2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

30 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Merit in some of that. Doubt those currently training/on trial will wait till the summer.

Competition of course is always needed, I don’t think giving Shields a shot means we can’t bring someone else in to push him. With Watt away we have space freed up.

11 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I see Ojala is back to full fitness. Solid when he is fit. I would fire him straight back in with Sondre and push Mugabi to right back again. SOD can warm the bench for me. Just need a new left back in the summer

Is SOD really that bad a right back ?

3 hours ago, Well Well said:

I see Ojala is back to full fitness. Solid when he is fit. I would fire him straight back in with Sondre and push Mugabi to right back again. SOD can warm the bench for me. Just need a new left back in the summer

Thank god you are a fan! Mugabi has been an absolute monster at centre back in the last few games and O’Donnell has also been excellent. Leave them be!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johnstone said:

Thank god you are a fan! Mugabi has been an absolute monster at centre back in the last few games and O’Donnell has also been excellent. Leave them be!

Good problem to have plus when Lamie is fit again, he was also guilty of playing very well. Lots of competition for places at the back. 

Another defensive midfielder we're apparently interested in taking is Alex Gogic from Hibs, but St Mirren and Ross County are also sniffing about. 

Accies fans seemed to love him but I personally thought he was Lillian Gish, I just remember Curtis Main and Gboly giving him a torrid time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kat said:

Another defensive midfielder we're apparently interested in taking is Alex Gogic from Hibs, but St Mirren and Ross County are also sniffing about. 

Accies fans seemed to love him but I personally thought he was Lillian Gish, I just remember Curtis Main and Gboly giving him a torrid time. 

Stephen Robinson is also interested in taking him to Morecambe but I had also seen the Daily Ranger mentioned a trio of Scottish clubs including us were interested. I was never a fan tbh, always seemed to stoat about the pitch like a headless chicken in the Lanarkshire derbies.

18 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Whilst I’m not convinced of any current link to ourselves, I’ll put my tin hat on as his stoating about the pitch like a headless chicken in Lanarkshire derbies had Allan Campbell in his back pocket time and again.

Did he not play more or less as a centre back for Accies before moving into a midfield role with Hibs? Generally my memory of Campbell in these games was that he was generally always one that got pass marks outwith last season of course. In derby games you tend to notice the passengers when all is not going well for instance in a New Year fixture in December 2017 we were winning 1-0 cruising, Campbell was playing great and he got injured and taken off just before half time and we lost 1-3.

While Hamilton did beat us a numerous times, Gogic always seemed to be a player we got some joy from as he was quite erratic, the Scott McMann own goal game Gogic had a stinker and not to mention the game where Hastie, Turnbull and Ariyibi had them on toast and we were 3-0 up after 30 odd minutes and he was hooked at half time as he couldn't cope.

Just looking at the head to head record when the players actually played against each other in the matchday squad, Gogic didn't come out on top often at all, they met in 8 fixtures where Campbell won 5, Gogic 2 (one being the tie above where Campbell went off injured at 1-0 up) and one draw.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

He played holding midfielder in period I was thinking of, season 19/20.

Appreciate the research, the team coming out on top wasn’t my point. I’d doubt I was the only one who came away from those fixtures reckoning Gogic bossed Campbell.

No, you're not the only one OTF. In the 2-1 reverse at Fir Park that season he completely bossed Alan Campbell. That day he controlled the midfield.

Quote from the Dundee Courier.

"United are now working hard to bring Watt in from Motherwell this month. The up-front portion of the fee secured for teen star Kerr Smith from Aston Villa – understood to be around £800,000 – may allow the Tangerines to seal an early deal with the Well for his services."

Another planted press story  directly from Tannadice. With time fast running out, we should make it quite plain to United to come up with the cash we want or there's no short term deal. We don't want to be in the position of hunting around for a replacement at the very end of the window. That said, I'm sure we actively looking at another striker, should we need one. 

We could be a bit short up front just now; maybe speaking to Hearts about extending Jordan Roberts' loan?  At least we're not in the farcical sitaution that Dundee are currently in! They're desperately trying to offload Cummings and cut short Griiffiths' loan deal, whilst Celtic are trying to extend his loan!     

41 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

He played holding midfielder in period I was thinking of, season 19/20.

Appreciate the research, the team coming out on top wasn’t my point. I’d doubt I was the only one who came away from those fixtures reckoning Gogic bossed Campbell.

17 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

No, you're not the only one OTF. In the 2-1 reverse at Fir Park that season he completely bossed Alan Campbell. That day he controlled the midfield.

Fair enough, I just can't remember that guy being impressive all to often when he played us and I'm generally one to give oppostion players the credit they deserve. Getting hooked at half time, scoring an OG, giving a way a pen are few of his highlights off the top of my head while playing against us, I can imagine him being dominant in the air against Campbell if not much else.

As Kmcalpin pointed out, I do remember that 2019/20 fixture well, I would argue however it was more Hamilton as a unit that bossed us in general in the second half of that game, we had played really well in the first and got the lead early and we eventually paid the price for not taking our chances. Should the guy sign he will get my full support in a 'Well jersey but I'm hoping he isn't really on our list of targets.

I would give Gogic a wide berth, Alexander has done well to move on some of the dead wood in the last few months no point adding more. I must admit I have no recollection of him bossing Campbell either (not suggesting thats not the case) but he always came across as a defender who suffered brain farts regularly, as the user mentioned above he had a horror show at Fir Park when Hastie, Turnbull, Gorrin, Campbell and Gboly had the side 3-0 up in the first half a few seasons ago and the guy was taken off post haste as a result. 

Really sad about the Watt situation, he had a great rapport with the fans and was enjoying the form of his life. Obviously it's probably for the best if he moves on this window, acceptable transfer fee permitting of course, as even though it was only 500 fans in attendance versus Livi, lots of the fans seem to have made their minds up already on him. Its a funny situation as Liam Shaw arrives on loan from Celtic and will go back at the end of the season, Jordan Roberts has had two similar spells and been fully supported yet Watt will be booed on and off the pitch sadly should he remain.

Looking forward to seeing the young guy Tierney as he was highly thought off from his time with Bohemians. 

Irrespective of how good or Bad Gogic is perceived to be, and for me I don't think he would be an upgrade on what we have just now, but do people think we need another midfield player?

Ultimately its down to What GA thinks but unless someone is heading out the door I would rather we brought in cover and/or replacement  for TW

26 minutes ago, maz said:

I would give Gogic a wide berth, Alexander has done well to move on some of the dead wood in the last few months no point adding more. I must admit I have no recollection of him bossing Campbell either (not suggesting thats not the case) but he always came across as a defender who suffered brain farts regularly, as the user mentioned above he had a horror show at Fir Park when Hastie, Turnbull, Gorrin, Campbell and Gboly had the side 3-0 up in the first half a few seasons ago and the guy was taken off post haste as a result. 

Really sad about the Watt situation, he had a great rapport with the fans and was enjoying the form of his life. Obviously it's probably for the best if he moves on this window, acceptable transfer fee permitting of course, as even though it was only 500 fans in attendance versus Livi, lots of the fans seem to have made their minds up already on him. Its a funny situation as Liam Shaw arrives on loan from Celtic and will go back at the end of the season, Jordan Roberts has had two similar spells and been fully supported yet Watt will be booed on and off the pitch sadly should he remain.

Looking forward to seeing the young guy Tierney as he was highly thought off from his time with Bohemians. 

Good point on the loan comparisons to Tony Watt as it kind of puts him in the same situation now, with the exception that he could play against Utd. I’d rather see him stay here till end of season unless Utd hand over a wad of cash. You don’t let the top scorer in the league go for buttons and I don’t see Utd stumping up enough cash to make it worthwhile for us. I think Utd have purposely created this situation hoping that we will throw our arms up in the air and let him go now for a bargain price, hence getting him half season earlier than they would have. Keep him here. 

When we cruised to a 3 - 1 win against Accies on their plastic, Campbell bossed Gogic the entire game.

I still like Gogic as a player though. I'd just hope our scouting system is more advanced than watching one game against us - I believe that's known in the trade as the "Simon Mensing Strategy".

• David locked this topic