scotland you would think it would take some offer to undo all that.

13 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Or we have a core of Carson, O'Donnel and Watt who have been at the club at least a year and are all international players with plenty of experience in the SPL alongside solid SPL performers like O'Hara(192 spl games), Lamie (78 spl games), Crawford (43 spl games) who have all been here a year so will help with the transition. 

It's not ideal but it's not the worst position we've been in.

That's true, there are certainly two or three more senior pros still around, albeit not of the longevity and nor deep rooted attachment to the club such as the Hammell or Lasley ilk that I kind of had in mind when I posted earlier but you're right there remains several with a measure of experience of the league, even if perhaps I'm not personally set on their regular inclusion in the team.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic