2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

2 hours ago, CoF said:

How should he have managed this departure? 

Well first of all dont kiss the badge and indicate your going nowhere in front of the East stand if youve signed a pre contract.

Secondly, if you are moving on try and make it to a bigger club in another league.

Thirdly, if you cant manage 1 and 2, try and make sure you, your agent or the club you are going to dont leak it to the newspapers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

I get the feeling that if we held on to Watt until the summer that he'd adopt the right attitude and maintain his level of performance. However, the club might feel it's better to bring in some cash and new blood and let Watt move on in January.  With the possibility of reduced numbers in the crowds (or no crowds at all) looming, that also might factor in the equation.

Fanciful notion.

With the best will in the world nobody on here likely to understand the inner workings of the professional dressing room. Think you may find performance on the park differs greatly from the application off the pitch and on social media platforms. Club well aware of this.

Bring in some cash now? Think folks need to realise bulk of any cash sum will only serve to pay the players’ contract up in full.

1 minute ago, Onthefringes said:

Fanciful notion.

With the best will in the world nobody on here likely to understand the inner workings of the professional dressing room. Think you may find performance on the park differs greatly from the application off the pitch and on social media platforms. Club well aware of this.

Bring in some cash now? Think folks need to realise bulk of any cash sum will only serve to pay the players’ contract up in full.

Like I said, Skippy was signed by Celtic in March, but played for us the remainder of the season. So while it's not typical, it's certainly possible.

In general though, I tend to agree that when player wants to leave we should just punt them ASAP.  In this particular case, I'd let him go early for free, but add a clause in the contract that says Utd pay us £20k for each goal he scores before the end of the season.

16 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Like I said, Skippy was signed by Celtic in March, but played for us the remainder of the season. So while it's not typical, it's certainly possible.

The fact that he was given a fair wedge  of cash from his transfer certainly helped to keep him onside.

Honest question, do Dundee United have the money to put in an acceptable bid for Watt right now?

I am firmly of the opinion that if we could something for him now, we should take it. The chances of him maintaining the standards he has set over the previous months after this distraction seem limited, and we could end up paying wages to a guy who is not going to feature in our squad on a weekly basis. The fact that this situation has alienated a proportion of the support only increases the likelihood of this, if he does stay until the end of the season. It is probably in the best interests of the club if we can move him on sooner rather than later,

3 hours ago, eddiemunster said:

Tony Watt will fail at Dundee United. Bookmark this and tell me I'm right in 12 months 

Personally I don’t believe he will do as well there. There is also the financial uncertainty at Dundee United which could see pressure on them to cut costs down the line. They look to be making the very same mistakes and spending money they don’t have and that rarely ends well. From a football perspective its a backwards move and he may well look back and see his time here as the best spell of his footballing career, but of course he will be able to do that while raking in more money which is all this is about.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Personally I don’t believe he will do as well there. There is also the financial uncertainty at Dundee United which could see pressure on them to cut costs down the line. They look to be making the very same mistakes and spending money they don’t have and that rarely ends well. From a football perspective its a backwards move and he may well look back and see his time here as the best spell of his footballing career, but of course he will be able to do that while raking in more money which is all this is about.

Do as well is relative. No matter how he does or doesnt do Dundee UTD will win exactly the same as us which will be bugger all and will have cost them alot more. Even if they get the european place they will be out on their are after 2 games. So is it worth the investment over a 3 year deal?? 

12 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Do as well is relative. No matter how he does or doesnt do Dundee UTD will win exactly the same as us which will be bugger all and will have cost them alot more. Even if they get the european place they will be out on their are after 2 games. So is it worth the investment over a 3 year deal?? 

I would say no it’s not, they could I guess make a claim for a shot at the cup ?

3 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Fanciful notion.

Why would we need to pay up his contract in full if he is transferred and he is the one that wants to move? Surely moving to his new club on double the salary with whatever signing on fee they have promised him is reward enough? If we were punting him and he was losing out financially, then I would agree we would be legally bound to honour his contract, but thats not the situation here surely?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Does it not mean Utd paying us for the remainder of his contract? That's usually a big part of transfer fees.

If thats the case, he would earn very roughly 26 x say £1,900 which would come to about £50K. We're reportedly looking for a 6 figure fee. Even if my arithmetic is a bit out I'd think the remaining part of his contract wouldn't come near £100k. However, no doubt theres a lot more to it than that.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Why would we need to pay up his contract in full if he is transferred and he is the one that wants to move? Surely moving to his new club on double the salary with whatever signing on fee they have promised him is reward enough? If we were punting him and he was losing out financially, then I would agree we would be legally bound to honour his contract, but thats not the situation here surely?

Deary me… 

Tony Watt has turned out to be a really good signing for us, and we will undoubtedly miss his performances once he has gone. However, as others have said, better players than Tony Watt have left Motherwell, and we have survived. He leaves Motherwell a better player than he arrives, which in the great scheme of things , is a pretty good look for the club. How many of the other dozen or so clubs that Tony Watt has left would have said that they will miss him?

I do think his time with us is up though, and best for all parties if we can agree a deal which is not taking the piss in terms of a fee, and move on

2 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Why do you never answer a question?

If you have an insight others dont, you could answer it and make us all better informed.....

Behave. The question was already answered in another post following yours.

it’s not an insight that others don’t have - just an understanding how footballing contracts work. Mindful that they differ greatly from standard employment types. A different world.

I've said it on other platforms, in my opinion we do not give Dundee Utd a player who could improve their team in the coming six months unless they part with at least £200k in January. 

If they don't or can't, Tony Watt stays until his contract is up and can watch Motherwell from the stand every week until he leaves. We will get on without him, as Sunday helped to prove and

I'm sure the manager will be looking at other options as well. No player is bigger than MFC.

33 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Behave. The question was already answered in another post following yours.

it’s not an insight that others don’t have - just an understanding how footballing contracts work. Mindful that they differ greatly from standard employment types. A different world.

Clearly an insight I dont have, and still dont really understand. You could help me out?

• David locked this topic