2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

You realise you have increased the number of Google searches into the Maltese national squad from the ML1 area exponentially? I haven't looked but I'm sure some will. 

The signing of Amaluzor has caused a bit of consternation on here. That's the market we're shopping in. The talk of a smaller squad with higher average salaries is naive, given the injuries we had last season. Am I enthused by the signing of a winger from National League South? Not particularly but I'm not sure he'll be a nailed on starter, possibly a plan B? Perhaps the reason I'm not as vexed as some on here is that he's already been training with us. We've not simply judged him on his performances at that level but had a look at him in the context of our squad. 

Which kind of brings me to you pointing out we have a few trialists in at the moment. Trialists can often be seen as a negative but going forward, it may be something we rely upon more heavily. If you accept that pretty much every signing we make is going to be a gamble to some degree, a way to improve your odds is to see them in training up against the players you already have and also how they interact with the rest of the squad. 

We might need to get used to a large proportion of our future signings being trialists...

Can I ask in what way talk of higher salaries is naive? 

1. We have been open about maintaining playing budgets from last season 
  2. We released/had leave 25 players from the first team squad 
  3. Alexander went public with saying he wanted a smaller squad an aimed to bring in 7-10 players (we have already brought in 2). 
  4. That leaves between 5-8 players still to arrive who will be sharing the salaries of 23 players between them (if indeed we are maintaining playing budgets.

30 minutes ago, Mio Krivokapic said:

Played  a couple of games at Salford City when Alexander was manager

According to Soccerbase…….has only played 10 games…….one being an international………interesting 

07/10/20FRIMalta2 - 0GibraltarYC.png

View events22/04/19CHABlackburn Rovers2 - 0Bolton WanderersView events

09/02/19NALBraintree Town1 - 0Salford CityView events

05/02/19FATSalford City1 - 1Maidstone United

View events26/01/19NALHalifax Town0 - 0Salford CityYC.png

19/01/19NALSalford City1 - 1GatesheadView events

12/01/19FATSalford City2 - 0Dagenham & Redbridge

View events13/03/17PL2Tottenham Hotspur U234 - 0Reading U23View events

03/03/17PL2Arsenal U232 - 0Tottenham Hotspur U23View events20

20/02/17PL2Tottenham Hotspur U231 - 0Sunderland U23View events

14 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Can I ask in what way talk of higher salaries is naive? 

1. We have been open about maintaining playing budgets from last season 
  2. We released/had leave 25 players from the first team squad 
  3. Alexander went public with saying he wanted a smaller squad an aimed to bring in 7-10 players (we have already brought in 2). 
  4. That leaves between 5-8 players still to arrive who will be sharing the salaries of 23 players between them (if indeed we are maintaining playing budgets.

It naive as your amateur mathematics don’t stack up…

Maintaining player budget may or may not cover the expenditure in January. These figures will be offered to club shareholders soon enough.

25 players? Lots of natural wasteage from our development programme with negligible costs given salary levels. Nor do you know what percentages we were paying in loan fees/wages contributions. Doesn’t automatically offer bigger percentages to those we may/may not recruit.

Sharing 23 salaries is a fallacy. Do you think those we re-hired signed on for nothing?

Time will tell who/how many we bring in. Just hope our new Head of Recruitment is looking beyond his previous employment & former charges.

Sources: Motherwell agree to sign Woolery from Tranmere

22nd Jun, 2021 | 3:02pm
Medical Booked: Motherwell agree to sign Tranmere Rovers striker - Sources

Motherwell have agreed a deal to sign Tranmere Rovers striker Kaiyne Woolery, Football Insider can reveal.

The Scottish Premiership club have swooped for the 26-year-old ahead of his contract expiring at the end of this month.

James: I look after Jude in England...

A recruitment source has told Football Insider that Woolery has been pencilled in for a medical at Motherwell as he completes a free transfer.

The forward helped Tranmere reach the League Two play-offs in the 2020-21 campaign. 

He contributed 11 goals and three assists in 52 appearances over the course of the season but Rovers ultimately fell short of promotion. 

Born in London, Woolery has spent the majority of his professional career at Swindon Town. 

The Robins signed him from Wigan Athletic for a fee in the region of £350,000 in August 2017. 

Woolery contributed 14 goals and 14 assists in 111 appearances for the club before leaving on a free to join Tranmere last September. 

The versatile forward, who can play anywhere across the front line, has also spent time at Bolton Wanderers, Notts County and Forest Green Rovers.

Motherwell boss Graham Alexander knows of Woolery from his time managing in the English lower leagues with Fleetwood Town, Scunthorpe and Salford City. 

Woolery will become the third arrival of the summer at Fir Park after Connor Shields and Justin Amaluzor.

Alexander has lost Chris Long and Devante Cole to Crewe Alexandra and Barnsley respectively this summer.

He will hope Woolery can help fill the void left by the forwards who scored a combined 18 goals last season.

24 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Sources: Motherwell agree to sign Woolery from Tranmere

22nd Jun, 2021 | 3:02pm
Medical Booked: Motherwell agree to sign Tranmere Rovers striker - Sources

Motherwell have agreed a deal to sign Tranmere Rovers striker Kaiyne Woolery, Football Insider can reveal.

The Scottish Premiership club have swooped for the 26-year-old ahead of his contract expiring at the end of this month.

James: I look after Jude in England...

A recruitment source has told Football Insider that Woolery has been pencilled in for a medical at Motherwell as he completes a free transfer.

The forward helped Tranmere reach the League Two play-offs in the 2020-21 campaign. 

He contributed 11 goals and three assists in 52 appearances over the course of the season but Rovers ultimately fell short of promotion. 

Born in London, Woolery has spent the majority of his professional career at Swindon Town. 

The Robins signed him from Wigan Athletic for a fee in the region of £350,000 in August 2017. 

Woolery contributed 14 goals and 14 assists in 111 appearances for the club before leaving on a free to join Tranmere last September. 

The versatile forward, who can play anywhere across the front line, has also spent time at Bolton Wanderers, Notts County and Forest Green Rovers.

Motherwell boss Graham Alexander knows of Woolery from his time managing in the English lower leagues with Fleetwood Town, Scunthorpe and Salford City. 

Woolery will become the third arrival of the summer at Fir Park after Connor Shields and Justin Amaluzor.

Alexander has lost Chris Long and Devante Cole to Crewe Alexandra and Barnsley respectively this summer.

He will hope Woolery can help fill the void left by the forwards who scored a combined 18 goals last season.

He’s one of the others on trial along with another ex Spurs younster Shayon Harrison. 

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

You realise you have increased the number of Google searches into the Maltese national squad from the ML1 area exponentially? I haven't looked but I'm sure some will. 

The signing of Amaluzor has caused a bit of consternation on here. That's the market we're shopping in. The talk of a smaller squad with higher average salaries is naive, given the injuries we had last season. Am I enthused by the signing of a winger from National League South? Not particularly but I'm not sure he'll be a nailed on starter, possibly a plan B? Perhaps the reason I'm not as vexed as some on here is that he's already been training with us. We've not simply judged him on his performances at that level but had a look at him in the context of our squad. 

Which kind of brings me to you pointing out we have a few trialists in at the moment. Trialists can often be seen as a negative but going forward, it may be something we rely upon more heavily. If you accept that pretty much every signing we make is going to be a gamble to some degree, a way to improve your odds is to see them in training up against the players you already have and also how they interact with the rest of the squad. 

We might need to get used to a large proportion of our future signings being trialists...

He's also played in closed door games against Hearts and looked ok.

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

It naive as your amateur mathematics don’t stack up…

Thanks…

I’ll flick through those economics books from my many Uni years and see if I can’t get to grips with simple deduction again.

:good:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Interesting to see that Amaluzor has signed a 1 year deal but Woolery on a 3 year deal. Woolery does seem to have more experience, but I wonder if this sort of separates the two between the "he'll come good and we can sell him on" and the "total punt, we'll make a call at Christmas" categories.

59 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Thanks…

I’ll flick through those economics books from my many Uni years and see if I can’t get to grips with simple deduction again.

:good:

It’s not difficult, but, seems to have you at a loss. Hardly a good advert for your further education then.

1 hour ago, Stu92 said:

Interesting to see that Amaluzor has signed a 1 year deal but Woolery on a 3 year deal. Woolery does seem to have more experience, but I wonder if this sort of separates the two between the "he'll come good and we can sell him on" and the "total punt, we'll make a call at Christmas" categories.

Its a tricky choice those kind of punt players. Once we know he is good then so do all the other teams which makes it harder to keep him. 

15 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Bore off. Point out where I’m in the wrong? If it’s as simplistic as you make out, Burrows should be fearing for his job or creating a space for you in the boardroom.

I never said you were wrong. You insinuated I was wrong and I agreed and knelt before your great knowledge. Have a good evening! 

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Do we think there's any chance we are announcing these as 3 year deals, but they're actually "two years with the club having the option of a 3rd", relevant to the Gallagher situation?

Given how well that worked out for us I doubt it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• David locked this topic