2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

29 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I thought against Hibs Van Veen dropping deep combined with Woolery's pace to get in behind caused their defensive line a lot of problems. Watt was quiet that day but has found his form so I think the three of them together will cause teams problems with their movement. 

I thought he struggled that game because he was stuck on the left wing but maybe just a bad day. 

21 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I thought he struggled that game because he was stuck on the left wing but maybe just a bad day. 

the stats suggest VV will score more goals than Watt or Woolery.  He looks like an out and out striker to me.

Watt sitting behind them would work really well.

TBH I don't know what Woolery's best position is. He has pace to burn and looks to have a decent touch, but not obviously a wide player and doesn't have a good enough strike rate to be an out and out striker. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Not sure what that is but when O’Donnell and Woolery both play Woolery clogs up the wide space and O’Donnell has nowhere to go. 

that's certainly part of the problem.  

I do like the idea  of the front 3 being more central. One playing behind the the front 2  enabling Carrol/SOD to push up on the wings. 

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

It definitely has, I certainly wouldn’t argue with that. 

I was sceptical when Burrows replaced Dempster but I feel that he’s grown into the role and has been good for us overall. He hasn’t got everything right, granted, but I feel like he is doing a good job.

He has benefitted greatly from being eased into the role and terrific mentorship, he gets a solid B- from me so far

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Not sure what that is but when O’Donnell and Woolery both play Woolery clogs up the wide space and O’Donnell has nowhere to go. 

A False 9 means a player that sits somewhere between a traditional centre forward and the playmaker at 10.

There's no truth to the rumour that it's more recently become shorthand for Curtis Main.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Kmac said:

I listed last week on another topic however yesterday was another example. 
Supporters asking a question of signings and that being ‘announced’ on Burrows personal Twitter page, in my opinion, isn’t acceptable. 
If people post on the clubs page and the club as a society funded entity finds it appropriate to respond then they absolutely should do so - however it’s the clubs news to share. 

I still don't see the problem. It's akin to bumping into the CEO in the street, or sending the club an email and getting a good transparent response. The fans who ask questions get an answer. If we want a club that belongs to the fans, then communication and access like this is a good thing. It seems like youd prefer a wall of silence when the CEO is asked questions, or him to give a stock business response "announcements will be made through official channels". That would be a step backwards - I hope fans continue to have the engagement we've got just now. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, CoF said:

I still don't see the problem. It's akin to bumping into the CEO in the street, or sending the club an email and getting a good transparent response. The fans who ask questions get an answer. If we want a club that belongs to the fans, then communication and access like this is a good thing. It seems like youd prefer a wall of silence when the CEO is asked questions, or him to give a stock business response "announcements will be made through official channels". That would be a step backwards - I hope fans continue to have the engagement we've got just now. 

Exactly.

1 hour ago, CoF said:

I think we are pretty lucky to have such a open CEO running our club like the way he goes about addressing things and wouldn't be shocked if he has actually turned down a few job offers to stay with the club he truly loves.

• Like 2

I don’t see the problem, he’s open and transparent and happy to speak with the fanbase, supporters of other clubs would love that level of interaction. He even buys replacement pies if you drop yours on the terracing.

23 hours ago, Kmac said:

I listed last week on another topic however yesterday was another example. 
Supporters asking a question of signings and that being ‘announced’ on Burrows personal Twitter page, in my opinion, isn’t acceptable. 
If people post on the clubs page and the club as a society funded entity finds it appropriate to respond then they absolutely should do so - however it’s the clubs news to share. 

ffs, start a topic on this and let those of us who want to talk about new signings do so...I dont know what your beef is about this

• Like 1

Motherwell agree fee for Norwegian centre-back Sondre Solholm Johansen

Motherwell have agreed a fee for Norwegian defender Sondre Solholm Johansen.

The 26-year-old centre-back's club, Mjondalen, announced that their player would play his final Norwegian top-flight match on Saturday before joining Motherwell subject to agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.

Motherwell boss Graham Alexander earlier outlined his aims ahead of Tuesday's transfer deadline after bringing in midfielder Sean Goss on Thursday.

"If we can get two more players in, I think we will have a very strong squad," said Alexander ahead of Saturday's cinch Premiership visit of Dundee.

"We are talking to a couple of clubs about a couple of players. Hopefully that will progress over the weekend."

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Motherwell agree fee for Norwegian centre-back Sondre Solholm Johansen

Motherwell have agreed a fee for Norwegian defender Sondre Solholm Johansen.

The 26-year-old centre-back's club, Mjondalen, announced that their player would play his final Norwegian top-flight match on Saturday before joining Motherwell subject to agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.

Motherwell boss Graham Alexander earlier outlined his aims ahead of Tuesday's transfer deadline after bringing in midfielder Sean Goss on Thursday.

"If we can get two more players in, I think we will have a very strong squad," said Alexander ahead of Saturday's cinch Premiership visit of Dundee.

"We are talking to a couple of clubs about a couple of players. Hopefully that will progress over the weekend."

sounds like a great signing - refreshing to go into Europe and try something different. 

Depth of squad looks pretty solid now - if we can add any creative players/wingers (or a damn good left back)  then job done.

BUT do we have enough centre halves now :wink:

By my calculation we have five or six guys who can play centre half (plus Devine) when the Norwegian arrives.  We have seven or eight that can play centre midfield (plus Cornelius) at the moment. Three or four centre forwards and two, maybe three wingers and those wingers aren't exactly impressing. I reckon winger is where we're looking. Wouldn't be surprised to see Crawford and Cornelius leave on loan given the numbers we have in there. 

As far as I'm aware, none of our midfielders have been called up for international duty. Alexander should focus the next two weeks on getting the right combination of players in midfield. Irrespective of what some say on here, a lot of these midfielders have different qualities.  The manager needs to work out how to get what he wants out of a combination of them...

49 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

By my calculation we have five or six guys who can play centre half (plus Devine) when the Norwegian arrives.  We have seven or eight that can play centre midfield (plus Cornelius) at the moment. Three or four centre forwards and two, maybe three wingers and those wingers aren't exactly impressing. I reckon winger is where we're looking. Wouldn't be surprised to see Crawford and Cornelius leave on loan given the numbers we have in there. 

As far as I'm aware, none of our midfielders have been called up for international duty. Alexander should focus the next two weeks on getting the right combination of players in midfield. Irrespective of what some say on here, a lot of these midfielders have different qualities.  The manager needs to work out how to get what he wants out of a combination of them...

Yup, seems strange to say coming off back to back wins and with no major injury worries but the international break is coming at a good time as it should let Alexander come up with the plan for how he wants us to set up and drill it in to the players.

I see Scott Kashket  a striker was leaving his club by mutual consent to join an as yet un named club before the end of the transfer deadline. Seems like a hard working striker and wonder if it was somebody that GA would show an interest in. Not like we are prolific in front of goal just now.

1 hour ago, Well Well said:

I see Scott Kashket  a striker was leaving his club by mutual consent to join an as yet un named club before the end of the transfer deadline. Seems like a hard working striker and wonder if it was somebody that GA would show an interest in. Not like we are prolific in front of goal just now.

Don't know anything about the lad but hardly a goalscorer that said he's been getting a lot of games and at a good level so don't see why he wouldn't do a job for us.

• David locked this topic