2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

25 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Shields is still to come back in...

...but aye, the lack of options off the bench today was probably what lost us that game. No harm to Lawless or Amaluzor, but I dont think either are of the desired quality

Was about to post likewise in the match thread. First eleven looks ok-ish (assuming Ojala shores up the defence). But as we tired, our options off the bench were not going to win us the game. Maybe Shields will be one but probably another attacker required...

47 minutes ago, Yodo said:

And Donnelly and McGuire and Lamie and Mugabe and Lawless need another 6 in 

oh your a hard man \ woman to please yodo mcguire and donnelly will get up to speed and be fine,lamie and mugabie   meh  lawless i will personally run him to which ever club would take him and i will still have room to take crawford as well 

12 minutes ago, smiddy said:

oh your a hard man \ woman to please yodo mcguire and donnelly will get up to speed and be fine,lamie and mugabie   meh  lawless i will personally run him to which ever club would take him and i will still have room to take crawford as well 

Is Barry Maguire the creative player we need in engine room?

Great to see things havent changed on here!

For what its worth, I think we need 1 more defender, 2 more midfielders and another attacking option. 

Whether that will happen or not we can but speculate. But Im much happier tonight than I was this time last week!

9 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I agree. He is yet to develop further but he looks, at the moment, to be ok as back up to Slattery perhaps?

you could be right i would imagine that slattery with his x amount of english prem games under his belt will be far more developed coming from southampton than mcguire but this has GOT to be mcguires year to establish himself or he will do a forbes, and end up down the leagues, by the way i liked the look of the wee midfielder we released who played against us in the league cup for queens park i think it was he was a handful, but weather he just had a point to prove or not, but worth a watch he was the best midfielder on the park 

I see Maguire more a back up to Donnelly in the steely defensive midfield role. Slattery showed today he has a lot more about him than that. Very composed on the ball, can pick a pass and can handle himself as well. Looks like we may have won a watch there.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Is Barry Maguire the creative player we need in engine room?

Personally I think he could be Dave, he has looked a much better player this season , always puts in a good shift and has a couple of goals so far, his positional play it a bit suspect at times but that's just experience 

With better players beside him ie Slattery and Donelly and /or any other midfielder we bring in this could  be his year to step up. 

Yeah I really like Barry Maguire as well, bit unfairly treated by some on her as he’s maybe not the next Turnbull or Campbell and wasn’t an instant WOW academy graduate. However last season when he first came in the team he was one of the better ones hence why he’s still here and will be sure to kick on with GA this season which he is showing already.

31 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I like Maguire, because he has a bit of football in him too. Still a bit raw at times, but more first team games should get help him get rid of the odd rash tackle and overambitious pass.

He’ll be a ball playing centre back in 6 or 7 years.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I like Maguire, because he has a bit of football in him too. Still a bit raw at times, but more first team games should get help him get rid of the odd rash tackle and overambitious pass.

The odd rash tackle is a good thing for a midfielder, controlled aggression is a better term for it, a few hard but fair tackles early in the game  to set the tone, just give him some Scott Brown  highlights for him to watch and see how it's done.

14 minutes ago, Del_Superwell said:

He is naturally a centre back that we have been trying to convert into a midfielder for the last few years

No he’s not, nor was he brought into the club from that grounding having been coached as attacking midfielder in his formative years.

He was developed into the centre back role which was recognised then it was thought better suited to an advanced role.

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

The odd rash tackle is a good thing for a midfielder, controlled aggression is a better term for it, a few hard but fair tackles early in the game  to set the tone, just give him some Scott Brown  highlights for him to watch and see how it's done.

I'm a fan of controlled aggression. I just meant that sometimes he gives away needless fouls in the wrong areas of the pitch or picks up an needless booking.

Should be easy enough to correct, though, as he gets more experience and I definitely think he's worth his starting place right now.

• Like 1

I see Jordan Roberts has been told to find another club, have to say wasn’t over impressed when he signed for us last season but proved me wrong, wonder if GA is keen to bring him back, but I believe there is suppose to be a couple of English sides might be interested in him or maybe his agent is spreading that around!

35 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

I see Jordan Roberts has been told to find another club, have to say wasn’t over impressed when he signed for us last season but proved me wrong, wonder if GA is keen to bring him back, but I believe there is suppose to be a couple of English sides might be interested in him or maybe his agent is spreading that around!

Would not be surprised if he ended up at Fir Park at all.

It was a small sample size with us, but he gelled well with Watt and Cole and didn't have a bad game, I'd definitely have him at motherwell if we could get him (can't believe I'm saying that after his completely underwhelming announcement in January). 

The only issue I'd see is that he'd be one of 6 players competing for that front 3, so he could end up not getting the minutes he's after.

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

It was a small sample size with us, but he gelled well with Watt and Cole and didn't have a bad game, I'd definitely have him at motherwell if we could get him (can't believe I'm saying that after his completely underwhelming announcement in January). 

The only issue I'd see is that he'd be one of 6 players competing for that front 3, so he could end up not getting the minutes he's after.

A lot of people were underwhelmed by the signing but if you took a look back he got a decent move to Ipswich in the championship after having a decent few season at Crawley and also scored a screamer against us IIRC. Obviously he ended up at hearts for a reason but they were still making good signings last year and ultimately he played decent for us so I’d take him back definitely a good addition to the side for the wide positions.

I remember we signed him and Lawless and most people thought he was a very poor signing and Lawless was a great piece of business, myself included.

Would happily take him back but as mentioned I doubt we will sign him as we have a lot of players in that position already. 

38 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I remember we signed him and Lawless and most people thought he was a very poor signing and Lawless was a great piece of business, myself included.

Would happily take him back but as mentioned I doubt we will sign him as we have a lot of players in that position already. 

Not many good enough though to push for the first team, we definitely need someone in for that front 3 and Shields return whenever will be a bonus. 
Seem to be looking at centre backs anyway as we have one in on trial ex Arsenal Joseph Olowu.

• David locked this topic