2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

12 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

not necessarily he could be equally comfortable at another club.

Maybe or maybe not. I was just giving a possible reason why he might struggle to recapture this level of form elsewhere - and his prior dips in form suggest it's something he has struggled to deal with in the past.

Of course, his current experiences might have better prepared him for a move, so we'll just need to wait and see.

Do you no something Tony Watt has been fantastic for us, I hope he signs on, but if he doesn’t then good luck to him as he has been nothing but professional with us, there will always be someone else that will come in and do us a turn, so positivity and on wards and up wards. COYW

2 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Agent leaking a bit of a come and get me story that will get maximum exposure (ie a paper will actually run it) when we're playing Celtic tomorrow.

If you're agent wasn't putting stories out when you're top scorer in the league and have 6 months left on a deal they'd be pretty useless.

No one needs to leak anything. Agents do all the work. 

24 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

if that was the norm everyone who has left us would have become shite, last i looked it hadnt happened.

Just my opinion but he’s moved from club to club and finally found one that works for him. Of course he could go on to have great success at another club, I hope he does. I just have a suspicion he won’t replicate his form with us.

If I was Tony Watt I'd be looking to wait until the summer before making any decisions. See who comes in for him, look at the money, the circumstances, the league, the location and so on, then make a choice.

As long as we're not left hanging on for a ridiculous amount of time waiting on his decision I'm fine with him weighing up his options.

On 12/11/2021 at 8:45 PM, FirParkCornerExile said:

if that was the norm everyone who has left us would have become shite, last i looked it hadnt happened.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:32 PM, Coatsy said:

Not many have went on to be a success elsewhere

Yeah I was gonna say in the last 2 or 3 years I can only think of Turnbull. Maybe Kipre. Must be missing some though eh?

We have been a great fit for Watt - he's also a great fit for us.    Ideally he resigns and we continue to love what he brings. 

If he moves on suspect it will be a lower championship / D1/top4 Scotts Prem club and pay him higher salary.

At the end of the day money talks - he won't go on to a much higher level but he could move on to a much higher salary . 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

At the end of the day money talks - he won't go on to a much higher level but he could move on to a much higher salary .

Exactly. Footballers, especially like Watt who have seen the highs and the lows the game has to offer, will be all too aware that while he may be a star for us this season, he could very easily see a drop in form next season. 

His next contract, considering the form he's in just now, could very well be the most important in his career. While some fans may see a move to a Barnsley, Luton, or Millwall as one that isn't offering much from a footballing point of view it will see him earn a good deal more than we can offer, and spread over a 3 or 4 year contract that's a decent bit of coin.

Of course, there's no player in the professional game who doesn't think they can make the cut at a higher level than they're currently at. If they thought that way they likely wouldn't have made it this far to begin with.

I dont see him moving in January, as I dont think he will have given up on the Scotland Squad, which would again raise his earning potential and maybe earn him a better move.  I think he is likely to sit tight and see what the summer brings.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:57 PM, Busta Nut said:

Yeah I was gonna say in the last 2 or 3 years I can only think of Turnbull. Maybe Kipre. Must be missing some though eh?

Campbell playing regularly in the Championship for much more money.

Cadden at Hibs could be considered a step up definitely in terms of earnings, his form is picking up again.

Do we allow McKinstry getting some games for Leeds?

Gorrin getting games at the top end of league one with Oxford until his injury.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, C&A not the shop said:

Cadden at Hibs could be considered a step up definitely in terms of earnings, his form is picking up again.

I'm not sure Oxford Utd or even Hibs are better things in term of football quality - certainly not this year's Hibs so far.

Better money, definitely, and that could be a major factor for Watt when he is making his decision.

Campbell's move is still in its early days, but I do expect he will go on to good things there and he is likely to be successful.

McKinstry has top flight potential, but it's very much still potential at this stage in his career. We all know how quickly these things can turn sour. Would be great to have an academy product starring the in the EPL every week.

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not a single one anywhere?

I'd be very surprised if there was. Usually a great deal of self-belief is part of what gets a footballer to the level they're at. If Tony Watt were to be offered a great deal by Everton, for example (and we know he won't but let's say for the sake of discussion they come in for him) he'll most likely think he's good enough if given the opportunity at that level.

If anything most footballers are somewhat delusional when it comes to how good they really are.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I’d like to think that we could at least offer him good enough contract to stop him moving to a team in Scotland. Don’t think we could match any offers from England. Just have to wait and see but can’t fault him if he moves for a good bit more money. 

If Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen want him, then they will blow us out of the water 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

If Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen want him, then they will blow us out of the water 

Aye you would think they three would offer atleast treble what we would.i would be gutted to see him go to any of they clubs after we have pretty much helped to save his career, hopefully he has ambitions to give playing down south or abroad another go and gets the opportunity.I would love him to stay but sadly for me there is zero chance of it happening.

8 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Not sure I’d rate any of those as having  great success. Great success for me would be playing regularly in the Premier league down south.

• Haha 1

• David locked this topic