2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Disappointed he is away now tbh. Not because I'd want him playing for us, but because it will undoubtedly strengthen Dundee Utd who are a few places behind us. I just hope we got a decent fee for him.

I see Roberts as a replacement for Watt more than Shields, who has done well out wide but is more suited to through the middle imo.

Edit - re the discussion above about wingers and forwards, I thought Watt and Woolery played more as wingers than forwards, they did a power of tracking back.

I hope we don't face Dundee Utd in a Scottish Cup Penalty shoot out , you just know what would happen.

47 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

It seems that Tierney is viewed as an attacking player, so I wouldn't be surprised if we held off on bringing in another forward. Roberts can operate in the same wide areas Watt was effective in, so maybe this is his chance.

Is Tierney not a midfielder, albeit an attacking one? Watt was a striker.

Going on what GA said on his interview today, he said Tierney was an attacker, albeit one that can fill multiple positions. Someone on P&B did one of those heat map things for Watt and Tierney, and they were surprisingly similar. Although, that would be from when Watt played out wide to accommodate VV.

The footballing nomad moves on surprise surprise, i think we saw the best of him. 

Feel for the fans that were conned by his celebrations, just remember football is a business very few players have a genuine love for the club like the fans do.

Always much more respect for the like of Alan Campbell, and Davie Turnbull

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I hope we don't face Dundee Utd in a Scottish Cup Penalty shoot out , you just know what would happen.

I know what you mean there but you could say the same for any other top flight side were we to face them in a penalty shootout. We would lose.

Our record in penalty shootouts is shocking and I believe it is the case that we have NEVER beaten a top flight side in a penalty shootout.

3 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

I know what you mean there but you could say the same for any other top flight side were we to face them in a penalty shootout. We would lose.

Our record in penalty shootouts is shocking and I believe it is the case that we have NEVER beaten a top flight side in a penalty shootout.

im more suggesting TW scores the winning penalty ..lol

2 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

im more suggesting TW scores the winning penalty ..lol

I know that but I would not trust us to win a penalty shootout against any side, especially a top flight side, with Tony Watt being one of their takers or not.

11 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

be interesting to see if Alan Burrows appears on twitter fulsome in his praise of TW and wishing him well... 

I know some fans think players and clubs exhibit the same level of tribalism you see in the stands, but at the end of the day it's just a workplace. And same as most workplaces, when you leave, your mates and boss usually wish you well and keep being your mates.

Our recruitment model continues to be bringing in players looking to boost their career for whatever reason. TW is a great example of someone who benefited from signing for us and someone we can point to when we are looking to recruit the next TW. If we bitch about them after they leave, it's not a good look.

• Like 3

I think Firhill has long had a problem with the pitch. It's next to the canal and one Thistle fan told me it was actually below the level of it (don't know if that's actually true). 
I remember a cup replay in the 70s after a 1-1 draw at Fir Park when Jim Herriot broke his leg in a clash with Willie Pettigrew. (he went in with his legs rather than his head/hands). There was so little grass on the pitch that the glare off the bare clay  from the floodlights gave me a splitting headache. My memory is we won with an amazing long-range header from Willie Watson (ex-Man Utd), an excellent full back whose overlapping was impressive too.

Not sure who’s memory is playing tricks - yours or mine . Definitely won 1-0 at Firhill (Willie Watson header), but think the game finished 0-0 at Fir Park. Don’t remember a leg break, but I’m sure Sam Goodwin got sent off after about a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Not sure who’s memory is playing tricks - yours or mine emoji23.png. Definitely won 1-0 at Firhill (Willie Watson header), but think the game finished 0-0 at Fir Park. Don’t remember a leg break, but I’m sure Sam Goodwin got sent off after about a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the Sam Goodwin ordering off after about 90 seconds. I remember the Willie Watson winner at Firhill, deep in extra time. I think it was on a Monday night because there were no penalty shoot outs then, 90 minutes, then a replay with ET, followed by a replay at a neutral venue plus ET, ad infinitum. I can't remember if the two matches were the same season though.

No memory of a leg break. Forgive me, I'm old.

Just now, grumpy said:

I remember the Sam Goodwin ordering off after about 90 seconds. I remember the Willie Watson winner at Firhill, deep in extra time. I think it was on a Monday night because there were no penalty shoot outs then, 90 minutes, then a replay with ET, followed by a replay at a neutral venue plus ET, ad infinitum. I can't remember if the two matches were the same season though.

No memory of a leg break. Forgive me, I'm old.

That's my recollection too - defo a Monday night. Clearly I'm old too. Need to dig out the history books.

On 1/12/2022 at 2:03 PM, C&A not the shop said:

There are rules against that. Once the players registration has been transferred then no other club has the right to dictate who they play against.

If Watt stays and keeps performing as he has so far this season there won't be many book from the stands, subdued applause certainly but not boos.

I think he'll go but you can see why the manager is saying what he's said.

I also see the Record linking us with Roberts on a permanent deal, I assume that's just paper talk based on nothing 

In the first game at firpark John Arroll was the thistle goalie and he got carried off in the first few minutes .(dont think Goodwin was involved) , no sub goalies in those days. Goodwin was sent off I think not long after that. Replay on the Monday night and Wille Watson scored a very late winner with a 20 yard shot. This is etched in my memory because my mate got chased by a dog after re the match , It was the fastest hed ever moved in his life.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, well_said said:

In the first game at firpark John Arroll was the thistle goalie and he got carried off in the first few minutes .(dont think Goodwin was involved) , no sub goalies in those days. Goodwin was sent off I think not long after that. Replay on the Monday night and Wille Watson scored a very late winner with a 20 yard shot. This is etched in my memory because my mate got chased by a dog after re the match , It was the fastest hed ever moved in his life.

You're right it was a daisy cutter into what used to be the "away" end. Goodwin's sending off I'm sure was for taking out someone right in front of the tunnel, so yeah definitely nothing to do with the goalie.

10 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

That's my recollection too - defo a Monday night. Clearly I'm old too. Need to dig out the history books.

I dont think my memory is very reliable either but if anyone had asked me I would have said WW scored from a shot on the edge of the box which went through a few players and into the net. It was a Monday though agreed.

I’ll be watching from my usual afar tonight but think we will win tonight, a 2-0 I’ll say but 3pts needed pretty or otherwise to keep the positivity going.

County will try n kill the game by flooding the midfield n rely on breakaway or set piece to score, with Goss in Midfield we should have enough creativity to get over the line, KVV to score again and probably get booked for dissent, both to  keep his recent form going.

Shields  deserves a start beside KVV n let’s see how the work together. Tierney for his debut and a goal maybe?

Cmon the Well!!!!!

7 minutes ago, johnstone said:

Anyone think we might move for Leigh Griffiths or is his time as an SPL level player over?

Lots of talent but his heads wasted as you say his time as a premiership player is over, plus we don't need any of the baggage that comes with his alleged social media activites, upsetting the dressing room, hope we stay well clear

• David locked this topic