2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

3 hours ago, ropy said:

I would be concerned that we signed Roberts and he would be a let down, perhaps his time with us was a purple patch, why can Hearts not get a tune out of him?

Who knows. It wouldn't be the first time that a player hasn't fitted in at a particular club. We need to look no further back than John Sutton, who just didn't perform at Tynecastle due to the way he was being played as a lone striker.

• Like 1

We definitely need another attacking option,i would like to see a left winger with a bit of pace brought in which would also give us the option of mixing it up more and playing watt more centrally.van veen looks like he will thrive on cross balls this season so another option out wide could work out really well for us.anybody know when shields is expected back?

27 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Correct. Huge issue on Sunday was the lack of options on the bench...

That is true.  That and poor defending. 

But also when you have a team where quite a few of the team are playing their 1st games after joining or coming back from injury that will also impact. Hibs team was same as last season with a couple of additions from the Scottish league.  So they had a much more settled line up v us. 

It will take time, we’re not even finished building the squad yet. We were far better last Sunday than I thought we possibly could be at this stage given the turnover and players lacking game time.

• Like 1

Two midfielders is an absolute necessity. 

We are currently paying the price for Burrows and Robinson running a football club like a game of Bargain Hunt for years and signing 5 duds in the hope of selling one. The Chief Executive needs to get bodies in and the manager needs to make clear which players aren't good enough. 

Robbie Crawford must be up for grabs considering he can't get an appearance at the moment.

To be fair, Donnelly is still getting up to speed after being out for the best part of a year. Once he's full fit, we'll see....  Maguire was pretty anonymous today and we do need a creative player in there.  As has been said often before the 4-3-3 formation puts the midfield under great pressure.

58 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

To be fair, Donnelly is still getting up to speed after being out for the best part of a year. Once he's full fit, we'll see....  Maguire was pretty anonymous today and we do need a creative player in there.  As has been said often before the 4-3-3 formation puts the midfield under great pressure.

To be fair, Donnelly looks just that… a defender trying to be a midfielder even when fully fit. Just a little more disciplined than others I could mention. Doesn’t offer enough protection to the back 4 for me.

I’m not sure I buy the 4-3-3 formation puts the midfield under pressure. It’s a variation on many eg, 4-5-2 and 4-2-3-1. Requires your front 3 or variations of to get touches & that’s not just the midfield to provide.

Good teams are built from the back. I’d settle for making ourselves harder to beat in the next few weeks.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mccus28 said:

Robbie Gotts a possible target for us and Salford

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/news/motherwell-register-interest-in-leeds-united-midfielder-robbie-gotts/

Similar to Slattery in that he's an English big club academy guy that's not been able to break through but has been in and around the first team a few times.

Did Alexander have him at Salford or did their paths not cross?

• David locked this topic