2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

We already have Shields written off by one or two and that’s someone that had very high praise by his former club. It’s quite a step up.

I personally think Shields has done pretty well with the chances he's been given. In fact, he could even be a potential replacement for Watt in my opinion. 

We were interested in signing Ash Taylor during the summer but he rebuffed our advances to sign for a team down in England. He has just signed for Kilmarnock, obviously he had played under McInnes at Aberdeen during two spells but I think he had a link to Alexander. Obviously it wasn't a position we needed to fill at this point, just interesting how things turn out.

40 minutes ago, maz said:

We were interested in signing Ash Taylor during the summer but he rebuffed our advances to sign for a team down in England. He has just signed for Kilmarnock, obviously he had played under McInnes at Aberdeen during two spells but I think he had a link to Alexander. Obviously it wasn't a position we needed to fill at this point, just interesting how things turn out.

Wasn't McInnes shagging his wife?

She must be some ride.

He must have a smashing big tadger if it true, seems like a massive downgrade imo. 

I know we beat St Johnstone to the signature of Liam Shaw but I've seen they're trying to sign a defender from Inverness called Robbie Deas, they want a six figure fee for him with the first being rejected. I know we are alright defensively at present but I wonder if hes one we will be looking at. 

Lasley and Alexander at Firhill tonight watching Thistle vs Killie. 

Not seen much of Rudden in action other than when the Jags pumped Accies earlier in the season. He had a tremendous effort wrongly ruled off from the half way line. 

1 hour ago, Kat said:

Lasley and Alexander at Firhill tonight watching Thistle vs Killie. 

Not seen much of Rudden in action other than when the Jags pumped Accies earlier in the season. He had a tremendous effort wrongly ruled off from the half way line. 

Not that impressive in truth.

11 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Not that impressive in truth.

One tame effort on goal. Ran about a lot. Everyone has bad games, but he looked very similar to Jordan White and we know how that turned out for us. 

The Gaffer and Las were there I believe so hopefully that may make them rethink. Supposedly there were 8 or 9 clubs watching the game last night and interested. Would imagine that number is a lot lower now. 

8 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

One tame effort on goal. Ran about a lot. Everyone has bad games, but he looked very similar to Jordan White and we know how that turned out for us. 

The Gaffer and Las were there I believe so hopefully that may make them rethink. Supposedly there were 8 or 9 clubs watching the game last night and interested. Would imagine that number is a lot lower now. 

Personally when I’m watching lower league football I’m looking for someone that has that technical edge even if playing in a poor team or on a poor pitch. White is a good example of a player that certainly puts in the effort as does shields but they don’t have the ability of a Tony Watt who for much of his career was overweight and guilty of a lack of effort. As you say he ran around a lot and is obviously fit but I don't think he would get near the first team. He looks nothing more than championship level to me and I would hope we are not looking at pushing the boat out.

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I've watched Rudden a good few times due to having a Thistle supporting pal.  He's definitely got a lot of positive attributes that didn't really show last night against Killie and on a Firhill pitch that's getting worse by the week. Showed in flashes but I've seen him do a lot better.

Only 21 and worth a pre contract I'd say. It's the likes of Rudden and Shields I personally think we should be taking a chance on from the championship as our backup forwards. Relatively low wages and should be able to improve them. Rather than a Jordan White type Championship striker in his late 20s

10 minutes ago, superward said:

I've watched Rudden a good few times due to having a Thistle supporting pal.  He's definitely got a lot of positive attributes that didn't really show last night against Killie and on a Firhill pitch that's getting worse by the week. Showed in flashes but I've seen him do a lot better.

Only 21 and worth a pre contract I'd say. It's the likes of Rudden and Shields I personally think we should be taking a chance on from the championship as our backup forwards. Relatively low wages and should be able to improve them. Rather than a Jordan White type Championship striker in his late 20s

He’s going to need a way better first touch at Premiership level

3 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

He’s going to need a way better first touch at Premiership level

Agreed. 

Young enough to improve in all elements of his game which is key to any signing, for me, from a level below (Scotland or elsewhere) if we are signing players with a view to the future (i.e. not as ready made starters).

I have the impression, maybe wrongly, that he's overhyped, for a number of reasons including the club he currently plays for. GA and KL will have a far better eye for a player than we do, but he has to have the basic attributes now, such as how to trap a ball and pass. If he hasn't, he can't be taught them now. In other aspects of his game he can, of course, be developed.   

37 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I have the impression, maybe wrongly, that he's overhyped, for a number of reasons including the club he currently plays for. GA and KL will have a far better eye for a player than we do, but he has to have the basic attributes now, such as how to trap a ball and pass. If he hasn't, he can't be taught them now. In other aspects of his game he can, of course, be developed.   

Totally agree.

Haven't seen a player yet with a poor first touch that's gone on to develop one.

That's the 4th time I've seen him this season and sorry, not a player I would spend transfer money on. 

If we got him on a PCA and squad wages(assuming we were still interested) then fine but otherwise nah.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'm not even sure he's being overhyped tbh. Don't think anything I've read is saying he's the next best thing. But he has got some airtime recently because quite a few clubs are having a look at him which for me that's not really hype to be linked with St. J and us!

He was quite fancied at Rangers as a youth, has a bit of a fancy name, scored a good few goals since moving to Thistle and that's about it. 

Expectation/unrealistic expectation will be a big thing. Very much file under decent potential for me.

I see we've gone from writing of players that we've signed (like Mugabi, Lamie etc.) to writing off players we haven't signed - just watched on a Friday night in January.

I've no idea if he can cut it a the top level, but guys like Faddy were giving some good insight to his strengths last night. I imagine that is what coaches and scouts review, and they tend to have much more ability to assess than we do. As far as first touch goes, I don't think it's that bad, but things like that can be coached much more easily than instinct for scoring.

As I said earlier in the thread, for now, he looks to me like he has potential - nothing more than that. If there is competition for his pre-contract signature, however, I'd be surprised if he ends up at Fir Park.

(And if we want to talk about poor first touch, we don't need to look any further than Woolery, but he is in the lineup every week).

11 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I see we've gone from writing of players that we've signed (like Mugabi, Lamie etc.) to writing off players we haven't signed - just watched on a Friday night in January.

I've no idea if he can cut it a the top level, but guys like Faddy were giving some good insight to his strengths last night. I imagine that is what coaches and scouts review, and they tend to have much more ability to assess than we do. As far as first touch goes, I don't think it's that bad, but things like that can be coached much more easily than instinct for scoring.

As I said earlier in the thread, for now, he looks to me like he has potential - nothing more than that. If there is competition for his pre-contract signature, however, I'd be surprised if he ends up at Fir Park.

(And if we want to talk about poor first touch, we don't need to look any further than Woolery, but he is in the lineup every week).

I don’t believe there is anything wrong in having an opinion on a player that is not even at the club, we do that all the time in various sports. Should the club chose to sign him he will certainly have my support but at this point it’s just an observation on a player from another club. I don’t rate Shankland that highly either.

• David locked this topic