2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

He's shown willingness to move abroad before and I think he's single/without kids so it's not a massive upheaval for him to go abroad again.

Maybe a more exotic move could be on the cards.

I think we are going to have to replace him, if he moves in January he'll be hard to replace, should get more options for a replacement in the summer. 

14 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Not sure I’d rate any of those as having  great success. Great success for me would be playing regularly in the Premier league down south.

Depends on your definition of success. I think we (Motherwell fans) are often guilty of overestimating where we sit in the great footballing landscape. A move to a top-half league one club will almost always involve a significant increase in wages, regularly playing in front of bigger crowds and playing with and against a higher standard of player.  

19 minutes ago, CoF said:

Depends on your definition of success. I think we (Motherwell fans) are often guilty of overestimating where we sit in the great footballing landscape. A move to a top-half league one club will almost always involve a significant increase in wages, regularly playing in front of bigger crowds and playing with and against a higher standard of player.  

As you say it depends on what’s classed as success. At league one level for all the number of bigger clubs there are also games playing in front of smaller clubs, they will never play in front of 45/60000, the standard of football at league one is not that great in truth, maybe a touch better but nothing to write home about. They will certainly earn more if that’s what’s classed as success. Nothing wrong with playing for the likes of Oxford of course but I think most players would deem real success as slightly higher up the ladder. Not something that most achieve from any club when they head down south.

1 hour ago, CoF said:

I'm not sure about that. Unless you sign for one of the 7-8 clubs who average 15-20 thousand crowds will be roughly the same and if players are genuinely bothered about standard of opposition you get your 6-8 Old Firm games which is miles above League One level plus usually a couple of other teams equivalent to top half League One. 

It's really just money. 

5 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

He's shown willingness to move abroad before and I think he's single/without kids so it's not a massive upheaval for him to go abroad again.

Maybe a more exotic move could be on the cards.

I think we are going to have to replace him, if he moves in January he'll be hard to replace, should get more options for a replacement in the summer. 

His wife might have something to say about that haha.

I can't see him moving in January, at least I hope not. Saying that, I trust Alexander/scouting team to get his replacement right. We also might see more of KVV played through the middle on a weekly basis

I think there's next to no chance he'll leave in January, we're doing well financially and he's extremely important to us, and nobody's gonna pay funny money for him when they can get him for free.

The days of us selling him for £300k with 6 months left on his contract because we're skint are (hopefully) gone.

Edit - this is all speculation inside my brain so someone 'in the know' feel free to come along and tell  me to weesht.

Tony Watt would be utter mental leaving us for a  couple of grand extra a week let's not kid ourselves on here,he will have pocketed a fair wedge on signing on fees alone with his career and I bet he isn't short of a Bob or two.I be willing bet he shall be back to square one a football nomad again when he leaves can see that happening.

50 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Tony Watt would be utter mental leaving us for a  couple of grand extra a week let's not kid ourselves on here,he will have pocketed a fair wedge on signing on fees alone with his career and I bet he isn't short of a Bob or two.I be willing bet he shall be back to square one a football nomad again when he leaves can see that happening.

A couple of grand a week over a 2 1/2 year contract is an extra £1/4 million.  He would be wrong not to look at that.  If he goes at the end of the season then he will owe us nothing.  If he goes in January it is up to the club to ensure £xoo,ooo comes our way.  I don’t know what x is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Somebody offers you a new job and Increases your salary by £100 k a year guaranteed for maybe 2 or 3  years aye you would be crazy to take it :doh:

• Like 1

I see watt is being linked with a few english championship teams today,if he was to move to any of those mentioned he would be getting more than an extra grand or two a week,there's no way he will be turning that kind of money down and let's be honest,rightly so.ive resigned myself to him leaving,as long as he doesn't end up at a hibs or aberdeen that will do me,I actually think he will have eyes on moving down south again and trying to do that move justice now that his career is in the best place it's been.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Somebody offers you a new job and Increases your salary by £100 k a year guaranteed for maybe 2 or 3  years aye you would be crazy to take it :doh:

Liam Kelly took a cut in wages to come to Fir Park because he wanted to play every week and he wanted to boost his chances of international football.

Football is different from most jobs because in most jobs you don't need to be in the first team every week or winning trophies to get job satisfaction.

Ask James Scott, Declan Gallagher or Jake Hastie if they are enjoying their football as much this season as when they were playing for us, regardless of their bank balance.

That's what makes the choice of moving on a tougher one than in most jobs. Money might well win in the end, but the choices aren't as simple as they are for regular employment.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11796/12498084/motherwell-striker-tony-watt-rejects-new-contract-offer

Tony Watt: Motherwell striker rejects new contract offer at Fir Park
Tony Watt has rejected a new deal at Motherwell; he is the Scottish Premiership's top scorer so far this season; striekr joined the Fir Park club in February 2020

By Alison Conroy

Friday 17 December 2021 13:26, UK

Motherwell manager Graham Alexander admits Tony Watt's future is in his own hands after the striker turned down a new contract offer.

Watt has been linked with several English Championship clubs after scoring a career-best 10 goals already this season, and is free to talk to other teams from January with his deal expiring in the summer.

Motherwell manager Graham Alexander says it's up to Tony Watt to decide where his future lies after he rejected a new deal with the Fir Park club.

Alexander said: "He's one of a number of players who are out of contract who we have offered contracts to. Each player has the right to either say yes, say no or negotiate.

"At this moment Tony has turned down the contract that we offered and the ball is in the player's court now to decide what he wants to do for his future.

"We have made numerous offers to players and we will see how they progress over the next few weeks."

Watt joined Motherwell on a short term deal in February 2020 after training with the Fir Park side.

The ex-Celtic striker then extended his deal until June 2022 and has become a favourite at Fir Park as he impresses in each game he plays.

Alexander added: "We can't really compete with a Championship club, or even League One, and some League Two clubs - in fact, a couple of National League clubs, which we've lost players to in the summer.

"We understand where we are. We feel we make a great environment for players from the football side, they all understand where we are on the financial side, that there are a lot of teams within the UK we can't compete with.

"We understand where we are in the food chain, but we feel we can certainly make players feel valued, they can progress their careers here, they can win games, so there are a lot of plus points for us to attract and keep players."

8 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Real possibility that we do sell him in January .

GA is trying to build a team for the next few years. If we can get decent cash we may just let him leave .

The question is what is decent cash?  I'd say £500k plus.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Any club that wants him can sign him on a pre-contract and get him for free in June.

This is true but half a mill isn't that much if they're looking for goals.

How much did we get for Moult with 6 months left on his deal? I think 350k?

• David locked this topic