2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

9 minutes ago, Kmac said:

Not at all, but realistically, our opening 4 fixtures are quite kind to us, it’s going to be a tough league this season and capitalizing on every opportunity will be vital

The league will be the same as it is every year, the blue or green uglies will win it, then miles behind those two, Aberdeen, and Hibs, will carry on the fight for 3rd place.

The next mini league will  see Motherwell, Hearts, Dundee untd, and StJ  going for the Last 2 top 6 places and possibly a Euro  spot

The other 4,  Ross County, Livi, St Mirren  and Dundee will be the relegation group .

39 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The league will be the same as it is every year, the blue or green uglies will win it, then miles behind those two, Aberdeen, and Hibs, will carry on the fight for 3rd place.

The next mini league will  see Motherwell, Hearts, Dundee untd, and StJ  going for the Last 2 top 6 places and possibly a Euro  spot

The other 4,  Ross County, Livi, St Mirren  and Dundee will be the relegation group .

I’m sure Killie thought the same last season

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

suspect St Mirren will be higher up than the top 4.  An excellent manager and they seem to have the a good eye for players.   

That said we should be able to compete with them 

33 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

suspect St Mirren will be higher up than the top 4.  An excellent manager and they seem to have the a good eye for players.   

That said we should be able to compete with them 

Aye , Good eye for ex well players.

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

There’s also two weeks until the season starts and 4 games against opposition (before the window closes) that we need to be taking 8 points from if we’re serious about sitting in the top 6 next April…

Which we won't do if we sign crap and are stuck with them.

Like I said it's about getting the right guys.

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Which we won't do if we sign crap and are stuck with them.

Like I said it's about getting the right guys.

Absolutely correct however the right players also need time to bed and that’s a luxury we don’t have much of 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kmac said:

There’s also two weeks until the season starts and 4 games against opposition (before the window closes) that we need to be taking 8 points from if we’re serious about sitting in the top 6 next April…

So you'd rather get in 3 bodies for the first 4 games that aren't too good, than 3 players that are key team members for the next couple of seasons?

If we're bringing in players from down south, it's quite possible we won't see them until late July or early August.

In fact, we brought in guys like Watt and O'Donnell as free agents after the window closed and that worked out OK.

Setting up my super duper spreadsheet for the season and I noticed that of all the players we've used in the opening league cup matches NONE of them have played 50 league matches for the club. 

Highest is grizzled 'Well veteran Tony Watt with 39 league appearances.

Liam Donnelly is the highest scorer with 8 goals.

Overall the 14 players used so far only have 274 appearances and 16 league goals for Motherwell.

Even if you include all contracted players the only one that can better Tony Watt's league appearances tally is Liam Grimshaw with 101.

Just shows you how much player turn over there has been recently.  Totally bizarre we could put out a side where guys with 20 or 30 appearances are the old guard....

3 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

What are Killie doing to have double our commercial revenue?

Last season they said they would give a credit to season ticket holders if they couldn't honour any of their 19 home games. By the end of the season they welched on that and offered a small discount on this season's ticket instead.

According to their website, that saved them £700k. If they applied a similar approach to other parts of their commercial revenue, I imagine that quickly adds up.

It's the old doubled edged sword, with the shorter contracts we have been able to move players on that have not been setting the heather on fire but at the same time the ones who you would love to keep move on without a curdy of compensation. It seems other clubs esph down south know about our diamonds in the youth system and they're even moving on before they get into our first team.

We have had a different approach this season as Kelly, Shields and Woolery are all on three year deals hopefully this gives us a chance to start building some more consistency within the squad but in saying that if any generous offers came in, if they perform well then they will be off. 

I'm hopeful that any signings going forward would be players expected to start, it seems to have been a slow process this year as Robinson always seemed to have most of his business wrapped up prompt. 

52 minutes ago, Kat said:

It's the old doubled edged sword, with the shorter contracts we have been able to move players on that have not been setting the heather on fire but at the same time the ones who you would love to keep move on without a curdy of compensation. It seems other clubs esph down south know about our diamonds in the youth system and they're even moving on before they get into our first team.

We have had a different approach this season as Kelly, Shields and Woolery are all on three year deals hopefully this gives us a chance to start building some more consistency within the squad but in saying that if any generous offers came in, if they perform well then they will be off. 

I'm hopeful that any signings going forward would be players expected to start, it seems to have been a slow process this year as Robinson always seemed to have most of his business wrapped up prompt. 

Giving three year deals was certain a shock, I assume the club were as certain as they could be that they were safe bets. Short of Kelly getting injuries he is certainly that, the other two less so in my view. I’m happy seeing the club offer different contract lengths based on assessments and it’s good to see players getting a lengthy trial before signing.

24 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Brilliant is a strong word to use on this forum unless we are signing Ngolo Kante or someone similar, even then there would be doubters. :)

Not played a game yet according to Alexander so signings that have been ongoing for a while by the sound of it. Slightly worried about expectations given they are “ Brilliant”, the only way is down after that level of talking up.

17 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Not played a game yet according to Alexander so signings that have been ongoing for a while by the sound of it. Slightly worried about expectations given they are “ Brilliant”, the only way is down after that level of talking up.

If anybody thinks we will actually be signing "brilliant" players then maybe we're not the team for them.

What he actually said, of course, was that they'd be "brilliant additions to the squad" - which is an important distinction.  A decent midfielder that can pass a ball could be a brilliant addition to the squad without being a brilliant player.

Plus, of course, it's just a figure of speech - but I think we all knew that really.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic