2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

I'll believe it when I see the official announcement, but I always said that the players voting him as Players' Player  of the Year was a masterstroke if we were hoping he'd come back.

Regarding the standard of the English Leagues, I've watched a lot of them in the past couple of seasons (thanks to EPSN+ subscription) and they really are a mixed bag. There are teams in the Championship of EPL quality thanks to parachute payments and rich owners. And at the bottom of the Championship there have been teams like Leeds, Sunderland and Ipswich on a long decline that just kept dropping.

Likewise in League One and League Two. A mixture of ambitious owners bankrolling teams for Championship and EPL glory, and nosediving ex-EPL teams that have imploded.

Budget-wise we'd struggle to match the GA's old employers at Salford, but there are plenty of teams in League Two and League One we'd be ahead of. And the worst teams in the Championship the last couple of seasons would struggle in our Premiership.

As for Baraclough, I don't think I've ever met an Englishman that didn't overrate English football or underrate Scottish football. Just like when they thought Henrik Larsson wasn't that good because he was only scoring against Scottish teams (then he won the Champions League at Barca). Same for Van Dijk who suddenly became "the best central defender in the world".

(Of course you could argue we overrate our domestic game, but with guys like Doncaster in charge, someone needs to give it some credit).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gdalli10 said:

Aye Liam Kelly would be a fantastic bit of business. 

Without doubt. 
It will Leave us needing an experienced centre half and 2 central midfielders (also with quality) and potentially the outlook for the season changes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kmac said:

Without doubt. 
It will Leave us needing an experienced centre half and 2 central midfielders (also with quality) and potentially the outlook for the season changes.

I'll believe the Liam kelly rumour when he's signed.

Agree though that we need another central defender, if not 2,  and 2 midfielders, including a creative one, which we badly lacked last term.  Liam Donnelly might be ok in the holding/defensive  role, time will tell, but we also a decent box to box all rounder in the Gorrin style (minus the yellow cards of course)..   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'll believe the Liam kelly rumour when he's signed.

Agree though that we need another central defender, if not 2,  and 2 midfielders, including a creative one, which we badly lacked last term.  Liam Donnelly might be ok in the holding/defensive  role, time will tell, but we also need a decent box to box all rounder in the Gorrin style (minus the yellow cards of course).  

I agree:  I liked Gorrin but didn't get the impression he was very popular at the time with The Brethren and I don't think he played all that many games for us in the final analysis. He was quite skilful,  could pick a pass and get us up the park but unfortunately his robust and sometimes mis-timed tackling seemed to attract the attentions of the Scottish refereeing class quite disproportionately when compared to that of sensitive and creative Corinthians like Scott Brown.  I've lost track on how he got on at Oxford but suspect he hasn't had as  many bookings.

GA is going to have  quite a job on his hands attracting the right player to Fir Park in these difficult times but getting Kelly on board  would be a morale-booster.

19 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

I agree:  I liked Gorrin but didn't get the impression he was very popular at the time with The Brethren and I don't think he played all that many games for us in the final analysis. He was quite skilful,  could pick a pass and get us up the park but unfortunately his robust and sometimes mis-timed tackling seemed to attract the attentions of the Scottish refereeing class quite disproportionately when compared to that of sensitive and creative Corinthians like Scott Brown.  I've lost track on how he got on at Oxford but suspect he hasn't had as  many bookings.

GA is going to have  quite a job on his hands attracting the right player to Fir Park in these difficult times but getting Kelly on board  would be a morale-booster.

Gorrin was written off pretty quickly by a few for sure which was crazy, you could see the guy had talent. To be fair he was over physical at times and his record down south is no better.

21 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Ah , Scott brown , that paragon of fair play and gentlemanly conduct on and off the field. I wonder how long it will take before he is red carded for Aberdeen when he hasn't got the protection of Celtic minded referees allowing him free reign .  TOTAL PRICK.

• Like 1

What a signing Kelly would be. We'd surely have to pay a 6 figure transfer for him though. Can't mind the last time we did that.

Also a bit gutted Carson will be moving on, purely from a sentimental point of view. The guy was class on his day, and from the outside it looked as if he handled his non-move to Celtic excellently.

14 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

He never kicked a ball due to injury for the first half of the year so you can see why folk took issue.

7 yellows in 20 games for us, 23 in 70 for Oxford. No conspiracy just bad at tackles 

Not all of them were bad tackles.
He could see the bigger picture and if teams were breaking on us he took one for the team on more than one occasion 

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

Not all of them were bad tackles.
He could see the bigger picture and if teams were breaking on us he took one for the team on more than one occasion 

Took one for the team, aka a professional foul so by definition a bad tackle, his discipline record doesn't lie a player booked that often is a liability in a team these days.

As much as I liked Trevor Carson and still rate him I am sure even the club realise that there is a problem fitness wise and probably suits both parties if he moves on.

I also worry about our other long term injured players namely Donnelly and Grimshaw, (even Dunne)whether they will be fully fit for a full season ahead, long term injured players returning tend to take longer to be fit and whether they will be the same player remains to be seen.

12 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

As much as I liked Trevor Carson and still rate him I am sure even the club realise that there is a problem fitness wise and probably suits both parties if he moves on.

I also worry about our other long term injured players namely Donnelly and Grimshaw, (even Dunne)whether they will be fully fit for a full season ahead, long term injured players returning tend to take longer to be fit and whether they will be the same player remains to be seen.

Dunne signed for St Mirren weeks ago

8 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Motherwell has a good record of looking after  injured players out long term, only time and lots of game time will determine if Donnelly and Grimshaw or any player is able to get back to where they were, so they will get their chance when they are ready, hopefully it will work  out for them.

6 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

And played at the weekend

Did he play well?

I was using Dunne as an example of a player being out long term, in my opinion players out long term are never the same player, I am sure there are players that have a long term injuries come back and play well, but I would think the majority struggle to get back to being the same player.

9 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Did he play well?

I was using Dunne as an example of a player being out long term, in my opinion players out long term are never the same player, I am sure there are players that have a long term injuries come back and play well, but I would think the majority struggle to get back to being the same player.

No idea, he played 45 minutes I believe, I would agree that with the problems he’s had there has to be doubts.

6 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

He never kicked a ball due to injury for the first half of the year so you can see why folk took issue.

7 yellows in 20 games for us, 23 in 70 for Oxford. No conspiracy just bad at tackles 

Thanks for those statistics, which show pretty clearly he maintained his "bad boy" tackling ratio ablaw the dyke. 

Given that, I'm a little surprised he's made a decent (and much longer) career for himself at Oxford Utd. Presumably there has been a calculation at the club that his defects in tackling  are outweighed by the other qualities they think he has to offer.

Also, if the lady I saw him signalling to in the POD was his wife/partner, I'm not surprised they keep him hanging around :D.

On 7/2/2021 at 4:15 PM, Onthefringes said:

No need to use your position to be sanctimonious.

Not using my position at all, just posting like anyone else. You seem to have an issue with O'Hara. I'm not the only one who's noticed it. Other members get a little jab when they're seen as being a bit OTT, don't they? 

Take it for what it is. A bit of a ribbing on a football forum. Not all posts are cryptic you know. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, David said:

Not using my position at all, just posting like anyone else. You seem to have an issue with O'Hara. I'm not the only one who's noticed it. Other members get a little jab when they're seen as being a bit OTT, don't they? 

Take it for what it is. A bit of a ribbing on a football forum. Not all posts are cryptic you know. 

Dress it up how you like, you’re fucking boring.

• Haha 3

• David locked this topic