2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/finland-international-star-could-motherwells-24611925

Finland international star could be Motherwell's ninth summer signing

Experienced defender Juhani Ojala has reportedly impressed during a trial this summer

Motherwell are set to make their ninth summer signing in experienced defender Juhani Ojala.

The Daily Record reports that the 32-year-old reportedly impressed during a trial at Fir Park this summer.

Eyebrows were raised when Ojala wasn't part of Finland's Euros squad, having won 22 caps before then.

Ojala has played in Switzerland with Young Boys, Russia with Terek Grozny and with Hacken in Sweden, and is currently with Danish side Vejle Boldklub, where his contract is coming to an end.

He would be the Fir Park club's ninth summer signing, following Liam Kelly, Connor Shields, Justin Amaluzor, Darragh O'Connor, Kevin Van Veen, Kaiyne Woolery, Mich'el Parker and Callum Slattery.

On 7/24/2021 at 3:44 PM, Wellfan90 said:

What would people’s opinions be on looking at Lewis Macleod, ex rangers, Brentford, wigan and Plymouth ? Currently without a club and a Lanarkshire lad.

He’s unfortunately injury prone, but there is a cracking player there if he could stay fit….. even on a month to month if that worked for both parties 

Is this a cheeky wee leak or just wishful thinking. Think he’d be a cracking player for us and still young enough to make a name for himself. 

50 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Is this a cheeky wee leak or just wishful thinking. Think he’d be a cracking player for us and still young enough to make a name for himself. 

We have had enough issues with players out injured in recent seasons, the last thing we need is a player who averages more time on the treatment table than on the park, the money could be better spent elsewhere. 

58 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

We have had enough issues with players out injured in recent seasons, the last thing we need is a player who averages more time on the treatment table than on the park, the money could be better spent elsewhere. 

Get him fit though, and in form he could be a real asset to us and one of the best midfielders in the league potentially IF he stays fit of course. If he was to be signed I’m sure he’d be examined properly etc. And to be seen if he had any concerning underlying issues.

7 minutes ago, supermarv said:

Get him fit though, and in form he could be a real asset to us and one of the best midfielders in the league potentially IF he stays fit of course. If he was to be signed I’m sure he’d be examined properly etc. And to be seen if he had any concerning underlying issues.

If he was examined properly and found to be fit, there would be other clubs he'd be signing for ahead of us. He only signs for us if there's a concern over his durability.  So no thanks...

So, from pie and Bovril 

Anglo Italian

@AngloItalian94

McNulty has fallen through. Signing for Motherwell on a permanent 3 year contract. We could only afford a season long loan. What a sickener

37 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

If he was examined properly and found to be fit, there would be other clubs he'd be signing for ahead of us. He only signs for us if there's a concern over his durability.  So no thanks...

Same could be said for many players we sign... 

22 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

So, from pie and Bovril 

Anglo Italian

@AngloItalian94

McNulty has fallen through. Signing for Motherwell on a permanent 3 year contract. We could only afford a season long loan. What a sickener

Hard to believe but that would be a great signing if true

Just now, si91 said:

Which mcnulty - the one that played for Dundee Utd and hibs recently, and had been at reading too? 

Yes, there’s a thread on him on the Tranmere forum, probably the usual rubbish and more the fact Mellon went back to Tranmere. Although the mention of a 3 year deal is strange.

• Like 1

Don’t agree.  McNulty had a purple patch 4 years ago and a brief flourish with Hibs and hasn’t exactly played / scored much since.    
Wasn’t impressed with him at DU and claimed he was being played out of position (not just straight down the middle). Hardly inspiring given our penchant for how front three are expected to play and contribute.  

1 hour ago, purestate said:

Don’t agree.  McNulty had a purple patch 4 years ago and a brief flourish with Hibs and hasn’t exactly played / scored much since.    
Wasn’t impressed with him at DU and claimed he was being played out of position (not just straight down the middle). Hardly inspiring given our penchant for how front three are expected to play and contribute.  

Kinda agree.

If you take his two spells at Hibs and his spell at Dundee Utd he's got 46 league appearances and 12 goals.

Not terrible but not great either.  I think you should be looking for 1 in 3 from a striker and McNulty hasn't matched that.  Then as you say most of those goals were a couple of seasons ago in his first spell at Hibs and not much since.

11 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Kinda agree.

If you take his two spells at Hibs and his spell at Dundee Utd he's got 46 league appearances and 12 goals.

Not terrible but not great either.  I think you should be looking for 1 in 3 from a striker and McNulty hasn't matched that.  Then as you say most of those goals were a couple of seasons ago in his first spell at Hibs and not much since.

Career-wise he's slightly better than 1 in 3 (126 in 373 in all games).

I haven't seen that much of him recently, so have no opinion on his likely value to us. It does look like he's had spells of goals including 23 in 43 at Coventry. If we could get that out of him it would be a result. If we got his Dundee Utd form, not so much.

As we've seen, a change of scenery can sometimes be the catalyst for a player, and maybe GA has a plan on how to get the best out of him.

11 hours ago, Pettywulliegrew-2 said:

Ditto……………….…where is Onthefringes ???????

He’s not getting caught up in a Tweet that has since been deleted.

An interesting development maybe, belies the investment made in our forward line though? 

The critique offered is peak SO. 

• Like 1

Quiet on here, thought there would be more clamour for signings ahead of the league starting. 

Anything imminent? I don't expect names but a hint at bodies being in the door would be nice.

Looking at the wording of the article about the Finnish defender. It says "currently with Danish side Vejle Boldklub, where his contract is coming to an end" which makes me think he will sign the day after his contract expires with the Danish side (possibly August 1st?) And if he's impressed on trial he's trained a lot with the squad and played some pre season games as a trialist so will be ready to go.

Though this could be wishful thinking.

I imagine anyone else will be coming in towards the end of the window when the English clubs squads are settled.

1 hour ago, gullane said:

Is there not some release clause in place allowing him to move for a modest, whatever that means, fee. I have no problem with him moving on. He's been decent with us and from a playing perspective, isn't the best defensively. Only issue is a replacement as Grimmy is still ill and I'm not sure if Max Johnston is quite ready. 

At this point just a rumour though.

It certainly sounded like O'Donnell's new contract was set up in way to give him the opportunity to move on, while putting a few quid in our bank account.

I'm sure GA has a few targets to replace him if it does happen.

10 minutes ago, weeyin said:

It certainly sounded like O'Donnell's new contract was set up in way to give him the opportunity to move on, while putting a few quid in our bank account.

I'm sure GA has a few targets to replace him if it does happen.

Maybe we could buy Tait from St Mirren? I hear he’s a pretty decent right full back 

• David locked this topic