2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

If anybody thinks we will actually be signing "brilliant" players then maybe we're not the team for them.

What he actually said, of course, was that they'd be "brilliant additions to the squad" - which is an important distinction.  A decent midfielder that can pass a ball could be a brilliant addition to the squad without being a brilliant player.

Plus, of course, it's just a figure of speech - but I think we all knew that really.

Yes I was being a little naughty there but you just know that word “ Brilliant” will not be forgotten.

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

If anybody thinks we will actually be signing "brilliant" players then maybe we're not the team for them.

What he actually said, of course, was that they'd be "brilliant additions to the squad" - which is an important distinction.  A decent midfielder that can pass a ball could be a brilliant addition to the squad without being a brilliant player.

Plus, of course, it's just a figure of speech - but I think we all knew that really.

The important distinction, for me, is between additions to the squad and guys specifically brought in as first team players. They've got to be the latter at this point.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

See there is chat of us looking at Juhani ojala, center back.

experienced, big 6ft 3 lad who's played 20+ international games for Finland. Never played in the lower pits of England.

That would be very promising and a welcome fresh approach. 

Anything that moves us away from the conveyor belt of 23ish year olds, who played league 2 or worse is a move in the right direction. 

Well from a quick read he seems like a player that would be starting most weeks.  Decent amount of experience at a decent level. Danish top flight not miles better or worse than the SPL, same with the Swedish league but got decent experience in those leagues and some better leagues as well.

On the face of it someone that would come in and improve us.  See how that plays out.

50 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Looks a solid signing, shores up the back line.

What is our preferred CB pairing? I assume this new boy and either Lamie/Mugabi with O'Connor as backup.

I'd hope we'll now bring in another first pick central defender.

Yes a creative midfielder should also be high up on our menu.

Looks a solid signing, shores up the back line.
What is our preferred CB pairing? I assume this new boy and either Lamie/Mugabi with O'Connor as backup.
A creative midfielder now please.
I would prefer O'connor in next to the new captain . Lamie has too many mistakes in him and should be the back up. Mugabi can act as the rotation with O'connor.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I can see a lot of people moaning all season that we don't have a "creative midfielder" as I don't think that's the sort of player Alexander is going to use in his system. 

I think OTF is spot on with what he says about the front players being asked to hold the ball up and the midfield covering a lot of the park moving from their shielding positions to being involved in the attack. So you need players with an engine in the middle and your front players to hold the ball up. So I worry when Watt is off his game we're going to have some big problems.

I don't mind if we don't sign a creative midfield player.  I do mind us having midfielders who can't bloody pass though.

We have wingbacks - we could easily use them with a 3-5-2 / 5-3-1
We have Watt who can site behind as long as we play a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-3-1-2 

suspect we have decent forwards and we have at least 2 decent midfielders with Donnelly and Ohara. 

Overall the biggest issues have been the formation we play and the players we either opt for are are forced to play.  2-3 more decent signings will clearly help. 

Excl: #SaintsFC midfielder Callum Slattery is closing in on a permanent switch to Scottish side Motherwell. Will be a good move for the 22-year-old & a chance to kickstart his career.

It seems another 3 year deal, we’re certainly going down a different route.

17 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:
Excl: #SaintsFC midfielder Callum Slattery is closing in on a permanent switch to Scottish side Motherwell. Will be a good move for the 22-year-old & a chance to kickstart his career.

Just been confirmed by the club on Twitter.

Hopefully he is the midfielder we’ve been needing.

Welcome to the club.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

I don't mind if we don't sign a creative midfield player.  I do mind us having midfielders who can't bloody pass though.

We have wingbacks - we could easily use them with a 3-5-2 / 5-3-1
We have Watt who can site behind as long as we play a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-3-1-2 

suspect we have decent forwards and we have at least 2 decent midfielders with Donnelly and Ohara. 

Overall the biggest issues have been the formation we play and the players we either opt for are are forced to play.  2-3 more decent signings will clearly help. 

Expected formation change today.

I’ve had to bite my tongue and stop reading at the description of decent midfielders. Donnelly as an anchor, I’ll give you.

12 minutes ago, supermarv said:

It’s a “brilliant” signing to be fair to the club 

He appeared to have a lot of promise as a youngster and has played at u-16/17/20 levels for England according to wiki. Sounds promising.

On paper looks to be good and exciting signing. He would certainly have to be good on the ball to be in any england underage squad as well as being at Southampton academy.  Here's hoping he doesn't think it's going to be easy up here as he will soon find out it isn't.  These are type of signings I have always felt we should be going for (released from epl or even our big 2) at a gd age however I dont know the financial situation to do this and I always thought they must be out our range. With o'connor in from Leicester and now slattery its 2 who have been around top players day in day out. Some experience now to go alongside them such as the Finnish boy mentioned would seem to be good business. On the pitch will tell it's own story as ever.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic