2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

11 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Leadership on the field, that’s for starters and I think that is a key requirement for a club captain.

The players should know what to do on the field that's what GA's job is. I will give you some of the younger or less experienced might need a word now and then, but the club captain is the public face of the players, media duties etc so an experienced pro is an excellent choice, and for me SOD meets the requirements.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I would have had Kelly or Watt as captain ahead of O’Donnell that’s for sure. Be that just on the park rather than the ‘off the park’ matters, whatever they are, but I would have picked either one of them as leaders on the field before SO’D.

I’m not sure sure I would want Watt as captain, nothing against the guy as a player but I don’t see him as captain material. 

• Like 1

I can see several reasons to make him captain - he's not a Hartley type but

he's a Scottish international
model pro who works his socks off
He has a level head - ideal person to speak to a ref during a game.
 help push his value up
give him another reason to stick around. 

• Like 5

Manager sees the players train everyday, talks to them and has first hand experiance of how the players interact with each other. I would think hes in the best position to decide who the captain is. Rather than us seeing them 90 mins every week or two.  

• Like 1

GA has had months to look at the players and assess their different qualities on and off the pitch. If he thinks O'Donnell is Captain material then that's fine with me as he's far more qualified to make that choice than any of us.

Edit.  STV beat me to it

Edited by santheman

14 minutes ago, Yassin said:

Captaincy always seems like a really weird thing to get worked up about to me. Unless you're ITK or whatever about the internal dynamics and relationships at the club it's an entirely pointless discussion.

I’ve always viewed the Captain first and foremost as the player who is the leader on the park, someone who is vocal with the rest of the team and can when needed speak to/with the officials. Craigan, Lasley, Leitch, Phil O’Donnell and Tom Boyd are the type of guys that spring to mind when I think of that type of role, all guys who were able to be focal points of the team and who were the obvious ‘leader’.  

There are only 2 players remotely qualified to be Motherwell Captain if its not gonna be SOD.

Liam Kelly - consistently impressive performer, great communicator, organiser and motivator.

Liam Donnelly. Steely determination and will to win. Plays in an area of the park where he can communicate  and influence the game.

I wouldnt be upset with either of those, but they are not head and shoulders above SOD for all the reasons listed above. Im glad he has been given the opportunity as it means there have been conversations had and he has given a commitment to stay.

O'Donnell's profile went sky high after the Wembley game and there is definitely a benefit to having a captain with a bit of a media presence. Lasley and Craigan used it well and obviously guys like Scott Brown, Davie Weir and Berra have all got away with murder due to their seniority over the years.

On the other hand we had McHugh as captain who referees seemed to loathe and it definitely worked against us.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steelboy said:

He has captained his country so you would think he will be a leader on the park regardless.

Facts like this have no place on this forum , thank you very much. 

• Haha 2

I see Kelly has been named the vice captain. 

I'm surprised they have just announced O'Donnell as captain just now as he was wearing the armband in all the League Cup games. 

I know Ross County had that as an incentive when they were trying to sign that Ash Taylor when we were interested but I was always confident it would be some who had been on board last season such as O'Donnell, Kelly, Donnelly or Watt. 

The captain does more than scream at people on the park, and they don't necessarily need to do that either. There's all kinds of captains, and not every player reacts to a head case shouting at them. Not everyone wants to be captain either, look at what happened to McHugh.

Hartley barely played as captain, he spent most of the time on the bench, and if we need someone to drag everyone into position, then that's a failing of the manager.   

As said above, the manager sees the players every day, and he's seen how odonnell has interacted with everyone during his time and obviously sees him as someone the players look up to.  SOD is also an experienced player who, wether you like it or not, has a good deal of international experience and is likely to play the majority of our games, and he handles the media well.

Also, I'm skeptical whether the captain has any effect on a game. Maybe there's a stat for that. 

16 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

I’ve always viewed the Captain first and foremost as the player who is the leader on the park, someone who is vocal with the rest of the team and can when needed speak to/with the officials. Craigan, Lasley, Leitch, Phil O’Donnell and Tom Boyd are the type of guys that spring to mind when I think of that type of role, all guys who were able to be focal points of the team and who were the obvious ‘leader’.  

I always have a wee laugh when folk get all misty eyed about Lasley. He very very often went very quiet when things weren't going well. The fact he was so bad at timing tackles kept him up there for a lot of fans. 

I should state - I'm a big Las fan. But I never thought he was the vocal presence he needed to be. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, superward said:

I always have a wee laugh when folk get all misty eyed about Lasley. He very very often went very quiet when things weren't going well. The fact he was so bad at timing tackles kept him up there for a lot of fans. 

I should state - I'm a big Las fan. But I never thought he was the vocal presence he needed to be. 

He was rank rotten

9 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I'd say we need a striker and one or two midfielders dependent on whether O'Hara has a return date. 

We should be looking to punt Lawless if at all possible.

Shields is still to come back in...

...but aye, the lack of options off the bench today was probably what lost us that game. No harm to Lawless or Amaluzor, but I dont think either are of the desired quality

• Like 1

• David locked this topic