2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

Crewe Alexandra have signed forward Chris Long from Scottish Premiership club Motherwell on a free transfer.

He has agreed a two-year deal and is Crewe's first signing since finishing 12th in League One in 2020-21.

The 26-year-old scored six goals in 35 appearances for Motherwell last season, having joined them from Blackpool in the summer of 2019.

"As soon as I heard of the interest I felt this was the right move for me," Long told the Crewe website.

Long began his career as a trainee with Everton and has also played for Burnley and Fleetwood, as well as having loan spells with four other teams.

Regarding our new striker Connor Shield, I was talking to a guy who played along side him a few years back and he says he’s as fast as fuck and knows where the goals are. He expects him to get us a right few goals and that we will sell him on for a good few quid. 

hope to fuck that he’s right but it does give me a bit more hope for next season that we might have a goal scorer at last. 

34 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Regarding our new striker Connor Shield, I was talking to a guy who played along side him a few years back and he says he’s as fast as fuck and knows where the goals are. He expects him to get us a right few goals and that we will sell him on for a good few quid. 

hope to fuck that he’s right but it does give me a bit more hope for next season that we might have a goal scorer at last. 

12 goals and 7 assists not enough in the top division in Scotland for a goalscorer?

Positive signing yes, let’s see if he’s capable of the step up...

35 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

it does give me a bit more hope for next season that we might have a goal scorer at last. 

I hope so too, but he's going to need plenty of ammunition from midfield and the wide areas. 

1 hour ago, alanos said:

Crewe Alexandra have signed forward Chris Long from Scottish Premiership club Motherwell on a free transfer.

He has agreed a two-year deal and is Crewe's first signing since finishing 12th in League One in 2020-21.

The 26-year-old scored six goals in 35 appearances for Motherwell last season, having joined them from Blackpool in the summer of 2019.

"As soon as I heard of the interest I felt this was the right move for me," Long told the Crewe website.

Long began his career as a trainee with Everton and has also played for Burnley and Fleetwood, as well as having loan spells with four other teams.

Hope something straightens his sour puss.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, middleeastdave said:

Can we add Greg Stewart just released by Rangers

Greg Stewart had one good (half) season at Kilmarnock and hasn't done much more recently.  Struggled badly at Aberdeen and hasn't really played at Rangers.

It's kind of a risky one.  He might do a job for us but I don't think you can say that it's nailed on.

4 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Disappointing Cole won't be here next season but a no brainer from his point of view.

A 3 year deal apparently,  so financially and football wise as you say a no brainer, good luck to him, hope he does well.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Greg Stewart had one good (half) season at Kilmarnock and hasn't done much more recently.  Struggled badly at Aberdeen and hasn't really played at Rangers.

It's kind of a risky one.  He might do a job for us but I don't think you can say that it's nailed on.

more likely to move to Dundee where he had a good spell previously.  Someone who did well in lower leagues but struggled with SPL teams - hopefully not someone we want to bring in. 

In reality, we are in the same place with  Cole leaving as before.

Realistically, we need 9 bodies in, 6 of which need to be nailed on starters of quality. 
With Cole leaving, I cannot help but feel that we must have about 25 grand per week in playing budget to allocate, therefore it should easily be possible to piece together the required squad to compete in the top 6 with that kind of cash to allocate. 

At the moment, we’re still looking at a team/squad of:

———————————GK

O’Donnell——CD—CD—Mcginley/Carroll

—————————-CM

————--—-CM—————O’Hara/A.N. Other

——-Shields———CF———-Watt

SUBS:

Fox

Carson 

Mugabe

Lamie 

Carroll

Donnelly

lawleff

Maguire

Winger

Crawford

ST

ST

3 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Hope something straightens his sour puss.

Maybe it's just me, but how often a striker smiles is at the bottom of the criteria I use to assess their ability.

1 hour ago, Kmac said:

In reality, we are in the same place with  Cole leaving as before.

Realistically, we need 9 bodies in, 6 of which need to be nailed on starters of quality. 
With Cole leaving, I cannot help but feel that we must have about 25 grand per week in playing budget to allocate, therefore it should easily be possible to piece together the required squad to compete in the top 6 with that kind of cash to allocate. 

At the moment, we’re still looking at a team/squad of:

———————————GK

O’Donnell——CD—CD—Mcginley/Carroll

—————————-CM

————--—-CM—————O’Hara/A.N. Other

——-Shields———CF———-Watt

SUBS:

Fox

Carson 

Mugabe

Lamie 

Carroll

Donnelly

lawleff

Maguire

Winger

Crawford

ST

ST

I can't help but think one of Lamie/Mugabi will start a lot and one of Crawf/Maguire/Donnelly too. 

56 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Here we go again......

You have had a bee in your bonnet re Alexander since pretty much the day he walked thru the door. 

Did he piss on your chips ? 

Here we go again? Bore off.

Read what I replied to? Having just moved his family up into Scotland you would think it would take some offer to undo all that. Just an opinion that I wouldn’t be too sure. Likely profit on property purchase for starters.

I’ve only been consistent in approach, fuck all to do with pissing on chips - there’s plenty to back that up without having to dig very deep.

Certainly with the spine of the team currently gone, it’s a blank canvas for him and his team and as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, hoping recruitment is creative and catches the imagination where the re-hiring has not. Connor Shields a positive start.

1 hour ago, superward said:

I can't help but think one of Lamie/Mugabi will start a lot and one of Crawf/Maguire/Donnelly too. 

Lamie has more or less been a starter every week since Alexander came in (only missed a few at the very beginning and then played 14 league matches on the trot to the end of the season) so it wouldn't be a shock if he's a starter next term.

Donnelly was also more or less a starter every week before his injury, although it was with a different manager, but I think he'll be in too.

2 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Daily Record reporting Louis Moult will sign for Burton Albion.

I didn't think bringing louis back was ever really on the cards,he's made enough of a name for himself that getting a club in england was always a certainty,it's still a wee bit gutting seeing him sign for someone else though but i really hope he can stay clear of injury and it works out for him there.

7 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Read what I replied to? Having just moved his family up into Scotland you would think it would take some offer to undo all that. Just an opinion that I wouldn’t be too sure. Likely profit on property purchase for starters.

I’ve only been consistent in approach, fuck all to do with pissing on chips - there’s plenty to back that up without having to dig very deep.

Certainly with the spine of the team currently gone, it’s a blank canvas for him and his team and as I’ve mentioned elsewhere, hoping recruitment is creative and catches the imagination where the re-hiring has not. Connor Shields a positive start.

The problem here is you come across as a man with inside knowledge. That is clear to everyone on here and you do nothing to dissuade that notion. 

So a by product of that is that what you post carries more weight (imho) and an assumption of factual background. 

Of course he would go if approached by a bigger club and we received compensation. That is an everyday occurrence for successful Managers so hardly news. My reading of your response is that GA is already agitating to leave.  That may well be the case if he struggles to get any of his targets or realises just how tough it is to attract decent players to Motherwell. 

I maybe over reacted.  However I have called you out on your riddles before as they tell us nothing but leave us guessing. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

The problem here is you come across as a man with inside knowledge. That is clear to everyone on here and you do nothing to dissuade that notion. 

So a by product of that is that what you post carries more weight (imho) and an assumption of factual background. 

Of course he would go if approached by a bigger club and we received compensation. That is an everyday occurrence for successful Managers so hardly news. My reading of your response is that GA is already agitating to leave.  That may well be the case if he struggles to get any of his targets or realises just how tough it is to attract decent players to Motherwell. 

I maybe over reacted.  However I have called you out on your riddles before as they tell us nothing but leave us guessing. 

Again, make no apologies for posting style, fewer on here with issue than not yet, clamour for any titbits... You do know the definition of a riddle?

9 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

but did he piss on your chips??

• David locked this topic