2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

24 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not quite sure why people seem to think Watt doesn't want to be here? He's looking like he'll sign a deal with United for next season, but that doesn't mean he suddenly can't be bothered and doesn't want to be here now?

I'm fairly certain that he's thoroughly enjoyed his time here, and if we could match what United offered I think he'd have happily stayed. But we couldn't or didn't choose to, so he's right to take the deal that works best for his family's future. 

Until he leaves though, I'm sure we'll get 100% out of him. Be it end the of the season or next month with a transfer fee.

You seem an awfy trusting individual 

• Haha 1

Players come and go, this is what happens. Most who leave I’m not too bothered about… there’s the odd one that I’m gutted to see go, but you wish them all the best (Campbell, Moult)… then there’s the occasional sore one (usually because of the timing / poor fee / where they’re going / how it happens (Hastie). 

Watt is in the ‘sore one’ category for me. I don’t have anything against Dundee United particularly, although they’re clearly a rival for top 6 and maybe the European places. 

I just thought Watt and MFC were a good match, and he’s been a very important player for us. I’m a bit gutted actually. But I’m now in the camp of do the best deal we can in January and get a replacement in, which isn’t going to be easy. Say min £100K plus £100K if they finish above us in the  league. 

The club will know what their selling price is. Reports suggest that we are looking for a 6 figure fee, which could mean almost anything. I'd be looking for £200k at the very very least, but given he's the Premiership's top scorer would try for a fair bit more. Conclude the deal at 11pm on last day of window. Two sides can be awkward. If United won't meet our figure there's no deal.

Nobody giving much away

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59715614

Assistant manager Chris Lucketti said afterwards they would need to "see what happens" in regard to the league's leading marksman and "who knows what the month will bring"..

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/tony-watt-dundee-united-boss-has-say-on-reported-signing-of-motherwell-striker-and-key-moment-in-hibs-game-3507605

Reports claim that the Tannadice outfit have agreed a three-year deal with cinch Premiership’s top scorer and that the two clubs are in negotiations over a fee for a January transfer rather than waiting until the summer.

When asked about the Watt situation in the wake of Sunday’s 3-1 defeat by Hibs, Courts said: "There's nothing to report on that. I've been speaking to the club in terms of what we need in reinforcements in January and we would like to strengthen up the pitch in terms of creativity and in goalscoring. That player is contracted to another club so it's difficult to speak about that."I would like to think we can bring someone in during January or at the end of the season.

"I'm not aware of anyone signing a pre-contract as of yet."

22 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

Watt is in the ‘sore one’ category for me. I don’t have anything against Dundee United particularly, although they’re clearly a rival for top 6 and maybe the European places. 

I just thought Watt and MFC were a good match, and he’s been a very important player for us. I’m a bit gutted actually. But I’m now in the camp of do the best deal we can in January and get a replacement in, which isn’t going to be easy. Say min £100K plus £100K if they finish above us in the  league. 

Well said. I agree it's a sore one,  we've been great for him and vice versa.  I genuinely thought he's resign for us unless life changing money came into the equation. Would have been much happier to see him go to D1 club.

From a footballing perspective I think he's making a mistake given he's fitted in so well. Appreciate money talks but sticks in my throat that a club like Utd are a bigger club . 

33 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Odd that United are being coy now. Keen to speak to the press when it suits them then they clam up when it doesn't. IF a deal is struck, we should insert a clause to prevent him from playing against us this season. That shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I’m sad to see TW leaving us especially to a league rival who gives him little or no extra exposure to make the Scotland squad, to a manager who hasn’t got a profile like GA, Just seems such a negative move for him, but then again he’s got history of negative moves or perhaps a bad agent!

I would have wished him all the best of luck if he was heading to the English leagues but I personally think he’s making the wrong move having found a club that fits his style at Well, so with that thought I’ll say ta ta Tony n you’ll likely drift into obscurity again.

Hoping that GA has a replacement lined up but I think Shields n KVV should be given a run upon the start up after the early plague break.

A great performance today by KVV, I’m hoping the big man has found his scoring boots now!

Onwards n upwards to 3rd!

COYW!!!!!

51 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Odd that United are being coy now. Keen to speak to the press when it suits them then they clam up when it doesn't. IF a deal is struck, we should insert a clause to prevent him from playing against us this season. That shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Celtic levels of paranoia, unless you have some sort of secret proof that Dundee Utd have been speaking to the press?

Good win today, performance not great but it’s the win that counts, good to see Donnelly getting a good 90, hopefully a forward line boost in January, life after Tony Watt looking good, hope United go on the downward spiral and we stay chasing European football COYW.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Celtic levels of paranoia, unless you have some sort of secret proof that Dundee Utd have been speaking to the press?

Are you really that naieve to think that a club can't get a story in the press and make sure it's not directly attributed to them, that's what football agents are for, and for me that's what happened here, leak it via an agent or other party then use the " can't confirm or deny anything line" when asked a direct question.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59796062

Tony Watt: Motherwell striker to sign for Dundee United next season

_112696307_capture.jpg
By Jane LewisBBC Scotland

Last updated on1 minute ago1 minute ago.From the sectionDundee Utd

Zander Clark and Tony Watt Tony Watt has been the Scottish Premiership's leading scorer this season

Scottish Premiership top scorer Tony Watt will play for Dundee United next season after agreeing a pre-contract.

The 27-year-old has scored 19 times for Motherwell but turned down an improved deal to stay at Fir Park.

Watt, who has been capped once for Scotland, signed for Motherwell in February 2020 after spells abroad in Belgium and Bulgaria.

He was an unused substitute in the Lanarkshire side's 2-1 win over Livingston on Sunday.

However, Motherwell assistant manager Chris Lucketti told BBC Scotland that the club won't have an issue playing him in future games.

"We'll just see what happens with Tony," said Lucketti.

"While Tony is here I'm sure he'll give everything to the cause.

United will be Watt's 13th club having also played for Celtic, Hearts, and St Johnstone.

Dundee United declined to comment.

Its a real shame it has come to this, but I expect he has played his last game for the club.

There are ways to manage your departure without pissing off the fans and this isnt it.

It would be nice to keep a fully focused Tony Watt to the end of the season, but the reaction form the 500 fans there yesterday will only be multiplied 10 fold when the fans are back in.

The club cant afford to let that unrest poison our season. Get what we can from United in January and move on.

Looking on the bright side. At least it wasnt Dundee!

17 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Its a real shame it has come to this, but I expect he has played his last game for the club.

There are ways to manage your departure without pissing off the fans and this isnt it.

It would be nice to keep a fully focused Tony Watt to the end of the season, but the reaction form the 500 fans there yesterday will only be multiplied 10 fold when the fans are back in.

The club cant afford to let that unrest poison our season. Get what we can from United in January and move on.

Looking on the bright side. At least it wasnt Dundee!

Exactly move him out in January, we don't need his distraction. We must concentrate on players who do want to play for us and win a place in the squad.  I'm reasonably confident his departure will be negated by the current squad and some January arrivals. He's history and joins the Gallagher, Hastie , Cadden, Tait  and Wishart list of cunts  who left leaving a bad taste in the mouth and suitably boo'ed every time he plays against us.  Hope he's as successful with UTD as Gallagher is proving with Aberdeen. I'd really piss myself if UTD ended up in the play offs or even worse. Id have Tom Boyd on the cunts list but he left in an appropriate manner but has become a huge cunt since.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

Don’t get the drama some folk are having over TW’s possible move. The guys done reasonably well with us and as such has potentially  landed himself a better deal elsewhere. 

Spot on, he turned down our new offer and found a better one elsewhere so he's done nothing wrong in my opinion.  We could get some cash for him in the January window, depends how desperate untd are to get him in, but for me we should knock back any offer and keep him for the season it's not good business to move on your top scorer to a close rival team mid season

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Spot on, he turned down our new offer and found a better one elsewhere so he's done nothing wrong in my opinion.  We could get some cash for him in the January window, depends how desperate untd are to get him in, but for me we should knock back any offer and keep him for the season it's not good business to move on your top scorer to a close rival team mid season

True statement to start with. Had the pre contract been with a team from another league I’m sure most people would have been delighted for him. However, since it’s with a direct rival it’s hard to wish him well, although having said that I hope he does well personally for his family but that Utd don’t finish above motherwell any season.  
  The hard decision is do we sell him now(would Utd pay enough?) or do we keep him till end of Season. Personally I agree with your last statement that we do not move the league’s top scorer to a rival mid season. So then we come to the issue of play him or not. So that will come down to Watt, the manager and how other players perform. 

7 minutes ago, CoF said:

How should he have manage this departure? 

Couldn’t give a flying feck !!!!

he doesn’t want to play here and I’d rather give game time to Shields who on yesterday’s performance has got something about him Alexander obviously thinks the same as he was not put out on loan. 

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

but for me we should knock back any offer and keep him for the season it's not good business to move on your top scorer to a close rival team mid season

Thats yet another very valid consideration.

United are one of our competitors for a top 6 slot so why help them? Why give a sucker an even break? From what I hear they're desperate to land a striker. If they've struck a "lucrative" deal with Watt thats a chunk out of their budget.  If we hold onto Watt  they'll have to move for someone else in this window, paying out again from their current budget. 

I don’t care what anyone thinks, if a player (no matter if you believe he always gives 100% or not) has signed a pre contract with a rival team, his head will be on securing his future, maintaining his fitness…. Eg not getting injured ,, therefore in my view he will not be running through walls for Motherwell.

if we can get money for him in January…. Six figures would be great.. we should get rid of him. Either that or he’ll be a wage thief until his contract expires in June. 
i get the feeling GA won’t be too keen to play him either(rightly imo) so I just don’t see the point in him winding down his contract. Not that I’m too interested in watt or dundee Utd but it does them no favours either. He’s not exactly a guy who keeps himself in peak fitness, sitting on the bench will make sure he adds the excess pounds he had last year and probably make him slower than he is already.

We’ve lost way better players in Tony watt and I won’t shed any tears with him leaving. He’s done fine for us and we’ve been good for him but if he wants to kiss another badge and fawn false love for another club all over social media good luck to him. 

• Like 1

Difficult situation for the club this . But in Burrows ,McMahon etc, the board I’m sure they’ll do what’s best for the clubs interests and by default the fans also . 
Don’t think we need a poisonous,divided support  on this matter but at the same time I don’t think that would really bother Watt .

Should we let him go to our nearest rivals now……. Not for me . Could cost us money in league placings and possibly even European spot . 
So for me he stays with us trains with us and moves in the summer . But down the pecking order re appearances if even in the match squad . 
It looks to me that it was felt among the support he was moving anyway but this situation could have been avoided . 
However one thing Tony if your reading this . What was all the badge hugging ,jumping up on the wall after scoring etc all about . Looks a bit engineered to me . Poor stuff . You don’t try and take the piss out your on support 

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Thats yet another very valid consideration.

United are one of our competitors for a top 6 slot so why help them? Why give a sucker an even break? From what I hear they're desperate to land a striker. If they've struck a "lucrative" deal with Watt thats a chunk out of their budget.  If we hold onto Watt  they'll have to move for someone else in this window, paying out again from their current budget. 

Whether we like it or not, most of this comes down to agreements between clubs and players.

We bring in players on the basis that we can improve their careers and, if they succeed, they can move on to better things. You often hear managers saying "we won't stand in their way" - and they mean that. Most of them have been players themselves, and know how a transfer negotiation can affect your game.

The pre-contract situation just makes things more complicated. Some players can handle that no problem. Skippy is a good example of that. Others, not so much.

Then you need to account for other factors such as strength of the current squad, available replacements (if required), finances, cost of selling vs higher league position and, as others have pointed out, is the player moving to a rival.

I get the feeling that if we held on to Watt until the summer that he'd adopt the right attitude and maintain his level of performance. However, the club might feel it's better to bring in some cash and new blood and let Watt move on in January.  With the possibility of reduced numbers in the crowds (or no crowds at all) looming, that also might factor in the equation.

A final consideration is that if we do let Watt move on, it again shows to potential new signings that we are a good club to deal with if you are looking to develop your career.

The only surprise to me is that he seems to be choosing Dundee Utd. It seems like he doesn't want to leave Scotland again, but happy to risk leaving the club he says "suits him perfectly" for a relatively small bump in wages.

• David locked this topic