2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

53 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

This is true but half a mill isn't that much if they're looking for goals.

It's not if he hits the ground running, but most new signings take a few months to bed in.

There might be a team willing to give it a punt, but they are more likely to be struggling for goals so less likely to be an attractive move.

So now I've said that, expect an announcement from Hearts in the next couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

This is true but half a mill isn't that much if they're looking for goals.

How much did we get for Moult with 6 months left on his deal? I think 350k?

The accounts from that season show "Player registration gains" of £1,036,412 - "This primarily came from the sales of defender Ben Heneghan to Sheffield United, and in January, striker Louis Moult to Preston North End."

It was reported at the time that Moult was "in the region of" £500k - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42353648

• Like 1

January is a funny month, there will be some teams crying out for a striker who can get goals, normally they don't come cheap, A championship club could see 3/4/500k as well worth the gamble. 

I think we would definitely be open to discussion if anyone came in at those sorts of figures.

whether they would, I have absolutely no idea.

Let's be honest, 500k to a championship club looking for a goalscorer is chickenfeed and Tony is well able to play that level.

Yes he's looking for a payday but more than that, I think that in his mind he has to prove to himself that he can play consistently at a higher level.

He doesn't want to wake up one day in his late 30's and ask himself "what if".

And with the COVID restrictions you are going to see alot of transfers being done by teams within the UK to each probably alot more than normally.A few in and out for us me thinks.

I can see us punting Watt and bringing in that guy from Ireland plays on the left and up front we have been linked to a few times Mark Doyle.

If he is looking for a move, he'd be better off waiting until the summer to see what his options are. Teams looking for goalscorers in January are usually struggling.  Why not enjoy a few more months at Fir Park and then review the offers by the pool in July?

5 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

January is a funny month, there will be some teams crying out for a striker who can get goals, normally they don't come cheap, A championship club could see 3/4/500k as well worth the gamble. 

I think we would definitely be open to discussion if anyone came in at those sorts of figures.

Yes, January is a funny month for transfers but I doubt if the club would entertain any offer below £500K. If we were to accept an offer much below that  then that could jeopardise our final league position (£80k per place) or a decent cup run.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes, January is a funny month for transfers but I doubt if the club would entertain any offer below £500K. If we were to accept an offer much below that  then that could jeopardise our final league position (£80k per place) or a decent cup run.

I didn't realise it was much as 80k for every place, 500k probably seems about right. I suppose we are weirdly in quite a strong position if we did want to try and attract a fee. Don't need the money, Watt is probably quite happy to hang around until then at least. And as mentioned, clubs are usually a bit desperate for anyone that can find the net in the January window.

5 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

I'd argue that we do that, given CoVid, our youths aren't getting the necessary development. Might be a while before we see sellable assets like Turnbull, McKinstry et al coming through again so we need to make hay while we can.

No fault of the club.

The flip side of that is there will be players at other clubs who are graduating from academy’s that haven’t had the game time to prove themselves but the clubs need to move them on to make way for the new intake, so we might pick up a couple of bargains. 

7 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

I'd argue that we do that, given CoVid, our youths aren't getting the necessary development. Might be a while before we see sellable assets like Turnbull, McKinstry et al coming through again so we need to make hay while we can.

No fault of the club.

That is very true, realistically you have Cornelius who is anywhere near being of the standard to shift on, even then, he has made two appearances so that will be a while away yet, the next lot of youngsters are still only 15/16/17. I suppose to counteract that, we do have sellable assets, Kelly, Slattery and Sondre are probably the next lot we would be actively punting for a few quid. 

you are right though, although we might not be a charity case, money through the doors will always be welcome.

51 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Would I be right in thinking that TW was one of our players on a lower-paid contract when he signed? If so, and it hasn't changed, then I should imagine that Slattery, Goss, Van Veen, and the two Nordics are on significantly better deals. If that's the case it's understandable that TW would expect a much better offer from us.

Absolute clickbait. 

Why would Watt join a team that could get relegated. They might be able to offer him a little more, but its not going to be significant enough to make him jump ship. 

If there are already offers from England then thats where he will be headed as only Rangers and Celtic can compete with the money down there.

9 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Absolute clickbait. 

Why would Watt join a team that could get relegated. They might be able to offer him a little more, but its not going to be significant enough to make him jump ship. 

If there are already offers from England then thats where he will be headed as only Rangers and Celtic can compete with the money down there.

Aye, it's one thing Dundee managing to get a hold of Charlie Adam, as he was a boyhood fan looking to finish his career there. And even then, it took an individual to put their hands in their pocket to finance it.

They might make an offer, of course, but if TW does want to stay in Scotland there are likely to be better offers from the usual suspects.

21 minutes ago, Wishielad said:

But is it on a par with Van Veen and co?

Who knows but u would like to think so. 

I am quite sure the club will have made their best offer in keeping with his status and impact on the pitch. You would have to think that would make him the highest earner or certainly one of them. 

I doubt we could go above £3k per week, although we are rumoured to have done so with Liam Kelly. But even at £3k per week that is small beer compared to the £10k per week a Championship club could offer or the £5-6k Hibs or Aberdeen may offer not that as many say he is likely to stay in Scotland unless with us. 

2 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I am quite sure the club will have made their best offer in keeping with his status and impact on the pitch. You would have to think that would make him the highest earner or certainly one of them. 

I doubt we could go above £3k per week, although we are rumoured to have done so with Liam Kelly. But even at £3k per week that is small beer compared to the £10k per week a Championship club could offer or the £5-6k Hibs or Aberdeen may offer not that as many say he is likely to stay in Scotland unless with us. 

The club paid out £4.1m in wages in season 19/20 so they obviously can go higher than £3k per week.

Randolph and Hateley were supposedly on that a decade ago when overall wages and turnover were lower.

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The club paid out £4.1m in wages in season 19/20 so they obviously can go higher than £3k per week.

Randolph and Hateley were supposedly on that a decade ago when overall wages and turnover were lower.

Unless I am mistaken that £4.1m includes all staff wages inc Manager etc. We must have a hefty non playing squad wage bill also. 

I am also sure that the Board stated clearly they would not go down the road of offering silly wages and putting us in trouble. With Kelly you could argue he is very much an investment at his age and worth the extra to entice him up here. I doubt Watt would be that sellable after another 2 or 3 year contract.  

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Your analysis seems all too correct to me.....sadly!

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Unless I am mistaken that £4.1m includes all staff wages inc Manager etc. We must have a hefty non playing squad wage bill also. 

I am also sure that the Board stated clearly they would not go down the road of offering silly wages and putting us in trouble. With Kelly you could argue he is very much an investment at his age and worth the extra to entice him up here. I doubt Watt would be that sellable after another 2 or 3 year contract.  

Thats pretty much it Iain. If Watt wants to chase the big money then he'll head south, however its just possible that he may have other considerations. If he did want to stay in Scotland then surely a club like Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen might want him. I don't doubt that Dundee are interested in him, as they are in Declan Gallagher, but I don't take that paper talk too seriously. They have a history of shelling out the odd big wage, and don't forget they tried to land Faddy (!!!) years ago. My guess is that they have been trying desperately to offload Cummings for some time and that would free up £2.5- £4 grand a week. 

• David locked this topic