2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

10 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

BBC gossip page reporting that Shankland may be on his way out from Beerschott in Belgium anyone reckon he might be worth looking at?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59920548

I’m not a huge fan personally. I can’t say I’ve seen enough to suggest he’s a really effective  top level striker. We do of course have a really positive habit of getting the best out of many players but I’m more confident in Shields developing further than I am Shankland.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

BBC gossip page reporting that Shankland may be on his way out from Beerschott in Belgium anyone reckon he might be worth looking at?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59920548

His stats are impressive - 80 goals in 160 games in last 2 seasons - that's far better than any other striker we've had at the club for some time.

Not sure what's not to like about that.  I'd be more surprised if we were able to get him - suspect many teams will pay a pretty penny for that type of goal return. 

I've never got the Shankland love, he banged them in for fun in the lower leagues but so did Derek Adams, his SPL goal scoring record was dreadful.

I'd have Lafferty well before Griffiths or Shankland but I'd have some Championship loanee ahead of all three. Someone like Cole/Lang who is hungry at the start of his career, you'd imagine GA has knowledge of and contacts to get more in like that.

22 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

His stats are impressive - 80 goals in 160 games in last 2 seasons - that's far better than any other striker we've had at the club for some time.

Not sure what's not to like about that.  I'd be more surprised if we were able to get him - suspect many teams will pay a pretty penny for that type of goal return. 

Most of those goals are at Championship level though. His stats for Premiership league games are nothing special.

Shankland has chased the money twice now and it hasn't worked out for him (bank balance aside) Sure he was on about 5grand a week at United?

If he's looking to settle at a club back home for a while and hone his game, perhaps with a view of moving onto the English Championship, we'd be the perfect club for him. 

If he's available and within our wage structure we'd be mad not to consider him IMO.

It would also piss United off which would be a bonus!

• Like 1

Absolutely a Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen type signing.

Hearts really need a striker in particular.

He's been a bit up and down at the top level but, seriously, look at the strikers in this league across all the teams and he probably plays for anyone outside the top two.

Someone on P & B pointing out that Shankland can only sign for Utd in this window, as he’s already played for 2 clubs this season. That would suggest he won’t be heading to us - glad about that as he hasn’t really shone at the top level over his career 

I haven't written off Shankland as  a top flight striker, but until he puts together two or three seasons in the Premiership where he is comfortably into double figures I'm still unconvinced. When Craig Moore was his partner at Ayr Utd (and not injured) he had a decent goal return too. Likewise in his loan spell at Cowdenbeath. But he proved with us he couldn't quite hack it in the Premier League.

I'm also unconvinced he can play the high press, high energy game GA required from his strikers.

I think Shankland can probably still do a job in the SPL, but given the likely finances involved, Im not sure it would be good business for us. Given we play a front 3, Im not sure how you fit him and KVV into the same starting 11, which would mean one of them warming the bench. If Watt does leave, then its a similar type of player we need on that side of the pitch. Shields deserves a chance to see if he can make the place his own and we still need to see where Ross Tierney fits into the picture. I wouldnt rule out us signing another forward, but I dont think its essential.

Shaw looks like a good addition, but I share the concern about what that means for Cornelius. If he adds quality to the midfield, it would be foolish not to use him, but Id hate to think it blocks Deano's opportunity to stake a claim whilst developing a rivals player for them.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Shields deserves a chance to see if he can make the place his own and we still need to see where Ross Tierney fits into the picture. I wouldnt rule out us signing another forward, but I dont think its essential.

Yes, Shields does deserve his chance. I get the impression that Tierney is an attacking midfielder, not a striker. If we lose both Roberts and Watt then I think at least one replacement is  necessary up front.

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

According to BBC gossip we have had a bid for Zak Rudden rejected, interesting considering GA has supposed to have said we didn’t need another striker at the moment which might suggest TW will be away this month.

No idea what Rudden is like but looks like a Jordan White type player?

Quite the opposite, he knows how to actually play football with regards to not just standing there like a wooden plank. Rudden only 21 too plenty of potential, pretty prolific so far. Think he’d be a cracking signing for us. 

So we've joined the queue for Rudden have we? St Johnstone, Dundee and now us. Maybe Thistle don't want to lose him in this window as he'll be worth more to them if he scores goals to earn them promotion? Six figures does seem a lot for a Championship player with 6 months remaining on his contract though.   Is he that good? Maybe the next Shankland; speaking of which his agent is doing a damn fine job getting more exposure for him with the BBC.

BBC also reporting we're miles apart with Dundee United regarding Watt's fee.  Although they seem to have plenty of cash to burn on wages they've suddenly become hard up when it comes to paying out fees. Ah well, they'll get him in the summer for nought. 

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

BBC also reporting we're miles apart with Dundee United regarding Watt's fee.  Although they seem to have plenty of cash to burn on wages they've suddenly become hard up when it comes to paying out fees. Ah well, they'll get him in the summer for nought. 

As I have said before, they need  him now, so we should be asking at least £250k for him to leave now. If Partick can hold out for six figures for a relatively inexperienced striker, we should be holding out for a lot more for TW.

Edited by yosemite sam
additional words.

Am I right in thinking that since Rudden is under 23 there will be a fee if Thistle offered him  bew contract. Okay it was rangers than held his registration up until he was 19 and they didn't offer him a contract but i assume there would still be some development fee associated with his move come the summer.

Spoke to my thistle supporting mate about him, general opinion is he's decent just now with a good deal of potential nut even just now he'd do a job in the Premiership but wouldn't rely on him as your first choice striker at this stage at that level.

Yep we need to be careful for a young guy that’s not played a huge amount of games at Championship level. Thistle are obviously trying to hold out for good money but he’s out of contract in the summer. Surely he could do a Watt and just sign a pre contract ?

1 minute ago, wunderwell said:

For everyone who writes off Shankland and his goal statistics, I wonder what you all said when Tony Watt signed. Might bring back some of those posts while you all hastily delete them. 

while you are doing that bring back the 100s of posts that just about greet every signing as "terrific signing for us" and they turn out to be pish. Everyone gets it wrong at times , I dare say you do too.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic