2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

52 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

He doesn't really say anything controversial there at all. We might not agree with the motivation for going to Dundee United, but can't fault what he says there. He praises his new employers, is happy with his decision and doesn't bad mouth Motherwell.  All fair enough, time to move on.

On 1/18/2022 at 10:35 PM, Mintymac said:

Left back required. McGinley is tuned to the moon. Carrol must start in place of him surely on Saturday . Need a solid no nonsense left back that can concentrate for the whole game 

Carroll isn't the answer either IMO but agree I would start him on Saturday.  Mcginley has improved slightly but always has a howler within him every game.  Needs taken out of team for his own sake

Im starting to get a bit annoyed with all the McGinley bashing.

Im not saying the guy doesnt make mistakes. That would be patently untrue. But he does a lot of good stuff that seems to get overlooked, while other players seem to get a free ride.

Bevis and Sol both made worse mistakes than McGinley on Tuesday night imho, but nobody is demanding they are taken out of the team.

Most (not all) have also ignored the great interception he made just before Ross County scored the first goal. Covering for team mates who made mistakes.

The guy isnt perfect but he is a better defender than Carroll, who may be great going forward, but gets caught out of position all the time, hence why he isnt starting.

Until we sign someone better, which is unlikely on our budget, he is the best we have in that position.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Im not saying the guy doesnt make mistakes. That would be patently untrue. But he does a lot of good stuff that seems to get overlooked, while other players seem to get a free ride.

Bevis and Sol both made worse mistakes than McGinley on Tuesday night imho, but nobody is demanding they are taken out of the team.

Yes but the’re not McGinley of SOD so it does not count.

2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Most (not all) have also ignored the great interception he made just before Ross County scored the first goal. Covering for team mates who made mistakes.

The guy isnt perfect but he is a better defender than Carroll, who may be great going forward, but gets caught out of position all the time, hence why he isnt starting.

Until we sign someone better, which is unlikely on our budget, he is the best we have in that position.

Not McGinley bashing but I’d prefer Carroll in the team. I just think he adds more to the team. GA prefers McGinley and so that’s who plays. Not sure what the split is but obviously some fans prefer Carroll and others McGinley. Carroll will get his chance to claim that starting position once McGinley gets suspended so we shall see how he gets on when that time comes. 

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I don't rate mcginley or Carroll but certainly can't be accused of bashing them.  Anyone that reads my posts (apart from the jokes)  will hopefully acknowledge I give an honest assessment rather than publicly slating a player

They are what we have to work with at the moment. I think both are decent for our league and maybe midfield or goal scorer higher priority? I think both are prone to giving us issues i defense but, for me, Carroll will at least give you more in attack. With KVV in the middle and perhaps Shields on there as well I think Carroll would be a good choice and best option to be whipping balls into the danger zone for those 2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Heisenboab said:

Seen reports that Zak Rudden has signed a pre-contract with Dundee.

Not overly worried about that. Dundee have cash to burn as we know and have always been known as a "If its new and shiny we'll buy 3 " kind of club. They'll be desperate to get rid of Cummings and Griffiths.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not overly worried about that. Dundee have cash to burn as we know and have always been known as a "If its new and shiny we'll buy 3 " kind of club. They'll be desperate to get rid of Cummings and Griffiths.

Yeah Cummings has got a move to Australia lined up with Central Coast Mariners. 

8 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Young Tierney caught the eye when he came on. Does not lack confidence and always looking for the ball. Although he looks about 12 year old and with the same build

I think we’ve won a watch, he looks a real prospect.

Really impressed with young Tierney when he came on. Quick and good on the ball. He'll need to put a stone of muscle on though. The key thing for me is where and how we play him.

The other thing I took from today is that we need to add another striker this window to replace Watt - not necessarily like for like though.

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

We need a winger also, someone that will take on players and actually put a cross in.  I thought hylton was bad but jeez woolery is running him close.  I wonder if 4 4 2 is answer going forward

No we need the comlete opposite. We need another forward who will hold the middle of the park.

Woolery, Roberts and Shields all want to go wide to find space. And aren't as determined to get in the box.

We do need more on the wngs but that is because we are playing 2 fullbacks that cannot cross a ball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

If yesterday was a trial run to see how we play without KVV starting then you would have to think Alexander will desperate to get another striker in as that front three did not work together at all.

I don't see Woolery as a first XI starter: Roberts seems much more talented, more nimble and faster and with more of a football brain than the guy who has seemed a nailed-on starter under GA. To me he doesn't know when or where to run, and that's since I saw him in the first game against Hibs. But what do I know?

KVV seems not to have totally convinced the manager, or maybe he doubts his attitude. Yet, once he came on yesterday, things started to happen. I still think he could work alongside Shields, with  Roberts as a "winger".

Watt was great as an out ball: the ball seemed stuck to his laces and he was great at winning "fouls" while emerging as a genuine goalscorer with great awareness.  But those days are gone now and in the past they must remain :yes:. His comment that he went to DU for footballing reasons and not the money does not convince me at all. False badge-kissers always get on my nazzums.

I doubt we'll move for a striker this month so GA will have to be creative and use what he has at the moment.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic