2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

18 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

I don’t believe there is anything wrong in having an opinion on a player that is not even at the club, we do that all the time in various sports. Should the club chose to sign him he will certainly have my support but at this point it’s just an observation on a player from another club. I don’t rate Shankland that highly either.

Agreed,having watched the game last night,I wasn't overly impressed with rudden but I wouldn't be writing him off on the back of it and at the same time if he played well last night,I wouldn't be going over board and saying get him signed as soon as possible.it looks like he's a young player that's still very much raw,I certainly wouldn't be against us signing him on a pre contract and taking a chance on him and see how he develops.my only concern would be losing watt and bringing in rudden as his replacement this month,I'm not sure it's the time.in the season to be taking such a gamble,I know we won't be signing a finished article if watt leaves but someone with a bit of experience would be required.shields has improved but is still a work in progress,if we added rudden and something happened to van veen,I would be seriously concerned where the goals would come from.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

One tame effort on goal. Ran about a lot. Everyone has bad games, but he looked very similar to Jordan White and we know how that turned out for us. 

The Gaffer and Las were there I believe so hopefully that may make them rethink. Supposedly there were 8 or 9 clubs watching the game last night and interested. Would imagine that number is a lot lower now. 

I very much doubt any of the clubs looking are basing their assessment on one game. 

• Like 1

Hi hope everyone's good.  I am currently studying business and as part of my course I was given the choice on what I would write my report on and so I am writing about transitioning to become a fan owned club.  I am not allowed to use my own opinions for the report so I have made a survey to ask other fans what they think, the survey will only take a couple of minutes to complete.  I will leave the link below and I really appreciate if anyone can spare a couple of minutes to help me out. 

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/867RBRX

I am new to this forum as well so apologies if I'm not allowed to post this kind of thing 

I would like to add GA has made alot of players improve game with us Watt,Mugabi and Lamie even McGinlay has improved alot.Christ he might have even made a goalie out of Aaron Chapman wait sorry I took that to far even Fergie couldn't do that.

I mind tons of folk on here saying we need to explore lower Scottish leagues we do so and folk are moaning.Worth a punt aye but sounds like the boy is already on a hiding to nothing and he hasn't even been offered a contract yet lol.

Imagine having two players from lower leagues in Shields and Rudden fighting for places in our team that puts a smile on my face.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I would like to add GA has made alot of players improve game with us Watt,Mugabi and Lamie even McGinlay has improved alot.Christ he might have even made a goalie out of Aaron Chapman wait sorry I took that to far even Fergie couldn't do that.

I mind tons of folk on here saying we need to explore lower Scottish leagues we do so and folk are moaning.Worth a punt aye but sounds like the boy is already on a hiding to nothing and he hasn't even been offered a contract yet lol.

Imagine having two players from lower leagues in Shields and Rudden fighting for places in our team that puts a smile on my face.

GA has certainly improved a good few players, he deserves a lot of credit for that. I still think commenting on a player from another club is fine and I don’t believe that means he won’t receive support if the club choose to sign him. Forums are all about offering different opinions and I think giving an opinion on other teams and their players is part of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Of course there are many promising players in the lower leagues, including the Championship, who have potential and will make the step up succesfully. However Rudden is slightly different. If he had been playing with the likes of Arbroath, Morton or QoS there would not have been as much media hype. But the fact is that he plays with a team that every Scots football fan has a soft spot for. His manager Ian McCall has said that 8 or 9 clubs would be watching him on Friday. Stirring up an auction...yes. Its not uncommon for a decent player to supposedly attract interest from 3 or maybe 4 clubs - I give you Dykes, Turnbull, Shankland, Campbell, Watt et al. However "8 or 9" suggests that this player is something extra special.  Thats what fans have been basing their expectations on. You can't judge a player on one game of course, but with so many watching eyes from the stands he is under pressure to prove what he's capable of. Friday night wasn't a good start.

47 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Of course there are many promising players in the lower leagues, including the Championship, who have potential and will make the step up succesfully. However Rudden is slightly different. If he had been playing with the likes of Arbroath, Morton or QoS there would not have been as much media hype. But the fact is that he plays with a team that every Scots football fan has a soft spot for. His manager Ian McCall has said that 8 or 9 clubs would be watching him on Friday. Stirring up an auction...yes. Its not uncommon for a decent player to supposedly attract interest from 3 or maybe 4 clubs - I give you Dykes, Turnbull, Shankland, Campbell, Watt et al. However "8 or 9" suggests that this player is something extra special.  Thats what fans have been basing their expectations on. You can't judge a player on one game of course, but with so many watching eyes from the stands he is under pressure to prove what he's capable of. Friday night wasn't a good start.

Unimpressed with petulant kick at the goal keeper aswell..seems he still has his rangers roots

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Respectfully disagree with some of that. Maybe right for the majority but not all fans.   In my case, and a similar to a few others by the looks of it: 

- I defintley don't have a soft spot for Thistle. Never have. Even with my mate being a fan. (See also: My feelings on Dundee United)

- I don't think he's getting the extra media because of it either. I'd say it's mainly because he's an ex Rangers youth and scored some goals on his first perm move away from that club. He was well fancied as a youngster. If it had been a youth from us, who dropped down to the championship and scored goals for Thistle, I don't think we'd have heard about it as much.

- I've been aware of him for a good while. I think mainly because I used to see his name in the Scotland youth squads and it kinda stands out. I also remember Ray McKinnon banging on about him when he went to Falkirk and started well.

So for me, personally, he's not suddenly jumped on to my radar. Which is maybe why my expectations are slightly different.

On 1/15/2022 at 2:46 PM, weeyin said:

I see we've gone from writing of players that we've signed (like Mugabi, Lamie etc.) to writing off players we haven't signed - just watched on a Friday night in January.

Still remember the carnage on here when we signed Tim Clancy!

39 minutes ago, superward said:

Respectfully disagree with some of that. Maybe right for the majority but not all fans.   In my case, and a similar to a few others by the looks of it: 

- I defintley don't have a soft spot for Thistle. Never have. Even with my mate being a fan. 

Sorry I was being facetious about Partick. I don't have a soft spot for them either. It was a phrase used not uncommonly by the media, who have had a long love in with Partick. Maybe because the BBC had their HQ not far from Maryhill. The last person I heard say something along these lines was Richard Gordon a few years ago. Something about every Scots fan's second club being Partick. Patronising and untrue.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Sorry I was being facetious about Partick. I don't have a soft spot for them either. It was a phrase used not uncommonly by the media, who have had a long love in with Partick. Maybe because the BBC had their HQ not far from Maryhill. The last person I heard say something along these lines was Richard Gordon a few years ago. Something about every Scots fan's second club being Partick. Patronising and untrue.

Correct. I grew up with an intense dislike of Partick Thistle mostly down to a combination of the media’s live in for them (and that was way before the days of the internet/social media etc) and the fact that we more often than not struggled against them.

Even in the mid 90s when we were finishing second/third we always found Thistle a bogey side. I remember us needing a Nicky Walker own goal in stoppage time to rescue a point at home against them circa 95 and then Alex Burns (who was hopeless for us) scored for fun against us for them in 02/03 when we couldn’t buy a win against them.

That, and their fans are irritating wanks.

4 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Quite enjoy the place myself, easy to get to, always a decent atmosphere, good view from the stand. The pitch is the main problem.

The pitch is a problem mostly because of their recent sharing with Queens Park.

The reason I don't have a soft spot for them is because when I first started watching Motherwell, Thistle used to be our bogey team and regularly get a result regardless of the form book, My old grandpa used to wind me up about it. He wasn't a Thistle fan, he just enjoyed a good wind-up (like most good grandpas) - and I was young and impressionable.

I don't hate them, though, and would have been quite happy to see them beat Killie on Friday.

An assessment of Zak Rudden by the Dundee Courier, primarily for St Johnstone fans. 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2911191/zak-rudden-analysis-did-st-johnstone-signing-target-show-in-partick-thistle-v-kilmarnock-game-he-is-what-perth-club-need/

As an aside, Dundee United are announcing, via the tabloid press, that a deal for Tony Watt is imminent and in time for tomorrow night's games.

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

Been confirmed, he’s away.

I would prefer the money we got for Watt to be spent on securing the signature, on new contracts of players, already at the club than on bringing someone new in in this window.

7 minutes ago, andalg said:

I would prefer the money we got for Watt to be spent on securing the signature, on new contracts of players, already at the club than on bringing someone new in in this window.

Like who? most are signed up for new few years. Bevis and Darragh O'Connor are the only two out of the 2022 crop that I would keep. Lamie has already indicated he is leaving in the summer and the rest I would happily let go.

• David locked this topic