2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

Wikipedia has him signing a 2 year deal in 2020, wouldn't imagine us paying a fee for what would be a punt. Though maybe we will if its reasonable. 

If O'Donnell goes we need a first choice RB coming in sharp as Grimshaw isn't going to be back from his illness anytime soon and Max Johnson is only 17, he shouldn't be expected to be playing first team football every week at that age.

There was a wild statement  on twitter about us paying a quarter million for Kelly which I can't possibly see. Never seen any mention of a fee for Slattery. Possibly none involved as Southampton clearly don't see him as a player that will make it for them or be attracting significant offers so just happy to get him off the books.

34 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

There was a wild statement  on twitter about us paying a quarter million for Kelly which I can't possibly see. Never seen any mention of a fee for Slattery. Possibly none involved as Southampton clearly don't see him as a player that will make it for them or be attracting significant offers so just happy to get him off the books.

Quote from the official site in regards to Slattery. "The 22-year-old midfielder moves on a permanent basis from English Premier League side Southampton for an undisclosed fee." I wonder if it was nominal, when Kelly was signed nothing was mentioned about a fee or such from Motherwell's side so I would assume free.

We might be able to figure it out from the next set of financials.

Pure speculation on my part, but I'd guess we gave up a large chunk of a future sell-on to QPR in order to bring him in cheap. With a 3 year contract, we'll sell him on (with his international caps) after year 2 and pass on most of the profit to his old club.

Simple B-)

The fact that it took a "long period of negotiation" to arrange certainly made it sound like it was a bit more complex than a free or small-fee kind of transfer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GazzyB said:

On the subject of fees, was there any chat about just how much we paid for Slattery and Kelly?

I read we signed Slattery on a 2 year, 10 month deal for a fee of £220k. It was a English Twitter account that posted the details. 

If true, that 3 million pound interest free loan from the Scottish government is getting battered like a student who's just been approved an overdraft! 

• Like 2

I thought he'd signed the new contract to ensure we received a small fee when he did, inevitably, move on. However, as we got him for nothing, it wouldn't be terrible if is next move is a free.

41 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If O'Donnell leaves we need to get a fee.

£500k is possibly unrealistic but £250k should be the minimum.

Don't see why £500k is unrealistic, he's an established international player, good recent form 2 years to go on his contract,  if that was a transfer from another English team you would be talking 7 figures, we should start the negotiations at £1m after all we don't need to sell him, that will see how serious the interest is.

• David locked this topic