2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

My mate a utd fan and told him if Trev gets back to his best he has won a watch, though only reason we have let him.go is because we have signed LK (no not Lorraine Kelly),  all the best Trev

It’s the risk of further injuries that’s the problem and given that the right move for the club.

That was a bit of a shock carson going to utd,hopefully a change in scene brings a change in his fortunes and he can start playing on a regular basis.he was excellent for us and played his part in getting us to the two cup finals,best of luck to him.

• Like 2

Similar to Tanner it could just be that Carson wants a change of scenery. The memories of his brilliant performances in 17/18 still feel fresh to us as supporters but there's been three years (75% of his spell here) since then where he has had a nightmarish time.

Hopefully he gets back to his best form at Tannadice. He'll get a great reception if we are actually there when he comes back to Fir Park. 

Carson had a great first season but honestly I think his form shaded off after that even before his diagnosis.  Not saying he was a bad keeper but I don't think he matched his first season levels subsequently.

With Kelly in now I think we've improved that position.

Have to assume Siegrist won't be at Dundee Utd much longer.

Personally I think it was a kick in the teeth for Trevor, signing Fox and probably knowing they were after Kelly, I would have preferred Carson competing against Kelly than Fox but I am sure they have their reasons for letting him go ( I got told that Trevor wanted back to the North East of England  but obviously that wasn’t the case)

25 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Similar to Tanner it could just be that Carson wants a change of scenery.

I'm not sure about that comparison. I thought Tanner left as he needed game time and knew he would never get it at the level of Motherwell. The fact he's now playing in the 6th tier in England justifies his decision. Carson on the other hand I think still wants first team games at a decent level - after 3 years on our bench / treatment table I imagine he'll be expecting to be number one at Tannadice. 

6 hours ago, Electric Blues said:

I always forget about you proper ex-pats! 

Leigh Griffiths: Celtic striker sent home from training camp over online messages

The Celtic thread on Pie & Bovril is currently coming along nicely...

Can someone text him to see if hes available for talks , now his Celik career is over. 

52 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Similar to Tanner it could just be that Carson wants a change of scenery. The memories of his brilliant performances in 17/18 still feel fresh to us as supporters but there's been three years (75% of his spell here) since then where he has had a nightmarish time.

Hopefully he gets back to his best form at Tannadice. He'll get a great reception if we are actually there when he comes back to Fir Park. 

Where did you hear Craig wanted a change of scenery? 

52 minutes ago, CoF said:

Carson on the other hand I think still wants first team games at a decent level - after 3 years on our bench / treatment table I imagine he'll be expecting to be number one at Tannadice. 

Agree up to a point, but I think any notion that he may have of being the automatic first pick will have been dispelled and quickly at that.   Trevor has had a helluva of a time and he deserves a bit of good luck. We don't know what his injury outlook is and it maybe that our new management team doesn't want to take risks for this important position.  I did think that he was headed down south for family reasons but I suspect that, understandably at this stage in his career, money talks and he'll be on a decent salary at Tannadice, more than we can afford.  He will also have a chance, no more, of playing first team football.

This move though has taken me by surprise and I'm struggling to understand it. Based on a few rumours and speculation, nothing more concrete than that,  I'm thinking that Liam Kelly was United's first target.  Its no secret that they were in the market for a keeper to challenge Benjamin Siegrist for the No 1 spot; that much is on record. We can't match United for wages. Maybe Kelly was sounded out but, although the wages on offer were extremely attractive, he  wasn't guaranteed a starting spot and didn't fancy sitting on the bench. As I say pure speculation on my part in attempt to make sense of this move.

I've read various articles and interestingly, none mention any money changing hands. I doubt that we'd be difficult deal with but he does have a year left on his contract. If it was the other way round, United would want a fee. However we have a reputation of looking after players and it may be that United have played on our generosity to the player to land him for nought. 

Whatever the case, I wish him all the best. He's had rotten luck and I hope that is now firmly behind him. 

Utd will have signed Carson because Seigrist is sure to be gone. Although, we signed Gillespie because we thought Carson would be gone, and you see how that worked out, so you never know. 

We clearly competed with Utd financially in this case, or they weren't really in for Kelly, as we're sitting with the guy that we wanted, and they have our second choice keeper.

I doubt any other team would have asked for a fee for Carson in this situation, we've just signed his replacement and deemed him surplus to requirements, so we needed his wage off the books. Kind of similar to Kelly with QPR.

I thought Carson was an excellent keeper for us, and would have been happy with him as number 1 this year, but knee injuries are scary. I hope his run of bad luck has come to an end, as he still has a good few years ahead of him if he stays fit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Utd will have signed Carson because Seigrist is sure to be gone. Although, we signed Gillespie because we thought Carson would be gone, and you see how that worked out, so you never know.

You might be right, who knows. Its interesting though that, with his injury/illness problems, United were prepared to offer him a good deal, with the chance of first team football whereas we preferred to bring in a new number one.  if Siegrist does move on, they'll be looking for another pretty good stopper. 

9 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

You might be right, who knows. Its interesting though that, with his injury/illness problems, United were prepared to offer him a good deal, with the chance of first team football whereas we preferred to bring in a new number one.  if Siegrist does move on, they'll be looking for another pretty good stopper. 

For me Kelly is a better keeper Dave , so when it became  apparent that QPR were willing to let him go , we had to go for him., which meant Carson had to go.

It was the sensible option, as if we had not we would have  been left with 2 main keepers just back from long term injury and the uncertainty that brings re long term fitness not an ideal way to start the season. 

I hope Carson has fully recovered and does well at Tannadice, but  I'm  glad we have an excellent replacement ready to go.

31 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Really Really Really hope that Carson remains fit and does well for United (except against us)

But we rushed him back when I don’t think he was ready and if you look back he caught a high ball and his knee just crumpled beneath him which is not a good omen

The club looked at the big picture and deemed the risk to be to much and put everything into getting Kelly back and it looks like we’ve let Carson go for nothing ensuring that he would get a bigger sign on fee and a 2 year deal from United.

27 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

For me Kelly is a better keeper Dave , so when it became  apparent that QPR were willing to let him go , we had to go for him., which meant Carson had to go.

It was the sensible option, as if we had not we would have  been left with 2 main keepers just back from long term injury and the uncertainty that brings re long term fitness not an ideal way to start the season. 

I hope Carson has fully recovered and does well at Tannadice, but  I'm  glad we have an excellent replacement ready to go.

I agree Allan. I have no inside knowledge at all, but there must surely be  doubts about Trevor Carson's fitness. Given that Liam Kelly is a proven performer it was only right that we moved for him.  Not at all surprised that Trevor moved on, just surprised that it was to Dundee United.

It is a sore one, however the club have been very supportive of Carson over his spell at the club and with Kelly on the scene, it probably is the right time for him to move on. The way things panned out was genuinely tragic however I wish the big man the best of luck. On reflection, from Ruddy, Randolph, Carson and now Kelly we have had a fair few quality keepers (few roasters as well (Michael Fraser has me scarred for life).

Priority from now on in this window though still has to be more goals. I did see on either FB or Twitter the squad list...still seems hellova big given we were looking to thin down and focus on quality over quantity. Certainly, our best years over the last 15 years or so - and we have had our fair share of good seasons since 2007 - have been achieved on what were smaller squads, I think more often than not the smallest in the league. Our wage bill on the other hand last year must have been frightening given the size of the squad and the number of passengers we had on the bus, hopefully that cash is going to be recycled into something with a bit more quality in addition to Kelly, as he won't have come cheap. He will, I imagine, be quite possibly one of our more expensive players. 

I think the "first team squad" listed only contains about 17 or 18 genuine first team contenders right now. The others will be the Development/U20/B Team or whatever it's called now, who will hopefully have some matches to play this season,

• David locked this topic